Nokian failure- Mtbr.com

Thread: Nokian failure

Diaskeuast

Nokian failure

Because the weather killed today's ride plans, I went out to the garage this afternoon to overhaul the rear hub on my winter commuter. As I was finishing the job, I noticed these sidewall failures in a Nokian Extreme. Now I know why I felt a little lateral wiggle in the rear wheel during my last couple of rides to work.

Has anyone else seen Nokians fail like this? I've never heard complaints. These tires are two or three seasons old, but they haven't been ridden all that hard. Seems a little unacceptable that the sidewalls would fail before the studs show much wear.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

Mr.Secret
    You could just say that you just barely escaped the enraged bear as it was emerging from his den ?.......I'd probably check to see if you couldn't possibly take it back to get a replacement.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ...think we'll ever get outta' this world alive ?...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Mine did that. The rear tire starting feeling squishy. When I checked it out, it looked just like your photo. The front tire wasn't as bad, but it was gonna go soon also. Those tires lasted 7 winters mounted on Sno-Cats, so I figure I got my moneys' worth. I put an average of 40 miles a week (mostly commuting) on them in winter. Usually ride my Wildfire in the winter these days- it's a lot more fun!

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    That sucks. Do you run them real low pressure?

mtbr member
    Happened to the rear of a set of my 296's too - but with similar use as Redcoat - using them with snow-cats at some pretty low pressures on snow days while winter commuting.

I know that I ran them at "wrinkle-wall" pressures many times..and as someone who sells automotive tires, feel that the failure on my Scandi-skids was pretty reasonable.
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers

Diaskeuast
    Quote Originally Posted by daveIT
    That sucks. Do you run them real low pressure?
    No, I don't think I've ever run them at an unreasonably low psi. Maybe a time or two that I can't remember.

Grillin' & Chillin'

296 Failure

I used my 296's for seven seasons. That was nearly every working day x 12 miles = 1 schnike load of riding before they started to fail in the same manner. Both front and rear went within a week after riding home on them after flating rather than trying to fix the flat in the cold and wind.

So, my theory is that riding on them flat brought on their "death by Wall Wrinkle" sooner. I always ran them at the high end of the pressure rating. I've always believed and feel that I've proved, to myself anyway, that riding on the hard packed trails and icy roads is best with hard tires. That way they bite in better and don't have much lateral roll.
    Grill Meister
    "There were never any good old days
    They are today, they are tomorrow
    "
    - Gogol Bordello

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    That sucks. A big guy like you should probably be riding adult sized wheels anyway...

Ak29
    Singletrack Advocates Anchorage, Alaska
    Susitna 100 "Race Across Frozen Alaska"

Diaskeuast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ak29
    That sucks. A big guy like you should probably be riding adult sized wheels anyway...

Ak29
    Real men know that size doesn't matter!

Grillin' & Chillin'

Big Guys

Quote Originally Posted by Ak29

Ak29
    I can still remember the first time someone said to me something like, "Geez, why don't you grow up!" My reply was, "Why, so I can be like my Dad. I don't think so." If I could I'd probably be still riding around on my first bike - a 20-inch Schwinn Stingray.

Believe me, if there was some way in this world I could convince my wife that I needed a 29er, I'd ask her. But after buying 2 bikes (Fatback and a Fuji Team Issue road bike with Durace) in the last 8 months I gave up my left testicle and can't afford to lose the other.
    Grill Meister
    "There were never any good old days
    They are today, they are tomorrow
    "
    - Gogol Bordello

is buachail foighneach me
    if you have a fatback, you have a 29er. just need another wheelset for it....

Dec 2006
    my rear nokian failed one side. I believe it was the right side, I to felt this was odd as they are only in their second season, my front wheel is fine no sidewall cracking but the rear wheel began rusting around Feb, my sidewall doesn't look quite like that though its only in one spot which leads me to believe theres either a weak spot in the tire... or I was riding too low psi I usually ran about 45 psi in both tires but sometimes would run different pressures on both tires depending on trail road conditions etc.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    i just noticed similar cracks on my nokian's this morning. They are in the prelim stages at this point, but i was surprised given that they are only 2 seasons old with relatively few miles on them. As you said, studs are in great shape, the rubber, is not.

Has anybody noticed this at an early stage and done any type of repair to maintain the tires before the cracks go full blown?

Diaskeuast
    Good news from the folks at Nokian. I e-mailed them the digital photos of my tire with an explanation of what happened. Their tires are under warranty against defects for five years from the date of manufacture, so they're putting a new one in the mail.

If only Innova could provide that kind of support for their self-destructing Endomorphs!

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    As Borat would say, "Veery Niice!"

Dec 2006
    Nokian asked for photos of mine but also mentioned the model I mentioned went out of production around 3 years ago... I mentioned that this seemed odd as Nokian has a reputation for long lasting tyres...

on a different note I could barely stand to watch Borat cultural learnings... that was an edgy movie I mean bagging Pam Anderson and then he wanted people at a dinner party to clean his arse... funny movie all around though.

Members who have read this thread: 0