Mountain Bikes & Art- Mtbr.com
    Grillin' & Chillin'

Mountain Bikes & Art

What's your community done to promote bicycles and art? Check what the neighborhood young artisans have proudly put on display on our street.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grill Meister
    "There were never any good old days
    They are today, they are tomorrow
    "
    - Gogol Bordello

Beware of Doggerel
    I love it.

On the simplest of levels, it says I rode a wheelie into a snowbank, fell off, and left my bike here. But really art is never that simple.

The use of color strikes me first. Red, the fastest of all colors, is used for the wheels and bars because the wheels are always moving faster than the rest of the bike and the bars always get to where you are going first. Yellow, the second fastest of all colors as well as the universal color of winners, bananas and Big Bird is used for the remainder of the piece. The use of yellow shouts, Iím a winner and I donít care who knows it. Yet, the bike itself is abandoned mid-wheelie in a snowbank. A poignant contrast that shows us that even the strongest of winners can be laid low by the forces of nature. Finally the black touches on the fork and wheel, bespeak the failure of a dream. Like Icarus the unknown rider dared to dream of flight and wheelies but these dreams brought him or her, but most likely him, too close to the sun. He was burned in the fire of his own aspirations and fell to earth.

The sun itself plays a big part of in this installation as the piece is impermanent. Each day it ages as it melts. Eventually this art, like the men who created it, will die. Again we see that the artist forces us to acknowledge a profound contrast. The Sun which is the brings life to all things on this planet, brings nothing but decay and death to this work.

It is at once profound and humbling.

Adam
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

Diaskeuast
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    I love it.

On the simplest of levels, it says I rode a wheelie into a snowbank, fell off, and left my bike here. But really art is never that simple.

The use of color strikes me first. Red, the fastest of all colors, is used for the wheels and bars because the wheels are always moving faster than the rest of the bike and the bars always get to where you are going first. Yellow, the second fastest of all colors as well as the universal color of winners, bananas and Big Bird is used for the remainder of the piece. The use of yellow shouts, Iím a winner and I donít care who knows it. Yet, the bike itself is abandoned mid-wheelie in a snowbank. A poignant contrast that shows us that even the strongest of winners can be laid low by the forces of nature. Finally the black touches on the fork and wheel, bespeak the failure of a dream. Like Icarus the unknown rider dared to dream of flight and wheelies but these dreams brought him or her, but most likely him, too close to the sun. He was burned in the fire of his own aspirations and fell to earth.

The sun itself plays a big part of in this installation as the piece is impermanent. Each day it ages as it melts. Eventually this art, like the men who created it, will die. Again we see that the artist forces us to acknowledge a profound contrast. The Sun which is the brings life to all things on this planet, brings nothing but decay and death to this work.

Adam
    Huh, huh, huh. A bike doin' a wheelie in a snowbank.

Cool.
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

Grillin' & Chillin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    I love it.

On the simplest of levels, it says I rode a wheelie into a snowbank, fell off, and left my bike here. But really art is never that simple. . . . . . .

Adam
    Adam - That's what I love about art. Everybody gets something different from it. I saw it as a spontaneous visual masterpiece done with no aforethought. That it could, or would be enjoyed by others, was of no consideration, it was only done to satisfy the soul of the creator.
    Grill Meister
    "There were never any good old days
    They are today, they are tomorrow
    "
    - Gogol Bordello

mtbr member

cool

Whoa - just re-read my previously posted blurt - not supportive of biking or art at all. Apolgies to those it may have offended - lots of kiddo's here in my neck of the woods riding rattle can painted bikes - nice to see kids out riding bikes.
    Last edited by Mesotony; 04-21-2008 at 10:38 PM.

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    red and yellow bike
    ghost wheelie in the snow bank
    wish i was riding

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    What's your community done to promote bicycles and art? Check what the neighborhood young artisans have proudly put on display on our street

I took this picture in Takotna, March 08. Contemporary art is alive and well in the villages.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0