moving to the Anchorage area from Wales- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

moving to the Anchorage area from Wales

I will be moving to the Anchorage area shortly. I currently live in Wales and enjoy great XC/FR singletrack straight out of my garage 7 days a week. I will be working on Elmendorph Base, so being close to work would be nice too.

Where would the best place in Anchorage to live/buy a house be?

My budget is $250k. I have been looking at the University Area and Eagle River. Hilltop looks nice, but it's out of my price range.

I've read BAD things about Muldoon, Spenard and all the area's that end in 'View'. Is this right?

My criteria is:
    1. close to trails
    2. close to work / ability to ride to work and not get run over
    3. garage
    4. close to a grocery store
    5. <$250

Eagle River looks good, but doesn't seem to have the amount of trails as East Anchorage.

Any advise would greatly be appreciated.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Sounds like you need a house on the East Side, but not in the places you listed above. University Area is nice and close to the main urban trails which lead to the lower hillside pretty easily, lots of other places on the East Side that are not like Muldoon. Riding on base will mean hitting the sidewalks and streets since the only urban path runs along the Main Highway. I'd start by going to Google Maps, turning on the bike trails feature, to scope out where the best living location might be in comparison to work and play.

Anchorage, AK - Google Maps

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've lived in Eagle River for 7yrs and like it. Not as much designated, developed single track as in Kinkaide and Hillside of Anchorage but there is good access to relativly undeveloped land where there are some offroad riding opportunities (and even more great hiking & backcountry skiing etc). The park lands along eagle river are probably my favorite XC typre riding areas to explore. There is a nice paved bike path that parallels the hiway into Anchorage that makes for good bike commuting, about 10 miles to JBER, the path even gets plowed in winter if you are a die-hard bike commuter. Eagle River is somewhat more affordable that the good parts of Anchorage and has much nicer quality of life and community feel that the sketchy low cost areas of Northeast Anchorage.
    Real estate prices throughout Anchorage/Eagle River are fairly high, for >250K you can probably find an attached townhouse/condo on a tiny lot, probably not likely to find a detached single family home that does not have major issues.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JordyB View Post
    . Riding on base will mean hitting the sidewalks and streets since the only urban path runs along the Main Highway. I'd start by going to Google Maps, turning on the bike trails feature, to scope out where the best living location might be in comparison to work and play.

Anchorage, AK - Google Maps
    Another good anchorage trail map application to check out is;
    MOA Trails Mapper

From Anchorage, if you can get somwehere close to Russian Jack park, it has N-S trails that will take you almost to the Boniface entrace JBER gate with only a few blocks of street/sidewalk riding required.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I have some outdoorsy friends that like living in Airport heights. Cheaper, close to trails, but not as nice as some other areas.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I would say Russian Jack area. I live on the Northeast side, its not nearly as bad as some make it sound. It sounds like you would know a good from sketchy neighborhood.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thank you everyone...all of this info is really helpful. Sounds like I'll have to look into Russian Jack and Eagle River (the backcountry skiing option sounds great). Please keep the info coming, I really appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I just sent you a PM with some info.

mtbr member
    Anchorage has a great trail system so many areas of the city you can get on to some sort of trail, primary singletrack areas are at Kincaid Park, at the West end of Raspeberry, and Bicentennial Park accessible from Elmore, East Tudor and Abbott, and then other trails higher up hillside. Pretty tough to find good mountain bike trails close to Elmendorf though.

You've probably already found this site, www.AlaskaRealEstate.com - Statewide MLS system - Homes, Land, Commercial, Businesses, it has a good search engine for real estate, Zillow.com has a great map search.

Sounds like you are figuring things out fairly accurately. Some folks love Eagle River, but for the good and the bad, it is a little far from things going on in the city, movies, restaurants, art, etc. I was in the same bind when I moved up here, looking at the same price range. I ended up in a condo, between Spenard and Turnagain, which worked fine but the neighborhood left something to be desired, but it worked for a few years, most houses in that price range are older, built in the 60's with single or no garages. There are some finds if you look hard enough lots of houses hanging on the the market for a while so don't be afraid to make a low offer on a little higher price offerings.

PM if you need more info

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I've been finding a few gems here and there in Anchorage, but things are different when you see them for 'real'. Eagle River definitely has better house prices, I just hope it's not too far away from the racing during the week.