Mountain Biking Iditarod Trail?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Mountain Biking Iditarod Trail?

I live in South Carolina which is about as far away from you guys as one can get and still be on U.S. soil. Over the years I have hunted a lot in Alaska and hunted grizzly there in April of 2010. My buddy and I flew into Unalakleet and from there we traveled on the Idatarod trail by snow machine to a tent camp near Whale Back Mt. After returning to the village I borrowed a MTB from one of the Eskimos and in addition to riding a bit on the IT also rode apiece out on the ice of Norton Sound. Are any particular sections of the IT popular among mountain bikers?

Second question. I get the impression from some of your threads that MTBing is popular on Kodiak Island. Considering the density of alders, tall grass and other vegetation there, what, if anything, do you take along on your bike for protection against brown bears? I cannot imagine riding in that country without bringing along a big can of pepper spray.

Happy Trails from The Sunny South
    Last edited by stumpbumper; 01-12-2011 at 08:43 PM.

No, that's not phonetic
    The only person indicating that riding on Kodiak is "popular" is me. The riding community here is very small. MOST of the island is wilderness. There are not huge trail networks here, I just do a good job portraying the few that exist.

I ride with bear spray sometimes. Only during certain times of the year and in certain areas. On most of the occasions when I have run into bears on my bike I did not have any spray with me. The bears here are pretty friendly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Yesterday I discovered the video you posted back in June and that prompted me to post the question about riding on Kodiak. Great shooting, by the way, with several angles I had not seen before.

I love Alaska and had I discovered it back when I was much younger, I would be living there now rather than looking forward to my next trip.

Thanks for your response.

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpbumper
    .... Are any particular sections of the IT popular among mountain bikers?
    The whole thing.

http://www.alaskaultrasport.com/alas...home_page.html

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Some of those scenes look familiar. The yellow sign that reads "Unk 20Mi", do you know if that's Unalakleet? That's the village I rode from. The cabin out on the trail looks like the one we had lunch in. In another scene she is shown on the ice of Norton Sound. I did some of that as well and it was much smoother riding than on the IT. I may be the only South Carolinian who has ever mountain-biked on the Bering Sea.

I was there in April, about four weeks after the dog sled race. The dogs obviously lose quite a few of the little fabric booties they wear on their feet as I picked up several. In one place along the trail I found scattered clumps of straw that appeared to have been placed for a team of dogs to sleep on. Several booties had been left behind there as well. I have wondered since if a musher and his four-legged friends spent a night there or just stopped to rest for awhile.

I enjoyed the video. Thanks very much.

By the way, we got six inches of snow during Christmas, the most we have had in many years. A mere sprinkle for you guys.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I was wrong about the cabin where we had lunch. This is the one----at mile 719.

is buachail foighneach me
    Unk is Unalakleet. If you flew into or out of there, it was on your luggage tags. Unk is their airport abbreviation. How was the trail and sea ice conditions in April?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Yes, that's where we flew into and out of.

Going in the trail was in great condition but after about six days of hunting the snow began to melt fast. By the time we broke camp and headed our snow machines back toward the village the snow had melted away in spots to expose the tussocks and that made for a bumpy ride. At that point in time I'd say about 90 percent of the trail still had a good bit of snow. In contrast to that, I was told the ice on Norton Sound was still much thicker than usual for that time of year.

It was one of the most enjoyable trips I have ever taken.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    The only person indicating that riding on Kodiak is "popular" is me. The riding community here is very small. MOST of the island is wilderness. There are not huge trail networks here, I just do a good job portraying the few that exist.

I ride with bear spray sometimes. Only during certain times of the year and in certain areas. On most of the occasions when I have run into bears on my bike I did not have any spray with me. The bears here are pretty friendly.
    Note to tscheezy. Your videos are spectacular and you use camera angles I have never seen anywhere else. That obviously takes a lot of time, effort and imagination.

If you don't mind revealing a trade secret or two, how did you get the 360 degree rotation shots of Barney on her new 5spot? In some scenes I can barely see a mount atop her helmet and I'm thinking a section of ski pole or something similar extends from there out to the camera. I'm guessing the mount has a swivel and Barney reaches up and gives the pole a spin for those shots. If that be the case how did you keep the camera from bouncing up and down as she rode? Whatever the case may be it is darned ingenious to say the least

I am also wondering what camera you are using. I was thinking GoPro but have seen videos shot by others with it and compared to theirs there seems to be virtually no "shake effect" in yours.

Keep up the good work as I am sure many others enjoy seeing your work as much as I do.
    Last edited by stumpbumper; 01-15-2011 at 10:49 AM.

No, that's not phonetic
    Glad you liked the vids. All your video questions are answered in this thread. You may have to scroll through some unrelated stuff to get there though. The spinny head thing is in post #26. The zip line comes later (post #114).

I do use GoPro cameras, and I am pretty careful about minimizing shake when I shoot, plus I make judicious use of iMovie's stabilization feature when I process the video.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thank you very much for the information.

And keep those great videos coming.

Jan 2011
    This is one of my first videos, so no where near as good as tscheezy. But show the trails we have in south central ak, including the historic iditarod from seward to moose pass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfG-1mMpuyM

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Sewered Rider
    This is one of my first videos, so no where near as good as tscheezy. But show the trails we have in south central ak, including the historic iditarod from seward to moose pass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfG-1mMpuyM

Very nice video. Thanks very much for posting it.

Members who have read this thread: 0