Moving to Alaska!- Mtbr.com
    HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

Moving to Alaska!

I'll be moving to Anchorage in Jun/Jul 2005 after 4 years of living in Italy. My wife and I are really excited! I know it's a long way out but could anyone give me pointers on good cycling clubs (road or mtb) and good places to live. I wouldn't mind commuting since the price of housing seems a bit high in Anchorage. If you don't want to clog the forum you can e-mail me at davidsewall AT tin DOT it. Thanks - Dave

Dec 2003
    http://www.arcticbike.org/ is a good place to get started.

Jun 2003

Military?

Welcome, in advance. There is around 250mi of paved multi-use trails here, with a very healthy cycling community. There are mountains within riding distance, with great off road trails also.

Are you planning on buying property, or renting? How big is the family?

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

Thanks

Hooligan - thanks for the articbike link...just what I was looking for!

Damion - thanks, I am in the USAF. I can't wait, I love Italy but I want to get back to the USA. To answer your question, we plan to buy a house (preferably stand-alone). Right now there is just my wife and I, but we plan to make some babies while we are there. We are first-time homebuyers so we don't know what to expect. I've been looking for real estate sites on the internet but so many of them seem like garbage some moron threw together.

Does anyone know if Elmendorf has a cycling team? At Aviano we have one that is pretty active. We race in local Italian races and go up to Germany for the military series.

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

Riding

Quote Originally Posted by daveIT
    Does anyone know if Elmendorf has a cycling team? At Aviano we have one that is pretty active. We race in local Italian races and go up to Germany for the military series.
    I don't know if Elmendorf has a cycling team, but I know there is a respectibley sized group made up of mostly retirees that put in a lot of road miles out on Elmendorf/Ft. Richardson.

I am very active with the Arctic Bike Club's touring devision and coming along with us will give you a good overview/introduction of favorites in the area. During the week we do 'in town' rides (within 20 miles of Anchorage) and on the weekend we do everything from a nice little jaught up to Cresent Lake (13 m RT) to Resurection Pass (38 m OW). Via the group you would probably meet at least a few people that met your skill level or they would at least be able to introduce you to someone with similar riding interests.

Lastly, arriving in June and possibly July, you risk missing a good chunk of the season, but depending when you arrive there are several large cycling events both road and mountain bike that you would be able to participate in.

Christopher

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

sounds good

I ride everything - road, mtb and cross...did some snow biking in Colorado. I grew up in northern Maine so the cold doesn't scare me. I was riding a lot of km during spring and summer here in Italy, but a back injury and taking college classes has slowed me down a lot.

What is the altitiude in Anchorage? When I moved from Colorado to Italy I felt like I had superpowers for awhile. It's nice here because I am a 10 minute ride from the "pre-Dolomiti" mountains. Does anyone have info on xc skiing? It's something I used to do as a kid in Maine that I would love to get back into. Thanks for the good info...keep it coming!

Dec 2003
    Elmendorf has a fairly active cycling community. Its run through the elmedorf outdoor rec center. Heres the link: http://home.gci.net/~draker/orca.htm

Heres the link to the local xc club http://www.anchoragenordicski.com/ In addition to the ski trails in town during the winter months you can xc ski on the elmedorf golf course cart paths. The base also has a small ski hill, Its a good place to learn.
    Last edited by Hooligan; 09-19-2004 at 11:16 AM.

Jan 2004
    Heres a link to the Alaska Multiple Listing Service.
    Inventory for 300+ Alaskan realtors.

http://www.alaskarealestate.com/<!-- / message -->