My Iditarod Experience- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

My Iditarod Experience

I volunteered for Iditarod Communications this year. Spent 3 weeks of vacation time and had an amazing experience. Got to say hi to Pete Basinger in Shaktoolik when he arrived in town and needed to make a call, then again at the finish. I was stuck to the communications computer almost all of the time so I saw a few folks go past but couldn't get away to go out and say hi. The experience motivated me to bike more and work up to those kind of rides, will take a while though.

Volunteering for the Iditarod was a lot of work, but a really rewarding way to get out and see the remote checkpoints.

Anyway, here's a blog I did during the race...
    http://bobostrom.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Hi Bob
    I think you were lucky to get shaktoolik to experience the Iditarod,one of the more interesting check points in my opinion.I was biking and would have come through shaktoolik about 1 hour after Pete.I tend to avoid Iditarod check points unless i need info on the village or the trail takes me right past the places.I already feel a freak out there and some voluntees seem to feel scorn for us being on the trail.Maybe we make the mushers look bad .To be fair most Iditarod checkers ive met have been really kind and have been interested in what we are doing.Sorry to have missed you out there especially a fellow biker.

CARL
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yeah, Shaktoolik was interesting. Wonderful people, always offering to give a ride on their snowmachines.

I think I saw you come through if you were just behind Pete, was eyeball deep in dogs by then so I couldn't get away...

The only time I heard the bikers mentioned in scorn was stories from the past of folks showing up at checkpoints in need of help. There were stories of Veternarians treating frostbite, hypothermia, dehydration, etc... I'd always point out that those things could happen to anyone out there, on a snowmachine, on a bike, airplane, whatever.

Plus some jokes about the "Iditaidiots", nobody understands the thrill of riding a bike! Had to get that stopped real quick. People were generally very respective to the bikers, it's nice to have someone come through that doesn't stink like a musher.

My attitude is to provide help with things like phone calls that aren't consumables. The checkpoint has a limited food supply, so that's off limits to anyone but checkpoint staff for example. But that applied to everyone that is non-official Iditarod (locals, tourists, spectators, etc...)

I'll probably be a checkpoint volunteer for at least another year, I'll try to let folks know where I'm at and say HI.

thanks...

Members who have read this thread: 0