Mooseberry Stampede new website- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Mooseberry Stampede new website

Just wanted to let you know that Mooseberry Stampede will be on Saturday June 11 this year. The race is on the same great trails, but the website has moved (result of google changes):
    https://sites.google.com/site/vmbahr...berry-stampede
    with a short version of www.tinyurl.com/mooseberrystampede2

Couple changes this year. We're doing online registration through active.com and will let you know when the setup is finished - hopefully in a week or so.

At a racer's suggestion, we're considering having a 2nd loop IF there's enough demand (min of 3 to think about it; preferably more like 6). We might use a slightly early start, BUT we're still working on WHETHER to do it and HOW to do it without adding a lot of volunteer time. Thoughts, let us know - preferably sooner rather than later.

The Matanuska Greenbelt site with the neat maps has also moved (same google changes) and is now at Matanuska Greenbelt. Just click on the map links and you'll find the latest maps (Nov 2010) in 2 different sizes as well as a google map to access the trailheads. Many name changes have occurred in the last year, but the map matches the trail signs. The map will change yet again as the MSB landfill expands, and we lose some trails but gain others. More detailed maps should occur "some day."

We'd like to thank the racers for the support they've provided for the trail signage program. The bulk of the directional signs are up in the area now, and we've been working on trailhead signs this winter as well as some intermediate level signs.

Thanks for your support for the trails.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Looks great!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    IMO the people who would be interested in a 2nd lap are going to be a lot faster than some of the first timers that will sign up for the single lap race. The amount of time required of the volunteers would not be that much more. If you were worried about it, require the 2 lap entries to be previous racers with a min completion time.

mtbr member
    How about top 5+ finishers have the option to keep on going around on a second lap with no stops, Making it like a double elimination type of race??

Since there seems to be a wide range of riders in this race it will separate some of the more advanced riders from the average riders. Maybe making two first place finishers out of one race in a sense.( Those that continue on the second lap are opting out of the single lap victory for a claim to the second or overall race winner)

I also thought it would be cool to get a few riders into the parade before the race kinda to raise some awareness of whats going on.

I'm looking forward to racing this year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks, gang. I do have the active.com site set up, but won't open the actual registration until next week. The latest race info should always be on the race website.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Regarding 2-lap option. Of the 5 people that I've heard from already (the original requester and 4 of last year's racers in response to an email I sent all of last year's racers), only the original requester (blame it on Sean ) was interested in a 2nd lap. Those responders included the top men's and women's finishers. (Sean isn't near his computer regularly right now to follow up on an email I sent him.)

Some concerns I've had:
    1. volunteer time,
    2. keeping sweeps (medical support) close to tail of pack (the 2-2.5hr finishers) but also be the last ones through to let the volunteers know it's ok to leave and take the course markers with them. This may be my biggest concern since the sweeps can easily keep up with tail of pack, but if they start behind the 2-lappers starting their 2nd lap, they'll have to work a bit harder.
    3. dealing with the time between the main pack (45min to 90min) and the tail (2+hr) for awards ceremony.
    4. needing another whole set of awards for a 2-lap option or just do top man and woman? (open to suggestions)

What Sean suggested is near end of lap 1, turning off the Expressway at the Mooseberry Mesa Exit (the former H intersection, probably where the 24-hr race turns), to avoid in/out on the same trail - or having us mark the Outer Trail for the 2nd lap folks. (Latest trail names are on http://www.matanuska-greenbelt.org/trail-maps)

I suggested maybe a 20-30min early start for the 2-lappers (not all volunteers may be in place yet). You folks may have a better idea of splits, but I was using the time stamps on photos (thanks to Wildfire) where Mat Field enters the State Park for an approximate idea of field separation and how long it takes people to get there. With those approximations, I was figuring the 2-lappers would get to that "mid point" by the time the 1-lappers start. 2-lappers would be starting their 2nd lap about the time the faster 1-lappers hit the state park and likely pass the tail of the pack in the farm fields (guessing). The 2-lappers might catch the back of the main pack (1.5 hr racers) before the finish, but the passing would be on the wide trails.

We'd probably have someone at the Mooseberry Mesa Exit to enforce a cutoff for starting the 2nd lap. I'm also thinking of having a cutoff on the farm where you join the Long Lake Loop (race goes right, but another farm road goes at edge of Eagle's Nest field). People that might be more comfortable on a shorter route could take that option or be directed there.

I'd probably set the awards ceremony for about 1:40-1:45 or thereabouts after the start of the race. I think that will accommodate the main pack and the 2-lappers (with early start) which I'd expect to be finished within 1.5hr of main start, same as only having one lap. The tail of pack comes in when they get there. (I'm typically tail of pack in my races, and I don't expect anyone to delay an awards ceremony waiting for me.)

We've typically had enough food for everyone, including the volunteers coming in after all the racers, so I'm not concerned about that. I'm aware of it potentially being an issue, but it hasn't been.

That's an interesting thought about the double elimination approach.

Let me know your thoughts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Parade. Yes, I think it's a great idea to have some of the racers in the parade, if they're interested. That was the reason for starting after the parade. VMBaH is supposed to have an entry with the tool trailer and people hiking and riding, then the trailer is supposed to come to the trailhead for the race. We try to get a slot early in the parade, so people can get to the race in a reasonable time. VMBaH should have something on their website as we get closer. I generally let someone else coordinate that so that I can get the start / finish setup. (I'm not sure if this actually happened last year since the tool trailer never showed up.)

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I've got three people interested in a 2nd lap. I'd like 4 to have it since it does require a little extra logistics. Any takers? I'd like to make decision this week since Thurs is last VMBaH meeting before the race.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Just a reminder that pre-registration (online or mail) is $25 but race day registration is $30. We're encouraging online registration to reduce paper usage and to give us an idea of number of racers to expect.
    https://sites.google.com/site/vmbahr...berry-stampede
    http://www.active.com/mountain-bikin...bike-race-2011

Mooseberry Stampede race course is in very good condition except for the race start (vandals), bottom of Moose Poop Loop (let it dry another week or so and it will be great), and some of the ruts from vandals. Some of the ruts are far enough apart that bikes can fit between them with no problems, others might be eliminated by a few passes with fat tire bikes. State Parks and VMBaH crews have brushed things, removed trees, and repaired tread. (please, no more windstorms)

We might need to do a short reroute at the start to avoid the vandalism, but a lot depends on how and when the trails dry and what / if the MSB does to fix the damage. It's just under 4 wks to race day and hopefully some repairs can be made.

Post-race food this year will include Matanuska Creamery ice cream, Rhubarb Lemonade from Bushes Bunches, and probably one other item - all served in compostable bowls and cups to avoid putting anything into landfill. We're really trying to be a little greener this year.

Hope to see you all on race day, June 11.

Members who have read this thread: 0