Mountain Bikes, Juneau (looking for advice)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Mountain Bikes, Juneau (looking for advice)

I'm looking for friendly advice:

Planning a visit to relatives in Juneau in May

Sadly it's only short (10 days including flights from UK) :-(

I want to ride quite a bit, and am looking at options.
    (I'd like a hardtail capable of doing the Perverance Trail.)

I currently own a Trek 6700, Orange P7 and Thorn Rohloff Sterling, but for s short trip I'd be happy to be on a little lower spec.

• Fly my bike in (Expensive, maybe $300-$500)
    • Rent (Can't find any online prices)
    • Buy (?LBS shops - Jill's blog suggests "The only bike shop in all of Juneau, Glacier Cycles, shuttered its doors on Christmas Eve")
    • Buy used (haven't found any classified websites so far)

(If I buy, I may have the option of storing at relatives in Juneau for my next visit!)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Kath

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cycle Alaska

We just found out that a new shop is opening in Juneau: Cycle Alaska Tours, or something like that. We didn't get a number but I think they have a website, or at least email. Google them and see what you get.

We were told they will be a bike shop as well as leading bike tours.

If you hop on the Ferry to Haines/Skagway you can visit Sockeye Cycle where you'll find more tours and bike rentals. You can Google them, too.

Pat
    freespiritwear.com
    (Alaska cycling jerseys)

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks very much Pat,

I've found cyclealaska dot com, which is Sockeye Cycles tour website, so looked at the possibility of going to Haines / Skagway to rent..

Have booked with Air France, whose rates don't seem quite as expensive, but still costly, so am continuing to look at all alternatives.

Cheers

Kath

@adelorenzo
    I'm not sure how far your want to range from Juneau, and I am biased, because I live here, but the riding across the border in Canada is really good. You're looking at a few hours on the ferry to Skagway, and then 1 hour drive to Carcross or 2 hours to Whitehorse. There is a bunch of info on the web but check out this article to pique your interest:

http://borealebiking.ca/assets/documents/media-mkuk.pdf

Depending on the dates in May, it might be too early for Carcross. A lot of trail options in Whitehorse would be good to go anytime in May.

These guys rent full-suspension bikes, also do guiding and have amazing accommodation
    :
    http://borealebiking.ca/

The local shop in Whitehorse sells Giant, Kona, Norco if you are really into buying and not getting anywhere with the local shops in the US:

http://icyclesport.com/

Regards,
    Anthony

Members who have read this thread: 0