OT: Questions about Anchorage- Mtbr.com
    HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

OT: Questions about Anchorage

Hello,

As you might know, I am moving to Anchorage this summer and I just had a few questions...

I hear the housing market is pretty pricey. My wife and I have no clue on whether we want to rent or buy. Can I rent a nice stand-alone place for around $1400 a month? Do you recommend to live in Anchorage or outside of town? How are the areas of Eagle River, Chugiak, Peters Creek & Eklutna? How about Indian, Bird & Girdwood? I would like to be able to ride my bike to work (Elmendorf AFB) when possible and I currently commute on bike 12 miles each way which I am comfortable doing.

Is cable / DSL available in the areas outside of the city? I don't know if this is a stupid question or not, but my parents live in the boonies in PA and they can't get cable or DSL!

Anyone know of any good Anchorage related sites that don't show up on google.com? Are there any sites with places to rent? The few I've found don't have much, if any, listed for Anchorage.

Thanks for any info you can provide...

Jun 2003

I can helpsome.

Quote Originally Posted by daveIT
    Hello,

I hear the housing market is pretty pricey. My wife and I have no clue on whether we want to rent or buy. Can I rent a nice stand-alone place for around $1400 a month? Do you recommend to live in Anchorage or outside of town? How are the areas of Eagle River, Chugiak, Peters Creek & Eklutna? How about Indian, Bird & Girdwood? I would like to be able to ride my bike to work (Elmendorf AFB) when possible and I currently commute on bike 12 miles each way which I am comfortable doing.

Yes, you can rent a decent place for $1400 a month. If you are based at E. Stay in Anchorage. (Stay away from Mt. View.) Eagloe river is another possibility. It is 13 mi. north of Anchorage. Chugiak, Peters Creek, Eklutna are just north of Eagle River. (Too far, unless you do not mind a commute.

Is cable / DSL available in the areas outside of the city? I don't know if this is a stupid question or not, but my parents live in the boonies in PA and they can't get cable or DSL!

Nat a stupid question for Alaska. Yes, Cable and DSL are available in most of the areas that you mentioned.

Anyone know of any good Anchorage related sites that don't show up on google.com? Are there any sites with places to rent? The few I've found don't have much, if any, listed for Anchorage.

Thanks for any info you can provide...

The way that we found our house was based on the school district testing scores. (school ratings) That told us what parts of town were OK to look in. Not sure of the sites. I will look around.

Jan 2004
    Alaska Multiple Listing Service.
    Inventory for 250+ local realtors.

http://www.alaskarealestate.com/

Caveman

For Elmendorf

For bike commuting you can consider eagle river, but the outlaying areas on the glen get far away pretty quick. Same goes for south, Indian. I wouldent want to try commuting on the Seward highway (by any means!) .
    A few friends of mine just purchaced homes in the airports heights area. Its east of downtown only a few miles but much more affordable and on the trail systems.

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails
    Quote Originally Posted by daveIT
    Hello,
    Eagle River via the Bike Trail I think is about 12 or 13 miles I think with a big hill immediately coming out of Eagle River, downhill to Anchorage, uphill to Eagle River. Much beyond Birchwood (N. Eagle River) the bike trails gets patchy.

A lot of military people live in the Muldoon area (east side), but they are also spread out across town. But the Muldoon area, though it ain't the nicest place, it better than anything North of the Glynn Hwy. I would always recommend staying south of Debarr or Northern Lights housing wise though. Basically further south in Anchorage the better. For $1400 a month you could buy or rent, though the home purchase market is I think pretty pricey right now and I rent as I can get more space for less per month by renting. I think average rents in Anchorage are around 800 or so for a 2 bedroom apartment on up that last I looked at ads. Houses I would guess start around 1000.

As far as commuiting though I would guess you would probably want to stay north of dowling unless you found something immediately boardering Bicentenial Park that you could cut through. The other option that is a little out of the way is Jewel / Sand Lake area by the airport. Its a decent area for the most part, close to the coastal trail during the summer which goes almost right to one of the base gates (and will by this summer), and otherwise their is Minnesota which you can jump on (in a car) and get to base really quick.

Is cable / DSL available in the areas outside of the city?
    You should be able to get it anywhere in Anchorage with the exception of a few places on the hillside.

Anyone know of any good Anchorage related sites that don't show up on google.com? Are there any sites with places to rent?
    Elmendorf used to have a great site that used to list all of the property management companies in town and their website if they had one, as well as if there was a military discount. Now it just links to sites like apartmentfinder and some others..but you might want to check it out if you haven't yet..

http://www.elmendorf.af.mil/newcomer.htm

Weidner Property Management has the largest percentage of Apartments in Anchorage, I found their website once, but currently can't find it.

Other major property managers I know of are Nova, Paragon, Kirkwood, Pacific Rim

Christopher

mtbr member

Darn!

Some more info about a neighborhood you may want to consider for rent or purchase.

I have a 980 sq ft rental with a big garage and a small yard in Anchor Park - similar properties in this safe, friendly neighborhood rent from $1200.00 - $1500.00 w/o garage. This is a great location - less than a quarter mile from any house in this neigborhood to the Chester Creek trail. The Chester Creek trail feeds to the Coastal Trail.

The Coastal trail will deliver you in about 12 miles to Kincaid Park (skiing winter or riding in summer).

Going the other way on Chester Creek trail it is less than 5 miles to the Tour of Anchorage trail and eventually all the trails on hillside, and even up and over Powerline Pass to end up in a town called Indian.

All this without ever dealing with cars - bridged and tunneled all the way both directions.

From Anchor Park, a short cut through Russian Jack Park and you are at the Boniface Gate with a minimum of Road exposure. about 6 (less?) miles to the gate.

If you were in Anchorage in March I'd offer this property to you. But need a tenant before then.

Unfortunately today I am remodeling the kitchen in this rental while everybody gets to go riding with BillM, Kathi and Mark on the Knik glacier ride - looking forward to pictures from that adventure.

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Sounds like a nice area to be... With so many different areas to live, I guess we will wait to worry about it once we get there. Thanks for the neighborhood info!