One More Shop - Speedway Cycles- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

One More Shop - Speedway Cycles

Just stopped into Anchorage's newest bike shop at lunch today - a good place. Greg (?), the owner, is still getting the place in shape, but has a nice selection of quality bikes (kids & adults), parts, clothes etc., at good prices, all nicely displayed. It is located on Spenard Road across the street from AMH and a bit north. It is worth checking out.

i drink shower water
    what kind of bikes?? AM DH XC?

do you know what he is carrying? my buddy is looking for an XL Endruo Expert and cant find one anywhere.
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

bikes

He has a smorgasbord - road, xc and perhaps some FR/DH - didn't notice the latter and didn't ask. He seems willing to get anything though . . . but he is not a Specialized dealer. Fuji, Chumba, BMC, Carver . . .

mtbr member
    He is even considering becoming a Yeti dealer.. Stopped in there for a quick look today.. Interesting place, looks promising for Anchorage. Wonder who he has working the wrenches.....

FatBike Fiend
    i heard he was offering a free six pack of Burn Barrel Ale to the first 50 customers.
    Owner, Trailwerx Trails Contracting
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

mtbr member
    May 2006
    He is also carrying the enduro line if clothing.I already own a set of rain gear I use for commuting,very well made stuff.I picked up a real nice pair of enduro shorts for $85 when I stopped in for my first visit, demoed them on power line pass the same day and was very pleased.

Diaskeuast
    For those who may not remember, Greg is the guy who kept slaughtering everyone in last winter's Frigid Bits races while riding his orange Pugsley. So if you want to check out a shop run by a guy who can kick your butt on the bike and then hand you a beer and be fun to hang around with by the burn barrel, you should stop in and look the place over.

It's also the only shop in town that has a flat-panel TV on the wall for watching the Tour de France and classic footage of guys like Merckx and LeMond in their glory days. That's a very nice touch.
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

mtbr member
    What's the story on Fuiji bikes? Not much out there on the web about them... Is thier 5" FS bike a decent bike?

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    I stopped in last night to check out the new digs. Those Chumba XCLs look pretty impressive. The Willits safety bike sitting up front was awesome. I loved the stem and bar on that puppy.

I wish all the best to Greg and his crew! Let us all know when the grand opening is!

mtbr member
    Greg is awesome. He's one of only 3 Willits dealers. We think his shop sounds cool and wish him the best.

-steven

Quote Originally Posted by daveIT
    I stopped in last night to check out the new digs. Those Chumba XCLs look pretty impressive. The Willits safety bike sitting up front was awesome. I loved the stem and bar on that puppy.

I wish all the best to Greg and his crew! Let us all know when the grand opening is!
    Retired Willits Brand Bicycles Webmaster::
    http://www.willitsbikes.com
    South Austin, Texas ::

Wood chips are stupid

went for a spin

I took the Willits for a quicky. There is something about a fine hand built steel frame I find very enjoyable.

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

s62
    mtbr member
    Would this be a decent place to take my new Jamis Dakar? I'm not to fond of the other shops I've visited in the greater Anchorage area, and I'd love to find a shop that is all about the customer, and is familiar and comfortable with FS all mountain rigs....

mtbr member
    I am with you most of the shops in town are to busy to listen to you when you are trying to describe what is wrong with the bike.... Might as well try Speedway out and see what happens.. Let us know...

s62
    mtbr member
    Will do...
    By the way, I have found that the Ski/Bike shop in Girdwood is different than all the others (owner is still main employee, does all the work, talks customers through his process, stops and answers lots of questions, etc.), BUT, he doesn't have very much experience with FS rigs. If I had a hardtail or something older I'd take it to him, but not with a new 5" AM rig, I don't think. He was very honest and upfront about it. For that, he gets an A+ and a recommendation.

mtbr member
    Agreed!

Thanks,
    steven

Quote Originally Posted by akdeluxe
    There is something about a fine hand built steel frame I find very enjoyable.
    Retired Willits Brand Bicycles Webmaster::
    http://www.willitsbikes.com
    South Austin, Texas ::

Wood chips are stupid

helping myself

The shops in Anch are very busy during the summer. Thats a fact. Being short on time myself, I learned to work on my own bikes. It saves time,money and keeps me riding...once you get by the learning phase! You make most mistakes just once. Like crushing a $150 carbon road bar. Will never buy one again. Buy some tools,a stand and lots and lots of rags.

akdeluxe
    Last edited by akdeluxe; 07-05-2007 at 07:55 PM.

JT

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Work on your own bike

What akdeluxe said. I find that working on my bikes is rewarding. I love my bicycles. Don't you? I feel better now. Thank you.

s62
    mtbr member
    I'm all about learning more about how my bike works, about fixing it, etc., but I also want to option of taking it to a caring, involved mechanic who will teach me and will be involved with my bike. It's nice to have a pro backing me up.
    I am, like I said though, very interested in becoming self-sufficient. Just not when I'm putting together a new 2300$ bike that I ordered. On that account, I'd rather not f things up.

Jul 2007

Small bike shop flavor

Speedway is a refreshing addition to the bike shops in town. I don't know how many of you were here in the late 70's. Fairweather Sports back then was small with 2 brother owners and a couple of employees. Speedway brings that atmosphere back for sure.
    Last edited by Shadowed Man; 07-06-2007 at 11:58 AM.

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by akdeluxe
    The shops in Anch are very busy during the summer. Thats a fact. Being short on time myself, I learned to work on my own bikes. It saves time,money and keeps me riding...once you get by the learning phase! You make most mistakes just once. Like crushing a $150 carbon road bar. Will never buy one again. Buy some tools,a stand and lots and lots of rags.

akdeluxe
    WWW.TORQUEWRENCH.COM

(Damn that sucks dude!)

i drink shower water
    anything is better than the AK Bike Shop... that place is going to turn everyone to mail order.

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    If you mean the Bicycle Shop on NL, I disagree. I've had nothing but great service from those guys. The only shop I received less than stellar service from was Alaska Mountain Bike Source and (surprise!) they are closed now.

s62
    mtbr member
    I've had bad experiences with The Becycle Shop on NL. I chose to mailorder a bike because of them, and will have it worked on elsewhere. They can be nice and informative, but the opposite is true as well.

mtbr member
    I had a mixed experience with them as well. Glad to hear competition is around for all the shops. Hopefully it will make them all stronger and not shut anyone down.

Ologist
    I have had mixed experiences with all shops in town. Good mechanics, bad mechanics - good service, bad service. Nothing consistent and with that in mind I only purchase offline when I am in a bind. For what it is worth, I have been pretty satisfied with Chain Reaction's mechanics so far.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have always had great service at Paramount cycles, John and the crew have never failed to treat me right.They do however get pretty slammed in the summer,so I always try to get anything major done in the winter if possible.But even in the summer they usually get things to me a few days sooner than the originally say,for example if they tell me a week it usually only 3 days.

i drink shower water
    yea i meant the shop on NL. I am form colorado so maybe i am use to the style of bike shop down there. All i know is my LBS in Colorado would not charge 41$ for shock bushings and spacers then destroy them when pressing them in. Ridiculous... I have not been to paramount and have only stopped in chain reaction to pick up a stem and i was pleased with their service. they were friendly. However i live in Eagle River and Huffman is far away. ill just tough it out until i get back to Colorado.

Dec 2006
    I disagree to a certain extent when I was there a few weeks ago looking for me disc brake touring bike. The employee said it can't be done because it's against cycling rules... When I went out to Speedway, Greg looked at the fuji touring for me said he would put disc forks on and everything with no shop charge, plus he's looking into getting a Devinci touring which has front and back discs and it takes all panniers regardless of compatibility. Touring bike with discs yeeehaw can't go wrong with that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Ak. Mtn. Bike Source Contact?

Quote Originally Posted by daveIT
    If you mean the Bicycle Shop on NL, I disagree. I've had nothing but great service from those guys. The only shop I received less than stellar service from was Alaska Mountain Bike Source and (surprise!) they are closed now.
    Does anyone know how to get in contact with someone from Ak. Mtn. Bike Source? Is there an individual that we could contact since the store is no longer open?

Thanks.

Aug 2004
    Hey all, I *just* came from Speedway. My front brake (Hayes HFX-9) puked and two other shops, which I won't name, were unable to fix it. So I dropped into Speedway and gave 'em a try. They listened carefully to what was wrong with it, and how I wanted it to work in the end. Well, I just went to pick up my baby and they got it NAILED. Wow is it nice. PROPS TO SPEEDWAY!

Lots of good stuff in there, good people, great service. Throw some beans their way and keep these boys in business!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    My experience with The Bicycle shop is good mechanics, bad sales staff. Of course, my experience is limited and I'm sure it's possible to have the opposite. I did decide to buy my bike somewhere else though.

Back to the main subject: I test drove a Fuji over at Speedway a few weeks ago. Nice owner, nice operation. The Fuji didn't sing to me though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by anchskier
    Does anyone know how to get in contact with someone from Ak. Mtn. Bike Source? Is there an individual that we could contact since the store is no longer open?

Thanks.
    Ditto.

I won't set foot into Paramount, 'cept maybe in January. Most bike stores are too busy in summer.
    I've been learning a little maintenance/repair the past few summers, it's fun and keeps more hair on my head. The Zen book for mtbs has been pretty useful.
    I'll check out the new store, sounds like they are doing good work.

Aug 2004
    Yeah, it's all good but now they have one of the owner's Pugs leaning against the front glass, painted all orange and gorgeous with humongous fat rims... and I have to somehow make myself stop drooling. Thanks guys. (sarcastic)

They got some nice new boingbikes in there to complement the hardtails. Nice!

s62
    mtbr member
    I'm taking in my ride to get the Juicy 7's checked out and resetup... may upgrade to 8" rotors too I'll let you guys know how I like it.
    09 Specialized Enduro SL Expert
    w/ E150 and Command Post

Aug 2004
    Hey you'll love it. My Hayes Nines were messed up, and Speedway set me up *perfect* again. No worries, speedy service... great all around.

I still want that orange Pugs.

Feb 2006

busy shops

it's true that shops in Anchorage are pretty swamped during the best weather. That's why they'll tell people the time for a tune is in the fall - before putting the bike away for the winter... or during the winter, usually before the Tour of Anchorage ski race. After that, everyone and their cousin wants their bike tuned right now... because they have a Very Important Ride tomorrow.

Don't get me started, but you'd be surprised at how many bikes could get built & tuned if everyone in Anchorage who owned a bike would learn the simple tasks of fixing their own flats & dropping a little lube on their chain once in a while. But, I digress.

(I guess it's the same in ski shops... people whine about no snow then show up skis in hand at AMH wanting them waxed ASAP. Must be the culture.)

I'm sure people have negative and positive things to say about all the current shops in town. They're all different & each one has some fine folks doing their best for you. Sure, sometimes they're a bit surley. Just don't be one of those people who walks into the shop and says: "boy, is it nice out there - what're you all doing in here!?" and expects a happy chuckle.
    Next time you're in a shop, thank them for noticing your chain is due to be replaced or your headset is loose. Then pick up the Zinn book and ask 'em if someone can teach you how to work on your bike... in January!

s62
    mtbr member

Good job!

Ok, so Speedway Cycles is amazing. I just went in yesterday with some problems w/ my Juicy 7's. Evidently, the problem is manufacturer based, and is not fixable. So, I talk awhile with the shop mechanic (I didn't catch his name), and this guy is KNOWLEDGABLE. Honestly, much more so than the other shops/mechanics I've been to in Alaska. He's up-to-date, has a great eye for problems, and knows his stuff. He knew about the Juicy problem so I didn't have to explain it.
    I also asked him to give the bike a look over, and also about upgrading to 8" rotors. I then left.
    When I came back, he had contacted Avid and gotten me a free set of 8" rotors to fix the problem I had with the brakes. I get an upgrade for free! He also took the time to ride the bike around (which I requested) and check stuff out. He spotted a bent rear-dérailleur hanger, a mis-setup front derailleur, and a few other problems. This was after I had taken the bike to shops in various other places.
    And to top it all of, it was cheap. VERY cheap. The cheapest yet.
    This guy is knowledgable, up-to-date (which I feel like is a problem in some of the shops around here... seems like 'old timers' who don't know current hardware/problems), extremely friendly and easy to talk to, is definitely on the side of the customer, is thorough (catching all sorts of problems other mechanics had over looked), and is very cheap.

I have to say, I've FINALLY found "my" LBS in Alaska. It's too bad I'm leaving in September!!! I really recommend this place to everyone. They've got a good setup, some nice bikes, really good prices, and the mechanic is one hell of a guy. I walked in with a brake problem, and walked out with a bike that's in great shape, and that's getting a FREE upgrade to new rotors (saves me a cool 100$ ).
    Check them out.
    09 Specialized Enduro SL Expert
    w/ E150 and Command Post

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by s62
    Ok, so Speedway Cycles is amazing. .
    I'll second the opinion on Speedway's tech. A great guy and very knowledgeable.

Will

Wood chips are stupid

Funny hair

He's ok...I guess.

akdeluxe

JT

Members who have read this thread: 0