Mountain biking in Homer...help!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Mountain biking in Homer...help!

I'm going to be AK in a couple of weeks...is there any mountain biking to be done in Homer?

is buachail foighneach me
    as far as i know, homer mtbing is mostly dirt roads and four wheeler trails. if you have the option of driving, most of the kenai epics, which are some of the best singletrack in the state, are within a 3 to 4 hour drive.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Yeah...I know...we are going to do Devil's Pass or part of Johnson Pass...but we need something to ride in Homer. Thanks. Know anything about that road in Seldovia ?

mtbr member
    I never did spend much time riding some of the backtrails in Homer when I lived there. Most of the bike 'trails' are shortcuts from one street or neighborhood to the next

Two things I suggest is 1) go to Homer saw and cycle (which is located on Ocean Dr on your way to the spit) and talk with them about trails and 2) if nothing else head up towards Olson Mt or the reservoir and ride around up there

Most of the ATV trails that I am aware of are going to have mud holes and are generally rutted up

Diaskeuast
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmountainrider84532
    Know anything about that road in Seldovia ?
    There used to be a ride at the end of that road, but the trail has long since eroded away and become overgrown. Most of the land next to the road is private or owned by a Native corporation, so there's no public access, and no trails to speak of anyway.
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

Wood chips are stupid
    Buy some slicks for your scoot. There is really good road riding in Homer when you're not hitting the trails.

akdeluxe
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

tlk
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    One ride I've really been enjoying in the Homer area this year is to park at Diamond Creek trailhead, follow it to the beach, Hang a left, and ride to Homer. From Bishops Beach, you can ride back up the hill to the trailhead. Make sure it's a very low tide, and take a little air out of your tires on the beach portion.

Sep 2006

Homer

Quote Originally Posted by bigmountainrider84532
    I'm going to be AK in a couple of weeks...is there any mountain biking to be done in Homer?
    Homer on Homer : http://www.homertribune.com/article.php?aid=387 old post, but maybe.

And there is another dude that also distinguished himself on the Iditarod Trail that lives in Homer I think ... Pat Irwin. If there is single track there I bet he'd tell ya where. He and his wife have a studio there last I heard.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

enjoy Devils Pass

make the most of the good trails on your way to Homer, cause we don't have a very good network of MTB trails.
    But when you're here, call Derek at CycleLogical bike shop at 226-2925. He will steer you in the best direction.

And if you have a fatbike, the beach riding here is fun.

Good luck,

Pat

Members who have read this thread: 0