New trail- Mtbr.com

Thread: New trail

FatBike Fiend

New trail

Another new trail at an undisclosed location. Short but sweet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Owner, Trailwerx Trails Contracting
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

Ologist
    looks like the Talkeetnas again....

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    wow! Not to sound like i'm from Florida but that looks sick!

FatBike Fiend

Ok. I'll give it up

Quote Originally Posted by eze8513
    wow! Not to sound like i'm from Florida but that looks sick!
    It's the new Gold Cord Lake Trail at Hatcher Pass near Independance Mine built by AK State Parks to replace an eroding and braided fall line trail. It's (for now) open to bikes to the old cabin on the hilltop 6/10's of a mile in though that could change. I saw a biker on it the other day and he was lovin' it. Grades are less then 10% the whole way up and it gains 350 vertical feet. It's still got a little work left to do on it but it's open for business. The plan is to extend it up the next hill to a nice little lake but that part's gonna be a lot steeper and rockier.
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

ahaa

Yeah it definitely looked like somewhere in or around Hatcher. I was planning on trying that trail out today anyways. I'm pretty new to the area and I'm still getting the jist of things.

Anyone down for a ride on the...shhhh "secret" trail later?

Thanks for the heads up Wildfire.

Ologist
    yeah thanks for the pic!

Aug 2007

Hatcher Trails

Anyone know of any other good trails up in Hatcher that are maybe longer than this Gold Cord? (aside from jeep roads, I know about all those)

FatBike Fiend

Other trails

Quote Originally Posted by turbobean
    Anyone know of any other good trails up in Hatcher that are maybe longer than this Gold Cord? (aside from jeep roads, I know about all those)
    Have you tried the Gold Mint Trail across from the Mother Lode Lodge? It's mostly ridable to the third set of beaver ponds about five miles in and you can hike from there another three miles to the Mint Glacier area. The first two miles are easy and from there the trail is pretty overgrown and rocky in a lot of places. We rode to the third beaver pond on Saturday and the vegetation is starting to die back a bit. It's a fun trail coming back down.

Other then that, there's not a lot of singletrack trails. There's some really steep ones in upper Willow Creek at the end of the first road on the right going over the pass. Sidney Creek off the Archangel Road is an old jeep road but steep and pretty technical. Grubstake Gulch and Craigie Creek on the Willow side are old jeep roads but good rides.
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

Aug 2007
    hey wildfire, you must be Mark...? it's Logan! thanks for the tips. I'm trying to find manuals for the shocks on that KHS you hooked me up with like 3 years ago, any advice on that?

FatBike Fiend
    Hey Logan,

You got time to get away from the vegetable patch and ride this time of year? The manuals should be available on line at the manufacturers sites. If that doesn't work, p mail me and I'll find them for you.
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Gold chord's a no no

Hey Mark,

Went to check out the trail and was informed by a state park ranger that gold chord is currently off limits to bikes. She said the trail won't be ready for about another year for mountain bikes. Oh well, whether it is or not, I didn't want to get involved with the politics of conservation vs. recreation with the ranger. She was nice enough. They're afraid that bikes on trail will heavily disrupt the vegetation of the tundra.

Anywho, I ended up riding the gold mint trail for about 3.5 + miles and you guys are right, it gets a little hectic towards the top but what a great ride on the way down. The rocks are pretty technical, but coming from Florida, with 3 foot cypress knees, huge roots and low ceiling oak hammocks...I loved it. Still not used to 3 miles of descent, I smiled all the way down.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Mark, did you put that in? (as crew leader? so didya get the job?) kk

FatBike Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrack99501
    Mark, did you put that in? (as crew leader? so didya get the job?) kk
    Kevin,

Yes, I've been working up at the pass all summer doing trail work at the Gold Mint and now the Gold Cord so I might have had a little something to do with that trail. Thanks for the recomendo, love the job, it's right up my alley. Had a little help with construction from two Student Conservation Association Crews and Mike Shields, who did a lot of the layout. Headin' up to Denali on the 27th? I see your name on the roster.

EZ,

Hmmm, I know the the Trail Management Objective specs don't prohibit MTB's on the Gold Cord and I think the trail will hold up well to bikes plus there's great sight distance on all the corners. But then again, she is the ranger. I'll see what I can do, but I'm just the guy swingin' the pulaski. Glad you liked the Mint Trail and sorry about the bum steer.
    Last edited by Wildfire; 08-13-2007 at 09:17 PM.
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

Dec 2006
    haven't seen any bikes affect vegitation to bad not worser than any motorized atv feel bad gota mtb but ever since I got hit last winter on Tudor I kept the studs on and named it my official winter commuter since everythings bent to some degree It rides slower and therefore a somewhat safe choice for stopping with your feet. BTW the trail looks sweet will it be open during winter months?

FatBike Fiend
    Good news, the trail is "officially" open to mountain bikes as far up as the hermit's cabin on the hilltop. The last section up the steep hill to the lake will remain closed, but you can stash your bikes at the cabin and hike up if you want to. Just remember, it's a new trail shared with hikers, little ol' ladies, families with kids, etc so be nice, ya'all, if you want it to remain open.
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

FatBike Fiend

Couple more pictures

The upper section still needs to be graveled but it's packed down great, just a bit slippery when wet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Gonna have to find an excuse to get out there w/ wife and daughter. Looks like a great ride for family.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    rode the trail yesterday. Very fast on the way down, keep an inside line or else the gravel will cause your rear tire to slip. I especially like the rock garden, very technical stuff. Great job to the team who built it. Can't wait for the rest open up.

Oh yeah, bring eye protection for the way down, the rocks will get ya!

Members who have read this thread: 0