OT: MatSu Roads & Bike Trails- Mtbr.com
    It's All About We!
    Dec 2005

New question here. OT: MatSu Roads & Bike Trails

Hi all,

I know this is the MTB forum, but I'm hoping that some of you living in the Valley can help me out on this one. I'm in the process of designing more brevet courses in the areas between Anchorage and Willow. Currently here in Alaska we only have one 200Km, 300Km, 400Km, and 600Km ACP-sanctioned brevet course, each. Pouring over the maps, I've identified what looks like possible good roads and loops to incorporate in the routes. I'm currently stuck in Anchorage, so I'm asking this of anyone out there w/ knowledge of MatSu roads, instead of having to spend a day in the car, burning a tank of gas to find out.

1) Where exactly does the Wasilla-to-Willow bicycle path begin and end? In the context of a 200Km to 600Km bike ride, is that path considered a decent ride?

2) Is the Willow Lakes loop paved or gravel? Specifically, are any of the following roads gravel: Wiilow Creek Pky, Crystal Lake Rd, Long Lake Rd?

3) Are Burma Rd and Point Mackenzie Rd paved? I'm envisioning a giant loop going from Knik-Goose Bay Rd to Point Mackenzie Rd to Burma Rd to Big Lake Rd (or Hollywood and Johnsons Rd. or Vine)

4) Does King Arthur Dr. connect through to the Meadow Lakes loop? And, would King Arthur make a decent ride?

I know that's a lot of specific questions. But if you are able to provide me w/ answers to any of them I would certainly appreciate it.

Thank you very much.
    Kevin Turinsky
    RUSA RBA - Alaska
    www.rusa.org
    http://alaskarandonneurs.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

3) Burma Road

Burma Road is most certainly unpaved, narrow, windy, hilly, and muddy, and gravelly. Good for mountan bikes, poor for brevet road riders. dave

It's All About We!
    Dec 2005
    Got it. Thanks Dave!

Kevin
    Kevin Turinsky
    RUSA RBA - Alaska
    www.rusa.org
    http://alaskarandonneurs.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

willow roads

willow creek prkway is paved. long lake is paved to crystal lake road and I believe crystal lake road was chip sealed last summer. you could contact willow D. O. T. at 495-6286 to find out for sure. you can also tie in willow fishhook to the old post office road over to longlake road to add 3 or 4 miles to the loop

Mar 2007

brevet routes

vine to hollywood to big lake rd to south big lake to susitna pkway makes a really nice rolling ride with light traffic but it is an out and back route
    the whole shrock-church-pittman-meadow lakes is really nice, new pavement and light traffic and doing that you can hook up to vine and then ouit to big lake and eventually hit the parks hiway and bike bath, but once past big lake the highway has a nice shoulder and the bike path tends to have lots of gravel on it cause of 4 wheelers
    seldon has been pushed thru to church so that makes a nice access loop also
    and can also take shrock to end and over the little su to sunrise which is beautiful but out and back also

Members who have read this thread: 0