On my way up to Anchorage- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

On my way up to Anchorage

for a job interview this weekend. Just wanted to get some fellow mountainbikers opinions on living in Anchorage and Alaska in general. I live in seattle now, I climb, bike, board and if I move to AK maybe learn to hunt. Thanks for your input.

P

Aug 2008
    Sounds good, need more people that are willing to work in this state! Also people open to learning to hunt is a plus. Most people in these threads are tree-huggin anti hunters. Good luck on the job interview!!!!!

ckg

Mar 2007
    You can start with the Knik glacier Yeti. Hate to do it, but you can see from the Glacier Ride thread that he's just becoming to much of a threat. Don't know what they taste like.

Bikes are good

Learn to ride

in the snow. Summer is short, but very sweet, Winter is long, board all you want, but you'll want to have an arsenal of things to go out and do.

As for hunting. Yeah, go to the grocery store. Or ,don't call it hunting. A moose hunt is an oxymoron. I probably just all the red and black flannel "hunters" out there.

mtbr member
    I moved up here 3 years ago with little knowledge of the areas of Anchorage. I am downtown and it is great, but I spend a lot of my time driving over to the east side of town when I want to ride. So if you want to live close to the biking, running, and cross country ski trails, you should take a drive around East Anchorage. There are some great parts that abut along the tank trails, which make access to hillside perfect when you don't want to drive any place.

As for hunting; I use to live out in rural parts of AK where hunting and fishing were easy access...here in town...not so much and honestly I don't even miss it, too busy with all the other stuff going on...I've drop 20 lbs since living in Anchorage.... Good luck.

Caveman
    you'll want a splitboard for sure - bigger the better.

Ologist
    Why is a moose hunt an oxymoron??

Bikes are good

It's not hunting...

to shoot a moose you come across while walking the Anchorage trail systems.

mtbr member

so...

...a cop that, while walking his beat downtown, stumbles upon me ripping the stereo out of your car has not actually caught a thief, but he now feels better about himself because he looks good in blue? Man... you have the right to vote?

Bikes are good

Speaking of cops...

one just hunted a moose on Muldoon this morning, with his car.

C'mon now. Don't get all bent out of shape. Keep cooooool.

Aug 2008
    I hope I get a cow permit for the coastal trail this fall. Maybe even a calf permit - veal!

Bikes are good

Just so long

as you don't call yourself a hunter.

Go shoot dem wascally m-m-m-mooose

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by commutesonabanshee
    I hope I get a cow permit for the coastal trail this fall. Maybe even a calf permit - veal!
    mm..veal

sorry, saw veal and had to drop in. Ah, moose hunting..."I almost had him, then he suddenly bolted into a dead walk!!"
    Pedigre

Members who have read this thread: 0