I know this is always a touchy subject, but thought that with some of this new snow, it would be a good time to bring it up. There are a number of new people up here this year and it looks like there are a number of people that may just be new to "winter" biking.

Please be aware that there are a number of trails in and around anchorage that are designated as "ski only" during the winter. Essentially, once the trails are considered groomed ski trails (which can be a bit confusing, but generally, once the trails are starting to be maintained for skiing in any way), they are off limits to other modes of transportation, including by bike, foot, horse, etc... Don't fret, there are still tons of multi-use trails and thankfully the new STA trails to ride all winter. Add in all the trail on the north side of Stuckagain Heights and there is some awsome riding out there all winter long.

The "short list" of ski-only trails includes:
*Hillside Lighted loops (the ~8.5k of trail with lights, including Randy's loop/Jr. Nordic Loop). Basically, if you see light poles, you shouldn't be riding there in the winter except for that short connector from Service to the multi-use loop (4-way intersection after the first little rise leaving Service to the east).
*Spencer Loop (this includes the section from the bridge at the bottom to the link to Prospect Heights)
- Please note, to access the new STA trails in the winter, you will need to find a route to them that does not include using Spencer. You can either go directly up the steep hill from the gasline or come down from Prospect. There are some other small connectors from just above the south side of Hilltop as well.
*Double Bubble (the two small hilly segments immediately across the Gasline from Spencer)
*All Kincaid ski trails (singletrack probably open, but not sure how to access without getting on ski trails first) except for the new paved path into the park and Coastal Trail out which are maintained as multi-use throughout the winter.
*Russian Jack - Not sure of the details here, but I think there may be a multi-use access route
I'm sure there are others, but that is all I came up with off the top of my head. If there is a trail that you are specifically wondering about, feel free to ask and I will try to help when possible.

Although other trails are open to riding, winter biking is very similar to spring biking. The biker has to assess the conditions and see if it is really appropriate to be riding. Although it may be open, you still need to realize that you may be leaving large ruts that may be a hazard to other users or yourself the next time you ride. We all know the damage that horses can make in soft trail conditions, we need to do our part to keep from making the same kind of impact on the trails ourselves. Really, it isn't much fun to ride when you are sinking in anyway, so it isn't a huge issue.

Overall, please be curteous to the other users. As many people know, there are a few bikers out that are not aware of the restrictions and just need to be informed. As with them, there are a number of skiers each year that are likewise unaware of what the restrictions are, and you may have one of them tell you that you are in the wrong place. Please try to avoid the yelling match and try to work with the other person. If you know you are in the right, let them know without biting their head off. Acting like an adult goes a long way to better the reputation of the group as a whole.