OT: Cell phones (Verizon)- Mtbr.com
    HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

OT: Cell phones (Verizon)

Does anyone use a Verizon Wireless phone from the L48 up here permanently? I looked through the contract and it doesn't say anything about "permanent roaming" like most other
    services do (...at least 50% calls made in "local" area.) I hear that ACS covers their roaming. I've had good service from ACS, but I was thinking I might be able to get a decent deal in the L48 (family plan with free nights/weekends). Anyone have any info?

Thanks - Dave

We want... a shrubbery!
    I've got a Verizon phone -- At least here in Anchorage I haven't had a problem at all, we're in the Extended Network. Also, when I'm on the North Slope, it actually got better service than the company ACS phone that they gave me... ???

Only thing that may suck (haven't had any problems with this yet) is the lack of local support... i.e. to fix a broken phone. You'll have to wait for them to ship one up here, etc. etc.
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

Silver bullet
    I live in the lower 48 and visit my sister in Fairbanks fairly often and travel with my Verizon service and never had problem. I didn't realize there was something considered "permanent roaming".

My sister (that lives in Fairbanks) uses ATT service based in the lower 48 (WA area code)on a permanent basis and hasen't encountered any extra charges.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I don't think you'll have any issues using the phone but you may not be able to start a new contract up here if they dont have a local service center. I kepy my ATT/Cingular service when I moved up here but when I wanted to change my service and the only way (WHY?!?)this could be done was by going to my local Cingular service office, well, that was a bit of a problem. So if you want something like verizon or cingular, you may need to start your account outside and I'm not sure if you could get an AK number that way.

Aug 2007
    A family friend moved from Florida with an out of state phone from Florida, i don't know what company he used. The phone worked great. After being in AK for 6 months, the company called him and asked him if he was planning on moving back to Florida. Since he wasn't they offered to buy out the rest of his contract because the 'free roaming' he was promised was too expensive for the company and they wanted out of the contract. So check with verizon about the fine print if you are planning in being in AK for a long time.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    I know AT&T has some clause about if Roaming outside your home network more then not roaming they will cancel, etc but friends have not had any problems yet. And AT&T will be up here in January. They bought Dobson/CellOne.

We want... a shrubbery!
    Haven't had any calls from Verizon about permanent roaming etc. etc. And I've been up here for just a hair over 6 months. Hmm... we'll see. And as far as updating contracts, Verizon lets you do it over the phone... way too easily IMO, but that's another story for another day...
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    I've read other companies contracts and it says that 50% of calls must be made from the area where the contract was signed, but from reviewing Verizon's stuff on their website I couldn't find that. I'm headed to the L48 for the holidays, so that's why I was wondering.

A couple guys in class today said they got called by Cingular and subsequently dropped for making all calls from AK. I was just looking to see if Verizon had done that to anyone.

I'll just ask to see a contract when I get down there.

Thanks for the info!

Members who have read this thread: 0