moving questions- Mtbr.com

Aug 2007

moving questions

I am moving back to Anchorage next month and am not driving, my car just won't make it, so it is being donated. Instead of packing a car with all my belongings and attempting the al-can in winter I am attempting to get everything from Denver by flying and shipping.

I have two bikes I would like to get to Anchorage, and after looking at pricing for shipping a bike (ups quoted $300 and I guess a bike is too big for usps), I am trying to find a slightly cheaper route. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have and will fly with one bike, the second is the problem.

A second question... I am planning on commuting around Anchorage, and am wondering if i will need studded tires over the winter or if some of the paths are plowed well enough that I can get away without them. What tires do you suggest for winter commuting?

Thanks!

mtbr member

Commuting in Anchorage

cider,

Most of the multi-use trails stay pretty well plowed/groomed, but you might make XC skiers angry if you leave big ruts in the trial. Wide tires can help with that. Getting around town (not on the trail system) isn't very commuter friendly in the winter. Studs are pretty much a must have. Usually the plows just heave the road snow onto the sidewalks, which aren't that great to begin with.

Jul 2006
    If you are in no big rush reciving your second bike. You may look into Alaska Marine Lines. As for being too big for USPS I have had bikes shipped with them in the past. They charge a ballon rate on anything over 108" but it was well worth it considering the alternatives.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I would get a second quote for shipping. don't call the ups store, they're the middle man, call the ups hub and give the dimensions of your box. Don't say bicycle. I have shipped by ups for under a hundred. Studded tires are the best investment you will make and Nokian 294s are the best all around, they last longer and grip better than the 300s and far better than schwalbe. It is when the plows come through that you need the studs. I ride surface roads most of the time to commute, and you will figure out your safe routes quickly.

Diaskeuast
    Studs are essential for commuting here in the winter. The only way you might get by without them is if a groomed trail starts at the edge of your yard and ends at your work place. Otherwise, you're going to find yourself on icy sidewalks and roads on a regular basis. And don't go cheap; buy some good Nokians.

A pair will cost you 200 bucks. Compare it to the cost of one visit to the ER with a concussion, or a broken elbow or wrist. Or what you'd pay for gas to drive all winter. The tires are worth it.

As for shipping, UPS and FedEx won't take boxes over a certain size from you or me, but they will take them from commercial clients like bike shops. Check with a local shop and see if they'll ship it for you. They'll likely charge a small fee, but they can probably get it on the UPS truck even though you can't.

Or, if you don't mind schlepping two boxes through the airport, simply box up both bikes and take them on the plane. Even if they charge you $60 or $70 for a one-way trip, it would probably save you some money.

It's All About We!
    Dec 2005
    Cider,

If you end up boxing and shipping, try to customize the box. Cut down all three dimensions (you likely won't be able reduce the width by anything, but it's worth it if you can) as much as you can, to the smallest possible dimensions to reasonably accommodate your bike and packing/padding. Then, reassemble w/ duct-tape, strapping tape, industrial stapler, gum, glue-sticks, garden twine, paste...what ever does a bomber job. This method can often save you a ton on shipping charges, especially if you ride a smaller frame, ride 26" vs 29", etc. Don't forget to put blocks between the front and rear forks (rear, only if you're shipping it w/o the rear wheel already in the frame) so the forks don't get squished. Also, zip-tie all the loose parts together (pedals, saddle, fenders, etc.), or to the frame, just incase the box opens at some point during its journey. I've also liberally duct-taped loose parts to the inside of the box to keep them from floating around inside the box or trying to escape. Lastly, I usually take off my drive-side crank, so my chainrings don't get bent. Can't be too safe, ya know.

Bon Voyage!

Kevin

Aug 2007
    Thanks for all the tips! Moving sure is a pain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Shipping

You might get quotes from DHL, UPS & FedEx. Generally, ground is cheapest, but not always and you never know who will have the best quote. You can also ship UPS ground to Tacoma then shipped here via barge with which ever outfit you like. Carlile Transporation has done well for me - they have a Tacoma address you can ship to and it arrives here less than a week after they get it down there.

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    http://www.sportsexpress.com/

$193.33

I've used these guys in the L48 before, but it's a little pricey from Denver to ANC.

mtbr member
    I just had an Ebay purchased bike shipped air freight via Alaska Air. It cost $70 from Oakland. UPS wanted over $350. Call Alaska Airlines freight. It might take a couple of days, but it works, is trackable and somewhat affordable.

Members who have read this thread: 0