MTB rental and general advice for travel to Kenai Peninsula- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

MTB rental and general advice for travel to Kenai Peninsula

Hi,

My wife and I are thinking of a trip to the Kenai Peninsula this summer and I was wondering if there were any spots to rent mountainbikes in the area. We are going more for general sight-seeing/hiking so its not a make or break factor in the trip, but it would be great to hit up a few of the trails there.

Our tentative plan is to fly in to Anchorage, rent a car and stay in a rental cabin in Seward or one of the other small towns. We may try to extend our trip a few days and drive up to Denali. If anyone has any general travel related advice on these areas it would be much appreciated. Especially any advice on rental cabins. We had also looked at renting a camper van, but I'm not sure if I can convince my wife on that one.

Thanks!

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Here is an LBS in Seward to start your search for information:
    http://www.sewardbikeshop.com/

You might also try asking your question on our local forums:
    http://akspokes.com/

Bikes are good

Seward

If you are staying in Seward, riding the Lost Lake trail will be a must do. I don't think you can rent bikes in Seward, so you'll need to rent one in Anchorage somewhere. The bicycle shop rents them. Crown Point is a heck of a climb, but a beautiful trail by Seward too. Cabin on a cliff in Seward is really cool. I've never stayed there, but I've seen it and it's cool.

Lost Lake 16 miles one way (Lake is not exactly in the middle, but you should get to the lake if you go in and turn around from Primrose or Lost Lake side
    Resurrection Pass 40 miles (tons of info out there on this one)
    Crescent Lake
    Johnson Pass

Good luck

is buachail foighneach me
    Backcountry Bikes in Palmer, which is about 40 miles north of anchorage, rents bikes and guides trips on the trails down on the Kenai.. Might be worth checking out one of their day trips. http://www.mountainbikealaska.com/index.html

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thank you all for the ideas; I can't wait to visit your state!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Billy is your man

Arctic Cycles can set you up with a sweet ride, Billy is currently riding to Nome, so give him a month before contacting him.

Members who have read this thread: 0