Need FS XC advice- Mtbr.com

Dec 2007

Need FS XC advice

Hey All, I have been riding hard tails for 10 + years now. I am looking at buying a Trek Fuel EX 8 (2008 Model) or possibly Specialized. Can anyone recomend a comparable bike (MSRP: $2400) that I can use for XC Trail and racing? I am 6 ft tall and 220 lbs, and pretty aggressive so I'm not really a weight weenie.. Thanks for your help!

Diaskeuast
    You can get a Specialized Epic (the Comp Disc model) at that price. I've been riding one for three or four years now, and I love it. It's reasonably light, climbs almost like a hardtail thanks to the rear "Brain" shock, and the M4 frame is bombproof. I'm about your size and I've never managed to break any of the Specialized frames I've ridden over the past 20 years.

One of the best sources of information on all XC full-suspension bikes is the user review section of this site.

Bikes are good

I'm 230

And ride a Turner 5 Spot. The bike is incredible. I got onto one for 3100, a bit more than your wanting to spend, but it's been worth it. I've broken two of them, and Turner has sent new ones, reinforced where I needed it each time. Mine weighs 33 lbs, so it's not bad for having downhill rims and other burly equipment. It's a great bike for everything, steep technical downhill, climbing steep technical stuff, and your typical alaskan trail. I rode the soggy bottom twice and if I wasn't 230, maybe I'd have won it. Yeah right, anyway, it's a sweet ride man. Check out Turnerbikes.com or RTR in Anchorage.

is buachail foighneach me
    while i'm a big fan of trek bikes, i would give the redesigned fuel a year or two for them to work out the kinks before i would be willing to purchace one. same with any fs design. the suspension design itself works great. fuels are great bikes, but i'm just overly cautious i guess.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50
    And ride a Turner 5 Spot. The bike is incredible. I got onto one for 3100, a bit more than your wanting to spend, but it's been worth it. I've broken two of them, and Turner has sent new ones, reinforced where I needed it each time. Mine weighs 33 lbs, so it's not bad for having downhill rims and other burly equipment. It's a great bike for everything, steep technical downhill, climbing steep technical stuff, and your typical alaskan trail. I rode the soggy bottom twice and if I wasn't 230, maybe I'd have won it. Yeah right, anyway, it's a sweet ride man. Check out Turnerbikes.com or RTR in Anchorage.

Seems strange that after breaking 2 you would still recommend them.

JThornton7771: Generally all the major manufacturers offer comparable bikes within the same price range. To get a good value packed FS at ~$2400 check out Giant, Fuji, Gary Fisher, and Kona to name a few. Ride and then decide.

Aug 2007
    If i was 200 plus pounds i would try purchase a bike with a "fix it free policy" I am only 150 pounds and have broken a klien attitude and most recently a titus racerx, klien fixed the bike with no charge, Titus has a high replacment cost,, Their must be a clydesdale blog out their somewhere for the latest dope. I would go to RTR, speedway and chainreaction and see what is available for heavyweights.

Diaskeuast
    Quote Originally Posted by dmat
    Their must be a clydesdale blog out their somewhere for the latest dope.
    Psssst. Don't look now, but it's right behind you.

Bikes are good

free replacement

Is why'd I'd recommend them. It's also the best xcountry/freeride bike out there. After the first one broke, RTR had a new one in the shop and a rebuilt bike in under 5 days. No cost other than the upgrades I purchased. The 2nd one broke late in the fall, and I waited until spring to build a new one up Again, free other than the new toys I put on it. Customer service when you spend this much $ on something is #1. I can't imagine there being a stronger frame out there that wouldn't break. It's nice knowing there's support.

That was a ramble. Sorry.

Buy the new Spot dude.

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

SC or Turner.

Quote Originally Posted by JThornton7771
    Hey All, I have been riding hard tails for 10 + years now. I am looking at buying a Trek Fuel EX 8 (2008 Model) or possibly Specialized. Can anyone recomend a comparable bike (MSRP: $2400) that I can use for XC Trail and racing? I am 6 ft tall and 220 lbs, and pretty aggressive so I'm not really a weight weenie.. Thanks for your help!
    I love my Santa Cruz Blur XC and heavily debated picking up a Turner 5-Spot or Flux when it got stolen and I had to replace it.. but I have boughten one twice now and love it. At above 175/190 (I'm 185-210) I don't think you can get into an Intense. Though at $2400 it might be difficult to get into a Full Suspension Santa Cruz, Intense,Turner, or Klein, that isn't completely stripped down unless you buy a used one. The Santa Cruz Heckler may be one you could look at though.

Christopher

Members who have read this thread: 0