0.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

11.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 10.jpg (135.9 KB, 467 views)

Bikes are good

Is that the new trail?

Cool if it is. Where is that if it isn't?

No, that's not phonetic
    So it's wheelchair accessible? That's mighty inclusive.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    WTF?!? Is that the "trail" or just something to get the equipment in and out without damaging the terrain? Bizarre

How wide is that really? Looks like 2 to 2 feet in the pics but maybe that's just the extreme closeup.

Aug 2004
    That's part of the trail, it ranges from 3' wide to18" in places. The boardwalks lead to nice packed gravel stretches with stone retainers in the corners and some good dirt and rooty sections. The elevations span some pretty rough terrain on the bottom end. The NGSB (non gender-specific bikers) I talked to were happy with their work so far but said they have lots more in mind.

Fatback
    Got to be someplace with alot more rain than here to grow that much moss on the trees. Southeast?
    Speedway Cycles owner http://fatbackbikes.com

Diaskeuast
    Is that a trail, or a lumberyard? I can't wait to ride this one:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

Aug 2004
    That rascal's down in Girdwood. Walk chair 7 up and over from the daylodge to Winner creek and you'll see the start of the trail on the north side of the clearing. It comes out again down low near the bottom of the tram, there's a ditch witch in the woods and a LOT of mud.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Oh man, I thought that was part of the new Hillside singletrack project. No wonder I was so freakin' confused. I didn't recall any discussions of boardwalks with that one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Please don't tell me some of you are completely unaware of what could be classified as "North Shore" style riding. It is a trail building technique that developed in Vancouver and surrounding area approximately ten years ago. It started as a technique to get around forest floor obstacles (such as large fallen trees, boulders, or ravines) but quickly developed into a whole new realm of riding. Varying from tame wood slated trails ( as seen above) to incredible stunts built high amongst the trees and rocks, this style of riding brings a whole new perspective to the forests we ride in. Conventional trails are a blast, and are awesome for the very fundamentals we all need to build and I enjoy them immensely. However, until you have ridden something like this (and it seems obvious that some of you haven’t) please do not criticize it so lightly. All though this trail seems to be in the beginner/intermediate range, I anticipate that once people realize it is out there and take it for a spin, it will be amongst people’s favorites. I for one grew up on “North Shore” style riding and I enjoy it a great deal. I also know how much effort goes into the building of a trail like this, which is why I would encourage you to look at it as an opportunity to expand your skills and try something out of the ordinary rather then make fun of and heckle that which you do not know. I applaud the builders for the time and effort put in, and I am stoked to go ride this new trail. My 2 cents….
    Last edited by DucRR; 08-06-2008 at 06:41 PM.

Jul 2008
    Well said DucRR.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hey man, I wasn't knocking that kind of riding at all. I had a blast at the Dome downhill race and I'm looking forward to checking out the Girdwood scene. I just thought it was pics of the new Hillside trails and remembered hearing descriptions of "flowing singletrack" for that project. That ain't it.

Besides, I'm sure it'll look and ride different in person but you gotta admit, those pics make it look like a long, non-technical boardwalk. I too look forward to future developments.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    No, if you can understand what pictures do to the look of trails then I would say it's right on. I rode in g-wood sunday and the new trails are pretty fun, and I also took the advice of some riders here on the forum and checked out Upper WInner creek...what a blast.

I snuck up on to the blueberry pancake and it's going to be one hell of a fun ride. The banked turns and steep sideslope underneath parts of the trail add a very cool touch.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    BikesRGood,

Is this the new trail Blueberry Pancake? If so, is it planned to open on the 23rd? Or is this something else entirely?

Jul 2008
    These are indeed pics of the Blueberry Pancake. I didnt want to make too much comotion about it, due to the fact that the trail is currently closed and under construction. Just like a new movie, or song, a creator tries to keep things under wrap until the actual release date, but this cat is out of the bag fo-sho.

To answer your question; yes, there will be a guided tour (and inagural run) at noon on Sat. Aug 23rd as part of the Blueberry Festival. After the guided run, the trail will be open for the remainder of the day for people to ride.

Jun 2008
    Yeah whats up with all the hatred on North shore!?!?!?!?
    Bleuberry Pancake is a pretty nice trail!!
    Its gotten really eaten out though with all the rain we had its a shame.
    ANYBODY know about any of the other project for 2009 at Alyeska, really looking forward to some nice freeride/downhill stuff, keep up the work ALY

Jul 2008
    We have plans to expand for the 2009 season. We will be adding new trails of varying difficulty/fun levels. At this time, I am not authorized to share too much more. Trust that the expansion is coming.

Members who have read this thread: 0