Neos & Footwear??- Mtbr.com
    Beware of Doggerel

Neos & Footwear??

Any Neos users who wear 48 Lakes. I haven't had the best luck finding Neos in stock around town. It looks like, from checking the measurements on the neos website and measuring my shoes that I might be able to fit them into the XL and the XXL will certainly fit. I may have to order the neos. I figure I will go with the XXL but I was wondering if anyone has used the 48 lakes in XL neos. The 48s are already a few sizes too big for me and I don't want to feel like I'm in moon boots.

Anyone ride the Answer winter shoes? Thoughts? impressions? I can get down to about 5 or 10 below in my lakes before I get cold, but it depends somedays I get cold feet around zero. I haven't nailed all the variables yet, I figure some days I just have better circulation.

Thanks

Adam
    Last edited by Adam; 01-22-2005 at 12:59 AM. Reason: typos

FatBike Fiend
    ! wear 48 Answers with Neos XXL, but I think they'd fit in the Neos XL. I like the Answers, not a ton of insulation, but they have a big toe box for wiggle room and the neoprene cuff seals in the heat well and is a temporary barrier to overflow incursions. Try 5th Ave Outfitters for Neos. I need to get a new pair myself as the soles on mine are getting torn up after 4 winters of riding.

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

New question here. How do you use Neos for biking?

Ok, maybe I am just being dense, but how do you <a href= "http://www.overshoe.com/"> Neos </a> when biking? They look like large boots designed for putting over regular shoes? If so why still wear biking shoes with them as I you lose the clipless ability when you put the overshoes on. The soles also look too thick to still have the cleats stick out even if you did cut a hole in the bottom?

Can someone fill me in as to what I am missing from this picture?

Christopher

No, that's not phonetic
    Sorta like dis...

My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Bill M
    Quote Originally Posted by crsouser
    Ok, maybe I am just being dense, but how do you <a href= "http://www.overshoe.com/"> Neos </a> when biking? They look like large boots designed for putting over regular shoes? If so why still wear biking shoes with them as I you lose the clipless ability when you put the overshoes on. The soles also look too thick to still have the cleats stick out even if you did cut a hole in the bottom?

Christopher
    I mounted bike shoes inside the NEOS a few years ago by trimming the bottom tread on the bike shoes and the NEOS and using longer screws to mount the cleats but finally listened to advice from other riders and use flat pedals for winter riding. Maybe not for everyone but it works better for me. Also I use size 45 running shoes and they are snug in my XL NEOS.
    Cheers
    Bill M

FatBike Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by crsouser

Christopher
    I don't use clipless in winter and I like the bike shoe just for the stiff sole for better energy transfer to the pedals. Some people wear running shoes inside the NEOS.

Beware of Doggerel

Neos

Quote Originally Posted by Wildfire
    I don't use clipless in winter and I like the bike shoe just for the stiff sole for better energy transfer to the pedals. Some people wear running shoes inside the NEOS.
    Thanks for the info guys,
    Chris- I am thinking of a very specific application, my set up for the ride to McGrath is time z pedals with Lakes and neos. I can run the lakes in a clipless set up until just below zero, then I pop on the neos and ride flat pedals. Also the neos are good for crossing overlfow. I will probably spend at least 1/2 the race using neos and flat pedals.

Mark- If you need new neos 6th ave outfitters is expecting a new shipment in a few weeks, at the moment they only have two pairs of extra small in stock. REI has one pair of Navigators in XL and one XS but will not be ordering anymore this season. Eagle enterprises has a few pairs left over from last year. 6th Ave is definately the way to go, if you can wait. I really want to have all my gear picked out and tried out soon, so I may not wait for the new stock to come in.

I might take my shoes into REI and see if they fit the XL (I suspect they won't fit). I think I will have to modify the pedals to have room for the XXL neos.

Just got a nice down jacket, my extreme cold weather gear is the last bit of this McGrath gear puzzle.

Adam

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Pat knows the Neos rep

I'll have to dig up his number, but he's a local boy who reps several brands of outdoor gear. Call me for info.
    Pat

Dec 2004

advice from others????

Quote Originally Posted by Bill M
    I mounted bike shoes inside the NEOS a few years ago by trimming the bottom tread on the bike shoes and the NEOS and using longer screws to mount the cleats but finally listened to advice from other riders and use flat pedals for winter riding. Maybe not for everyone but it works better for me. Also I use size 45 running shoes and they are snug in my XL NEOS.
    Cheers
    Bill M
    Bill,

You took advice from others? No way!

Yours in platform pedal winter riding,

MIke

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

Thanks

Thanks All.. that helped clarify it for me..

Christopher

Wood chips are stupid

another way to do it...

I use the Lakes with clipless. If it gets cold,I slip a pair of insulated xc ski boot covers over them.That has kept the toes fairly toasty so far. Sometime I'll even use toe warmers with them. I can also put the whole works inside my Neos for max warmth on the nippy trail. The Time X pedals are great for the dual use. Gotta keep the feet dry and warm.Rides get reeeeeally long if your toes are numb.

Leo

Bill M

NEOS are here

The new shipment of NEOS are in at 6th Ave. Outfitters as of yesterday.
    Bill M

Bill M
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    Any Neos users who wear 48 Lakes. I haven't had the best luck finding Neos in stock around town. It looks like, from checking the measurements on the neos website and measuring my shoes that I might be able to fit them into the XL and the XXL will certainly fit. I may have to order the neos. I figure I will go with the XXL but I was wondering if anyone has used the 48 lakes in XL neos. The 48s are already a few sizes too big for me and I don't want to feel like I'm in moon boots.

Anyone ride the Answer winter shoes? Thoughts? impressions? I can get down to about 5 or 10 below in my lakes before I get cold, but it depends somedays I get cold feet around zero. I haven't nailed all the variables yet, I figure some days I just have better circulation.

Thanks

Adam
    Adam,
    One more pair of XXL Navigator 5 NEOS at 6th Ave outfitters and about 4 pairs of XL left. I tried my 48 Answers with the XL and they fit but opted for the XXL.

Mark on Bill M's computer.

Beware of Doggerel

Yahoo

Great news, that is the last bit of gear that I need. I saw a sample pair (of the new design) at eagle enterprises. The new Neos have studs in the sole for ice. This solves three problems, cold, glare ice and overflow all in one bit of gear. Yahoo.

Adam

The new shipment of NEOS are in at 6th Ave. Outfitters as of yesterday.
    Bill M

Bill M
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    Great news, that is the last bit of gear that I need. I saw a sample pair (of the new design) at eagle enterprises. The new Neos have studs in the sole for ice. This solves three problems, cold, glare ice and overflow all in one bit of gear. Yahoo.

Adam
    t
    That must be a differant model as the Navigator 5's don't have the ice studs.

Mark

Beware of Doggerel

yeah

t
    That must be a differant model as the Navigator 5's don't have the ice studs.

Mark
    Yeah, must be. I went by 6th ave tonight and they didn't have any models with studs. Those things must sell fast becasue they were all out of XL Navigators by the time I got there, they still had the XXL though. Man, If I moved as fast as NEOS do in this town, I'd be some sort of super biker.

Adam

Caveman

a word of caution

I had a pair of the Navigator 5's and I managed to get them to leak. getting them completly soaked. It took the open cell foam insulation 4-days!! to dry over my base board heater.
    So if you're suuurrrreee thet they are tall enough go for it. but I'm going with the uninsulated type with my own insulation that I can dry out better.
    Eric