New to Anchorage- Mtbr.com
    Converted Desert Rat
    May 2014

New to Anchorage

Desert transplant from AZ looking for new mountain biking crew. Any suggestions for group rides?

I plan on checking out the Kincaid XC but that is a month away.

Also who's your favorite LBS?

mtbr member
    Welcome!

Both Trek Store and Chain Reaction are great. I've heard good things about most of the bike shops though. Trek had group mtb rides last summer, but I'm not sure if they've started up again yet.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    The Trek store is ridiculous. They don't even have the only treks in stock that I was interested in. Chain reaction, paramount, speedway, and if you're looking for a high end bike RTR.

Converted Desert Rat
    May 2014
    Thanks guys. I'm over by RTR so I'll check them out.

Different subject, still AK noob. Got any tire suggestions that are good for the local trails? I'm running specialized Capt n Controls 29 x2.20. They hook up well but aren't the best at shedding mud.

Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    You shouldn't wait to ride at Kincaid. This current weather is a treat. With the lack of rain the overgrowth is growing much slower than normal. Enjoy it while you can. Regarding bike shops I like RTR. Rick does good work and is near my house. I also do like the Bicycle Shop on Northern Lights service department.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Seconded on Kincaid: conditions are generally good right now. Well. Except for the smoke.

I like Paramount Cycles, but I haven't had much reason to go elsewhere in town. My wife likes Sunshine Fitness, since they carry Electra bikes.

Just FYI: Something to watch out for on pretty much any trail in Alaska, including those in Anchorage: Moose, and to a much lesser extent, bears. Moose can be *super* aggressive if they have a calf. Especially once it starts to get a bit overgrown out there, it can be surprisingly difficult to see a moose. You'd think they'd be easy to spot since they're so dang big, but they're shockingly hard for me to see at speed. I've gotten better at seeing them since I moved here four years ago.

I've never seen a bear near a bike trail personally, and god willing I never will but I know they're around.

Elitest thrill junkie
    That and the moose just don't move out of the way. If you are coming, making noise, etc, they'll still just sit/stand there. Lots of trails are great right now, kincaid, hillside, peninsula stuff.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    That and the moose just don't move out of the way. If you are coming, making noise, etc, they'll still just sit/stand there. Lots of trails are great right now, kincaid, hillside, peninsula stuff.
    Ha. Yes, that's a good point. When I moved here I expected the moose to be like deer I thought they'd run off when they saw a human. They most certainly do not.

Converted Desert Rat
    May 2014
    Thanks for the moose reminders. It is weird how they have absolutely no fear of humans or bikes. In AZ you'd get bulls, but if you yelled and raised your bike over your head they'd run off.

I guess it is time to check out Kincaid. Thanks everybody.

Maybe I'll see you on the trails. I'm on a green Niner MCR.

Elitest thrill junkie
    And every single ride is like riding in Flagstaff. Get out on the peninsula, the stuff there will blow your mind.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow_Lizard View Post
    Thanks for the moose reminders. It is weird how they have absolutely no fear of humans or bikes. In AZ you'd get bulls, but if you yelled and raised your bike over your head they'd run off.

I guess it is time to check out Kincaid. Thanks everybody.

Maybe I'll see you on the trails. I'm on a green Niner MCR.
    Don't yell at moose. They will kick your ass it is much better to talk nice and try to go around giving a wide berth or even better just turn around. Moose give no ****s about you and can easily kill you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Last summer, just out of the Raspberry parking lot, I had a black bear cub scale a tree right next to the trail and me. Know what that means? Yikes, the mom's very near. Carry bear spray on your body, in case you have to ditch your bike real quick 'cause you're too close to a dangerous animal. Run from moose, don't run from bears. Keep in mind the moose like to lie down on the cool dirt of the bigger banks of the trail. Treat moose with great respect, you bet they can kill you.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Learn moose mood indicators, hackles up means they're alerted combined with ears pointed up or forward means you are not an active threat but they're concerned. Hackles up and ears back means back the heck off you are perceived as a threat and the moose is ready to protect itself.

Personally I ride with bear bells on my bike. They make enough noise that I almost never encounter bears anymore and moose are not surprised to see me because they hear me coming. FWIW I don't carry bear spray I just mind my p's and q's.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Don't the bells drive you batty? And studies show that bears don't notice the melodic sound of bells. I attach a zip-tie to my frame and cut it to a length where the rear spokes will hit it, like the playing-card noise maker kids make for their bikes.

and btw, it's not weird that moose don't run. Their evolved protection strategy is to utilize their strength and size and sharp hooves, so they stand and fight. They haven't evolved to run away, like caribou and regular deer.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I'll hit up kincaid, I'm New the sport but am hitting up the trek store this week for a new ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I am a fan of the Bike Shop on Dimond - The guys are super nice and treat everyone really well. No arrogance or snootyness. Just a really laid back shop full of guys who are really stoked on riding bikes. Really knowledgeable too. And the service guys do an awesome job with repairs.
    -Ride it like you stole it

mtbr member
    I'm partial to Paramount. Friendly bike junkies willing to share their knowledge on all bikes and all price points. Some other shops in town are 'snobby' and I won't be going back.

Also, since you are new to Alaska, try taking a look at a new meet-up group, Bike Me Anchorage! Might help you meet some new like-minded friends.

Bike Me Anchorage! (Anchorage, AK) - Meetup

Bikes are good
    All the shops in town have their own personalities. I'd pick a place that was close, or in the area you spend most of your time. If they aren't a good fit for you and what you need them for, try another one.

It's been so sunny, 57 degrees feels freezing cold. WTF?
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50 View Post

It's been so sunny, 57 degrees feels freezing cold. WTF?
    I know, right? We're getting spoiled or something.

Elitest thrill junkie
    It was raining on my morning commute, but I was just thinking about how it compared to the "cold darkness" commutes during the winter when I was layered up like an astronaut. Made it pretty easy this morning.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bike-aroo View Post
    Don't the bells drive you batty? And studies show that bears don't notice the melodic sound of bells. I attach a zip-tie to my frame and cut it to a length where the rear spokes will hit it, like the playing-card noise maker kids make for their bikes.

and btw, it's not weird that moose don't run. Their evolved protection strategy is to utilize their strength and size and sharp hooves, so they stand and fight. They haven't evolved to run away, like caribou and regular deer.
    I thought the bells would be annoying but I hardly even notice them. And on a rigid bike they're anything but melodic.