New Here, thought I'd say hi and ask a question- Mtbr.com

May 2009

New Here, thought I'd say hi and ask a question

Hey all,

New to the forum, thought I'd introduce myself. I'm a clydesdale type rider and am hoping to get back in shape. Gonna be commuting to work and school on my Kona Hoss (once it comes in).

Without turning this into a political debate, for those riders who typically carry concealed, what have you found to be the safest and easiest method?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    It would really depend on what you plan to carry (revolver, auto?) I use a CCW fannypack for those times I choose to carry when running or riding. This pack is designed for autos like Glocks and similar. It keeps it secure and keeps it from bouncing around, but isn't quite as available as a chest holster might be. I have seen some who carry it on the shoulder strap of a pack which seems like a good, accessable location, but might take some work to get it positioned the way you like it.

May 2009
    Thanks for the reply. I've been looking at the Maxpedition type packs because I'm also looking at carrying a laptop and books. I am not too worried about availability, there are work-arounds for that. The fanny pack is a definate idea. Thanks!

Jul 2008
    You really needed to post this as a topic? Pleeeze, you're looking for drama and you know it. Go to the cop shop and look at holsters, it's not that hard.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Chick
    You really needed to post this as a topic? Pleeeze, you're looking for drama and you know it. Go to the cop shop and look at holsters, it's not that hard.
    Interesting. I didn't see any "drama" until your post showed up. I guess that would make this a self-fulfilling prophecy. It was a simple question that can be addressed in a respectable way rather than trying to make an issue of something that isn't there.

May 2009
    #1. If you read my first post then you would know that I am NOT looking for the kind of drama that you are trying to get out of me.

#2. Anchskier was nice enough to post his opinion to which I gratefully answered and concidered the topic answered.

#3. I have learned through dealing with multitudes of personalities from different upbringings that if you cant intelligently contribute to a conversation, then keep out of it.

I asked a simple question, and got an excellent answer for which I am very greatful. I guess some people cant maturely answer a question nor understand to keep out of one when they have no constructive advise to give.

Anyone knows that riding with a holster inside your pants is not only uncomfortable but a safety issue. Mounted Bicycle LEO's wear holsters designed for this, which are not designed to be concealed. From the advise you have given it is obvious that you have no background on this and should not have answered this post to begin with.

May 2009
    MODS, please delete this thread as my question has been respectfully answered by a very upstanding member. I do not wish to continue or contribute to this potential flame war.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I sometimes carry a Kel-Tec .380 with Crimson Trace. This fits neatly in a Mountain FeedBag, made by EpicRideResearch.com. Attaches to the handlebar and stem, easy access. I get off work at midnight and see some weird people and things happening on my ride home. Hope this helps.

Wood chips are stupid

bang bang

I wouldn't mind riding with someone who was packing.I don't think I could tolorate the holster. I have to say though,there is a chance that you could run into a creature that would require something a little larger than a pistol...if thats what this thread is about.
    Welcome anyhow.

akdeluxe
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Excellent Point

I was thinking of the wrong kind of predator, perhaps.

Bikes are good

Bear

I've been out on trails for about 10 years now. I've seen several bears, and thankfully, they are always running away from me by the time I see them. Carrying a gun seems like adding danger to my ride. I take pepper spray if I'm alone. Otherwise, I take nothing. Don't ride at night, alone. Don't ride or run in the day alone and quietly through trails that surround a salmon spawning stream. The hand gun/mtn. bike ride seems like a Darwin award waiting to happen. Wait, those are pretty funny. Keep doing it.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50
    I've been out on trails for about 10 years now. I've seen several bears, and thankfully, they are always running away from me by the time I see them. Carrying a gun seems like adding danger to my ride. I take pepper spray if I'm alone. Otherwise, I take nothing. Don't ride at night, alone. Don't ride or run in the day alone and quietly through trails that surround a salmon spawning stream. The hand gun/mtn. bike ride seems like a Darwin award waiting to happen. Wait, those are pretty funny. Keep doing it.

Really the bottom line is that I will be riding at night, alone. I am not worried about wildlife for a second. I hike often and am armed with only a camera. I was just trying to get a grasp on what methods are employed by those who carry concealed in a SAFE manner.

I guess that disrupts your Darwin Award plan, good for me I guess.

FatBike Fiend

Frame bag

Quote Originally Posted by camo_ken
    Really the bottom line is that I will be riding at night, alone. I am not worried about wildlife for a second. I hike often and am armed with only a camera. I was just trying to get a grasp on what methods are employed by those who carry concealed in a SAFE manner.

I guess that disrupts your Darwin Award plan, good for me I guess.
    Welcome to the MTBR forum where there's often a shooting match going on.

You can carry anything short of an AK-47 in a frame bag where your heater is nicely protected and readily accessible flor plugging aggressive motorheads (I'm from the valley) and the odd horse caught on the Mooseberry Mesa trail. And there's room for plenty of extra ammo, they don't call me Wildfire for nothin'.
    Owner, Trailwerx Trails Contracting
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

Sep 2005

2 Sense....

You never stated WHY? you want to carry...but, IMAO I think that you have a better chance of being confronted with an 'urban wildlife' situation than you do of being 'people mugged'.

In that case...carry a real gun that can handle both situations. A small bore pistol is just going to piss-off the moose stomping you or the bear biting your ass.

Smith and Wesson 329PD .44 is what I carry...it is super-light in weight and packs some punch (Buffalo Bore makes one of the Alaska-worthy loads).

Frame bags are nice for expedition style carry...urban guerilla? ADVICE - carry it on your person! Fanny packs are a good compromise!

_________

Mark, will have lady wildfire 29'rd and stashed in Anchor town for the summer...I thought you said it came with a pistol mount!

ML

FatBike Fiend
    Martin,

I think I might have screwed up and sent yours with the handlebar-mounted bazooka atttachment instead. My legal team tells me to do a safety recall on those: Customers are complaining that every time they shoot, the recoil stops them dead in their tracks and throws them over the bars. People are so picky sometimes.

My, my! Turning Lady Wildfire loose in the big city? I fear for her honor.

Quote Originally Posted by qayaq_alaska

_________

Mark, will have lady wildfire 29'rd and stashed in Anchor town for the summer...I thought you said it came with a pistol mount!

ML
    Owner, Trailwerx Trails Contracting
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

Aug 2008
    If my employer would allow weapons on the premises I would be packing also. I commute at 04:00 along an 8 mile course through mid-town to get to work. There are a lot of dirt bags in this city and most everyone up at that time, especially on weekends are up to no good.

As you see there are plenty of left leaning people in this forum that don't believe in our right to bare arms.

Welcome and good luck on the exercise plan.

Ologist
    I am really surprised to hear that all these riders are packing heat in town.

There isn't a history of biker assault and molestation except on occasion by a few bears and moose; and chances are that your illegally concealed firearm is way too underpowered to deal with the 4-leggers. Are you guys commuting through Mountain View in the middle of the night screaming expletives??

I don't know if I would say these people are "left leaning" because they "don't believe in our right to bare (or bear) arms." I think they might better described as not so paranoid and fearful that they can ride through midtown under the midnight sun without clinging to a gun. Maybe you should just drive... but then again, there is road rage and you will have to pack heat to hold off the Valley commuters too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla
    I am really surprised to hear that all these riders are packing heat in town.

There isn't a history of biker assault and molestation except on occasion by a few bears and moose; and chances are that your illegally concealed firearm is way too underpowered to deal with the 4-leggers. Are you guys commuting through Mountain View in the middle of the night screaming expletives??

I don't know if I would say these people are "left leaning" because they "don't believe in our right to bare (or bear) arms." I think they might better described as not so paranoid and fearful that they can ride through midtown under the midnight sun without clinging to a gun. Maybe you should just drive... but then again, there is road rage and you will have to pack heat to hold off the Valley commuters too.
    You might want to brush up on current events. Since when is it illegal to carry a firearm, open or concealed? Let me answer that, it ISN'T. It is completely legal for almost anyone to carry a firearm either open or concealed without any form of permit.

Actually, your are wrong about the history of biker assault. Just a few years ago there was a pretty big issue with truckers going after bikers around the airport. It got to the point of trucks cutting them off and the drivers getting out and charging the bikers (women in the cases I recall).

Ologist
    Thanks Uncle Frank!! I didn't know you changed this:

Alaska Statute 11.61.220 allows anyone 21 or older, who may legally carry a firearm to also carry it concealed without having to obtain a special permit. The possession of a firearm at courthouses, school yards, bars and domestic violence shelters will continue to be prohibited. Alaskans may obtain a concealed carry permit if they want reciprocity with other states.

Tell me more about this trucker/biker thing...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla
    Thanks Uncle Frank!! I didn't know you changed this:

Alaska Statute 11.61.220 allows anyone 21 or older, who may legally carry a firearm to also carry it concealed without having to obtain a special permit. The possession of a firearm at courthouses, school yards, bars and domestic violence shelters will continue to be prohibited. Alaskans may obtain a concealed carry permit if they want reciprocity with other states.

Tell me more about this trucker/biker thing...
    At least Frank got something right. Even without that, all you needed was a concealed carry permit which just about anyone could get as long as they took the course.

Some truckers (not all, but more likely just a few bad apples) hauling gravel out to projects on/around the airport started to act agressively toward bikers. They would start by just swerving at the cyclist or just driving by way too close. After a little while, they got to the point of actually aiming for the bikers and in more than one case, pulled over blocking the shoulder of the road ahead, got out, and ran toward the women on the bike. She managed to get herself out of the situation, but it could have been bad very easily. I seem to recall in that case that there was more than one truck involved. I think one had stopped behind her as well, partially blocking her in. It seemed to stop after I notified the DOT project engineer onsite and the airport police were included in the discussion.

Aug 2008
    The woman that was shot on the coastal trail. She was jogging not on a bicycle, I suppose the bicycle would have made her bullet proof. I mainly carry a gun not because I am paranoid or fearful. I carry one because it pisses off the screaming libs that are so offended by the thought of people owning a gun. By the way the "Midnight Sun" only shines about 4 months out of the year at 04:00.

Ologist
    Sounds like fear to me....I guess if I felt I couldn't ride my bike without carrying a gun I would move. I don't know if you carrying a gun pisses off liberals it only gives rise to more people carrying guns. Enjoy your commute.
    Last edited by Valhalla; 06-12-2009 at 02:34 PM.

May 2009
    "An armed society is a polite society."

Also, make sure to check with APD first before carrying within the Municipality, because I think that you still need a CCW permit to carry within the city (not sure on that though, the muni statute page never works for me). Honestly though, taking the CCW class is a really good idea, because there are a lot of little caveats to the CCW law, and as a law abiding citizen, the last thing I want is a firearms violation on my record because of a little known rule I broke without knowing.

Also, it's not about pissing liberals off, saying stuff like that makes gun owners look crazy and vindictive. It's about exercising your rights protected under the constitution. If you really want to make a difference as a gun owner, join the NRA. If you own a gun and don't join the NRA your not doing yourself or anyone a favor. Also, the more people who obtain CCW permits helps protect our current ability to carry concealed in Alaska. Politicians look at user groups to determine how many people they are going to piss off by passing a law. For firearm laws, they look at NRA memberships and CCW permits, currently.

There are currently around 215 million privately owned firearms in the US with a population of 294 million people.

Aug 2008
    Sorry, not moving too many animals to kill in this state. More people carrying guns is a good thing!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    [QUOTE=Drzaous]"An armed society is a polite society."

Also, make sure to check with APD first before carrying within the Municipality, because I think that you still need a CCW permit to carry within the city (not sure on that though, the muni statute page never works for me). QUOTE]

CC is legal within the Municipality with the few exceptions of places like schools, hospitals, and court buildings.

Bikes are good

Still...

When I see people hiking anywhere, biking anywhere carrying a big shotgun or packing a pistol I laugh. (Valhalla, question, can people carry shotguns legally up the Dome trail. They weren't hunting. Just carrying for their hike into big bad bear country.) The big bad bear lurking behind any bush will run away from you whether or not you have that gun. If on the unlikely chance it decides you are worth its effort to kill, your little gun and the talent you think you have to use it will still lose.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

Ologist
    I don't know about the shotgun thing on the Dome Trail. Guns regs in this state are fairly lax as you can see in the statute listed above for concealed (limited only in vicinity of schools bars, DV shelters and courthouses). The Dome trail from the Tank/N. Bivouac entrance is on military land (Prospect entrance is state park?). As with hunting, you may need to register with the Base to carry. I think that at one point the Dome trail leaves military land as it climbs and is exclusively in the Park. In the State Park or even in the Muni Parks you can carry firearms for protection and I think it is fairly socially accepted to pack in Alaska for the most part.

Ologist
    [QUOTE=anchskier]
    Quote Originally Posted by Drzaous
    "An armed society is a polite society."

Also, make sure to check with APD first before carrying within the Municipality, because I think that you still need a CCW permit to carry within the city (not sure on that though, the muni statute page never works for me). QUOTE]

CC is legal within the Municipality with the few exceptions of places like schools, hospitals, and court buildings.
    Yes the new State revision for CC trumps any municipal regulations. Prior to the change you always carry "while engaged in outdoor activities".

Aug 2008
    Just because you don't agree with the law doesn't make it "Lax"

Ologist
    Who said I disagreed with it?? I never did and I never implied it. I was just laughing at you for feeling the need to pack a gun in your urban bike commute.

Alaska's guns laws are lax compared to most of the Nation, Mexico and Canada and that is a fact. Do you want to compare gun laws in Mass, Cali or Washington?

Aug 2008
    I look at all of those as too strict. Not to mention all of those cities that you listed with the exception of Canada. I'd definitely be packing if I had to commute through those cities with their far superior gun laws.

Ologist
    You think their gun laws are far "superior"? I wouldn't have expected that from you considering the in the previous sentence you said they were too strict...I am confused.

Aug 2008
    That was sarcasm, you're kidding right?

Ologist
    It was...

Members who have read this thread: 0