Nokian Extreme 29er tire- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Nokian Extreme 29er tire

Are these available yet? Nokian said September, but has anyone actually obtained a set? Hopefully they are not $150 a piece.

It's All About We!
    Dec 2005
    Peter White's website says that Nokian is now telling him that the delay is until at least the end of October.

I have a set of the W240, w/ steel base studes. Gosh, they're heavy. These new 294s will be nicer w/ the aluminum base.

BTW, Peter's site says $120 each.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Well I probably won't need them out here until November or so. That's a lot of dough for tires, but at least they last a few seasons.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Nokian 29-er studs on the way...

Yup, it's true. They should be leaving the Nokian factory next week. I've been told ocean freight takes three to four weeks. Once they arrive state-side, we'll be shipping them via Carlile Transportation to Alaska. Best bet: Mid November.

We have a ton of these tires on order, and we already have 12 customers on a waiting list. If you'd like to reserve some tires, call us at Chain Reaction at 336-0383 - they're going fast...

It's All About We!
    Dec 2005

New question here. Extremes vs. W240s?

So...what IS the difference betwixt the Extremes and the W240s, other than they're... 'extreme'?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Real good. I'll give a call and get on the list. The farthest west 29er in US needs to be properly equipped for winter!

No, that's not phonetic
    Nokian wasn't at Interbike. I looked for them.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I love my nokian 294 freddies revenge tires, 2.35 fit on the epic with room to spare. Tried them out up powerline, and they are superb!

130 a piece, abotu 30 more than my last pair of nokians, but the were 2.0's, these are much better in the snow.

Why R+
    Why S7
    Why Big Iron
    Cervelo R2
    Scott Foil
    Epic HT SS
    Santa Cruz Chameleon SS
    YETI SB100
    Orbea Rallon M10

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarnac
    Peter White's website says that Nokian is now telling him that the delay is until at least the end of October.

I have a set of the W240, w/ steel base studes. Gosh, they're heavy. These new 294s will be nicer w/ the aluminum base.

BTW, Peter's site says $120 each.
    They are in stock locally as of this week.
    Why R+
    Why S7
    Why Big Iron
    Cervelo R2
    Scott Foil
    Epic HT SS
    Santa Cruz Chameleon SS
    YETI SB100
    Orbea Rallon M10

No, that's not phonetic
    Who is the distributor? QBP? BTI?

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by numbnuts
    Where at?

mtbr member
    I could have used a pair of those this morning instead of eating sh!t in the middle of Lake Ottis on black ice, right in front of a crowd of people at the bus stop too.

The Peter White guy has a direct conection with Nokian, so he may have them sooner than most retailers.

Dec 2006
    What time was this?? Black Ice I havn't had any encounters yet and hopefully keep it that way until it's safe for the sno bike

Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger
    I could have used a pair of those this morning instead of eating sh!t in the middle of Lake Ottis on black ice, right in front of a crowd of people at the bus stop too.

The Peter White guy has a direct conection with Nokian, so he may have them sooner than most retailers.
    why does it always seem like ice is "more slippery" early in the season? Jill and I did the same thing on some black ice last year right around this time and my damn hip was sore until january... and of course our neighbor was in her van right behind us watching it all happen.

mtbr member
    What time was this?? Black Ice I havn't had any encounters yet and hopefully keep it that way until it's safe for the sno bike

Been pretty icy in the morning and in the evening the last few days. about 9:30 this morning everything was still pretty slick by my house

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by numbnuts
    So, I am assuming this was a joke?

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Yeah..I think Peter White will be the first to get um.

No, that's not phonetic
    Bikeman seems to have them as does AEBike. Just a heads-up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Bikeman seems to have them as does AEBike. Just a heads-up.
    Or you can support your friendly local shop. Or your favorite snooty, high end, elitist shop. Just joking Jamey.
    Sounds like about everyone will have them by the end of the week.

Grillin' & Chillin'

Everyone on Nokians

Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger
    Or you can support your friendly local shop. Or your favorite snooty, high end, elitist shop. Just joking Jamey.
    Sounds like about everyone will have them by the end of the week.
    Everyone will havie Nokians by next week. Great! Alaska will be flooded with winter time bikers. Awesome!!
    Grill Meister
    "There were never any good old days
    They are today, they are tomorrow
    "
    - Gogol Bordello

No, that's not phonetic
    I wasn't implying that you should go online to buy them, but rather to indicate that there was actual, physical, tangible stock of the mythical things and not just wild rumors and conjecture that had been posted previously.

Moral of the story: never listen to a guy called numbnuts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Nokian

I ordered one 29er 294 from Bikeman today - according to their website they have them in stock. we shall see

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Have a set inbound from Paramount. Hope to have them mounted up later this week. Using 26" Extremes right now. 29" should be a big help in the snow.

No, that's not phonetic
    Got mine today. Pretty narrow and heavy. The casing is right at 1.8" and the outer knob to outer knob width is exactly 2.0". They weigh 1,070g each. The effects of the 29er platform rears its ugly head. My Freddies are much bigger *looking* (they measure just barely over 2" for the knobs, but the casing is a lot bigger than the 29er extreme).

Rode them for the first time tonight. We had a little bit of snow recently. It got rained on today and the road up the local mountain was a huge sheet of rubbery ice with a bit of slush forming in spots from melt. Perfect.

Traction was not quite what I had hoped for. Barny was along on her Pack shod with Hakka 300s, and while I felt a slight slip with each pedal stroke on the steeper portions of the climb, Barny's bike hardly ever let loose at all. The ride up the glacier covering the whole road the whole way up is a perfect test section for studded tires. I won't know for sure how they stack up against my Extreme 296, Freddies Revenz, or Hakka 300s on my 26ers, but right now I am a little puzzled that they didn't wow me more. I dropped the pressure from 30psi in back to about 25 and that helped a tiny bit. The tires are narrow enough that I would prefer not to run them that soft as there are sharp rocks to deal with on some sections of trail.

More updates as I get time on them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Well, that's not the best news in the world Philip. I imagine the slippage issue will only be magnified on a single speed which is where mine will be used this season. I always have to run higher pressure here due to the constant presence of sharp rocks.

Members who have read this thread: 0