not fair.- Mtbr.com

Thread: not fair.

is buachail foighneach me

not fair.

here i am, dutifully riding all winter to train for susitna, and because i like riding in the winter. then, the week before i go to alaska for a 100 mile mtn bike race, the weather all of a sudden decides it's sick of winter and jumps up to 60!?! damnit.

which city/zip code would be the best for checking weather in the general area of the course? i've been using wasilla. i know it will vary greatly across the course, especially on the river, but just to get an idea. looks like a slight warming trend and fresh snow leading up to the race if wasilla counts for anything with regards to the course.

I'm from Utah
    I always used to check the weather in Big Lake, AK on www.weather.com. Since the race start moved I'm not sure if Big Lake weather is still relevant, but you'd be shocked how much the weather in Big Lake can vary from the weather in Wasilla, only about 10 or 15 miles away.

Expect at least 10 degrees colder on the river. Probably more.

It's tough training for these things from a distance, isn't it? I'm always a little jealous of all the trip reports I see on this forum from people who are training right on the course.

Of course, I'm also a little jealous of 60 degrees.

Good luck.

No, that's not phonetic
    Hey Jill, super blog. Someone on the Turner forum linked to it a while back and a bunch of us thoroughly enjoyed it. Keep at it.

Greetings from Kodiak.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

weather locations

Wasilla and Big Lake should be representative of the start/finish. Skwentna will be representative of the Yentna River and Willow might be best for the Susitna River.

This will certainly get you close and describe possible variations...

thanks folks. definitely would be nice to be training on the course right now.

woohoo! it's cold again. hit a low of 2 degrees with -10 standing windchill on this mornings commute. got my first ever eyelash ice and some rare for me snotcicles. i usually breathe through my mouth while riding in colder temps.

Members who have read this thread: 0