Other than air- Mtbr.com

Thread: Other than air

Dec 2006

Other than air

Was having trouble with air I've had around 4 flats this year replaced 2 tubes fixed one tube and the other one is leaking it out slowly about 3 days before I fill it with air again. I was thinking of replacing the tube with somthing that will not get flat... was looking at weather strips but not sure what to put in there... any suggestions?

Ologist
    That is strange...How is your rim tape?? Do you have any burls on your rim? You could double it up. Are you using thin racing tubes?

Go tubeless - I haven't had a flat in two years and that included some unanticipated painful rim slamming water bars.

Diaskeuast
    Checking your rim tape is always a good idea, but if you know the punctures are occurring on the outer surface of your tubes, rim tape isn't the problem. I'd recommend making sure that you're running quality tubes and tires. Maybe upgrade to tires with kevlar, which helps reduce punctures. (I've never tried going tubeless, because it's an expensive switch when you need tubeless-compatible wheels.)

As for using anything besides air, I don't know of anything attractive. You could go to Wal-Mart and buy some of those solid-rubber thingamabobs, as long as you're not bothered by obscene weight and a bike that feels like it's dead.

Depending on where, how much and how you ride, four flats in a year isn't necessarily all that bad.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    four flats in a year isn't necessarily all that bad
    Good point. Now when you get 2 flats in the first lap of a 24-hour race, that's when you know you've got a problem...like a hole in your tire that you can stick your finger through. If you've checked everything else out and still think you have a problem, turn your tires inside out and look for holes. I was not able to see a hole of that size from the outside (hidden by a lug) but when I turned it inside out, it was quite obvious.

Dec 2006
    usually I stay to roads and the trails Chester Creek... the ones by Campbell Airstrip

I was looking at upgrading to tubeless but haven't come across to much. The rim tapes in pretty good condition I've had it on for about a year was looking into replacing it but got some differing opinions as to whether or not to change it... I think both tubes are Bontrager the flats mostly (I believe) come from tire changing (Nokians in place of fat tires) It seems strange I thought skinny tires would be easier to put on wider rims but they sure don't cooperate as much as I want... I was looking at those foam things at Walmart but indeed the bike would feel dead... Another thing I have been practicing is overinflation 65 is max I put in 66-70psi

May 2007
    I kept my Nokians on for too long last spring, and managed to get a 4mm gash on the outside of the tire from a filthy old drunky’s bottle somewhere along the Chester Creek trail. Since I traditionally stick more to casual urban riding in the winter, I decided this year to line the tires with Mr. Tuffy for a bit of insurance. They'll add a few ounces to each tire, but the reviews I've read tend to affirm their effectiveness.

Ologist
    Quote Originally Posted by elgeneralsv
    usually I stay to roads and the trails Chester Creek... the ones by Campbell Airstrip

I was looking at upgrading to tubeless but haven't come across to much. The rim tapes in pretty good condition I've had it on for about a year was looking into replacing it but got some differing opinions as to whether or not to change it... I think both tubes are Bontrager the flats mostly (I believe) come from tire changing (Nokians in place of fat tires) It seems strange I thought skinny tires would be easier to put on wider rims but they sure don't cooperate as much as I want... I was looking at those foam things at Walmart but indeed the bike would feel dead... Another thing I have been practicing is overinflation 65 is max I put in 66-70psi
    Thats a lot of pressure for an mtb tire. Is this a hybrid or cross tire?

Members who have read this thread: 0