Mooseberry Stampede Mtn Bike Race Aug 9- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Mooseberry Stampede Mtn Bike Race Aug 9

Come enjoy the wonderful trails in the beautiful Mat-Su Valley on August 9! Mooseberry Stampede Mountain Bike Race will start in Crevasse-Moraine, wind through the famous hand-crafted Mooseberry Mesa single track, then out over the farm fields of the Matanuska Experiment Farm (UAF), then through Kepler-Bradley State Recreation Area, then back via the Long Lake Connector trail. This route includes views of Matanuska Lake and goes around Long Lake (hard to see through trees). We've been working with the landowners for about 9 months to put this race on. Please, please, please respect the active research in the farm fields and stay on the designated route. It's the 4th in a series put on by the Valley Mountain Bikers and Hikers and the only summer race. (Prior races were the downhill slalom at HP, VaMoose25, and Moose Drewl.)

For those that aren't familiar with the trails out here, it's a great opportunity to ride a marked course through all the terrain - twisty single track, farm field roads, and wide ski trails - without getting lost. The course is a little under 11 mi with a bit over 1000 ft of up and down.

We are limited to 60 riders for this first time event, so get your registration in early to ensure a spot.

More information including registration forms, flyer, course map, course description, and directions to start are available at www.tinyurl.com/MooseberryStampede
    Yes, that's a map of the course route through all that terrain, including many of the other trails.

Some pictures of the course are available on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/AKTrailR...deCoursePics02

Registration forms are also available at most bike shops in Anchorage and the Valley as well as at the Mooseberry Mesa trailhead arch / kiosk.

At the same time as the bike race, the Crevasse Moraine Trail Association will be sponsoring several running races - 1k kids, 5/10k run, 5k run with dogs. So something for everyone, including the pooches in the family.

And if you don't want to race, but want to help, you can sign up to volunteer. Contacts are on the forms.

Both races support Cure Kids Cancer, a Hospital at Providence, and the local trails.

We're hoping that this race sets a model for future events in the area.

is buachail foighneach me
    will there be a two-lap option? 11 miles is a long warmup....

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

sorry, no

VMBaH is out to show the land managers responsible for the lands used that a race can be run smoothly and without problems. If all goes well maybe next year we can have both sport (one lap) and expert (two) classes.

Of course, you're welcome to smoke the course and keep riding a second (or third) lap at your pleasure!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Following on Sourdough's (your RD) comments, you could probably ride the course as warmup, then race it, then cool down on it.

Since this is the first time there's been mtn bike races on some of these lands, we do need to demonstrate that they can be done responsibly. And since we're doing it in conjunction with the CMTA running races (4 of them) (for an assortment of reasons), we opted for this route and format this year as something manageable. It's another Wildfire-designed course!!

All the local (Palmer) contacts for the land owners seemed very agreeable to having the race, but it's a new experience for most of them. They all want to work with the local community. IF things go well, there's opportunties in the future that are being discussed by an assortment of folks (not necessarily us) - from much longer races to multiple categories (like the Moose Drewl) to duathlons to starting at different trailheads in different years (parking might be an issue). But it all depends on how things go this year.

So come on out and support Valley mtn bike racing!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Plenty of room

There's plenty of spots left on the Mooseberry Stampede race roster. We will be accepting registrations the day of the race. Get out to Crev-Mo this Saturday morning and join the fun!

Go to www.tinyurl.com/MooseberryStampede for a great trail map and more information.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Aug 2007
    Hey, I would like to say the inagural mooseberry stampede was a blast!! Thanks to all of the people running the show. I will be back next year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

thanks for the shout out dmat

I'm glad you were able to skid around those clueless folks standing around that last corner! Nice riding.

FatBike Fiend

Race photos

Here's some pics from the race. Hopefully somebody will post the full results soon but the first three finishers were Darren Mattingly (sorry dmat if I botched the spelling), Tony Berberich, and Brian Burnett. Darren blazed the very hilly 11 mile course in around 48 minutes, amazing. Anyway, thanks to all the racers, volunteers, and sponsors. Sounds like everyone loved the course, nobody got lost or fed on by hungry wildlife so we're calling it a success despite the drizzly weather.

FatBike Fiend

more pics

Here's a few more pictures. A big thanks to our sponsors: RTR Bicycles, Alaska Bicycle Center, Backcountry Bicycles, Larabar, and Sportsman's Warehouse for donating the great prizes and swag. Hope I'm not forgetting anyone. And big thanks to the Mat-Su Borough, Alaska State Parks, and the University of Alaska for letting us use their land and great trails.Also big Kudos to Trailrun, Denise, and Sourdough for doing all the permitting and race prep, a huge job. This would be a great venue for future races, maybe a 24 hour race or bringing back the state championships.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Results - Mooseberry Stampede

To sponsor list in Wildfire's post, we also want to thank Denali Fitness, PeakFitness, and UPS Store - Palmer. And SBS and Home Depot for the lath for our VMBaH course marking lath.

And if the following table gets garbled, an .xls file in on www.tinyurl.com/MooseberryStampede , same place where the forms and course maps appeared. Thanks to everyone for their support of this inaugural race.

Here's the results:
    Overall/Div/Place in Div Name Time
    1 M 1 Darren Mattingley 0:48:33
    2 M 2 Tony Berberich 0:58:10
    3 M 3 Brian Burnett 1:00:45
    4 M 4 Adam Cosic 1:01:38
    5 M 5 Brian Garcia 1:05:11
    6 F 1 Becky Mason 1:06:47
    7 M 6 Darrin Mason 1:09:07
    8 F 2 Julie Berberich 1:09:26
    9 F 3 Jill Valerius 1:10:54
    10 M 7 Edward Kessler 1:15:28
    11 M 8 Kim Kittredge 1:19:00
    12 M 9 Morey Endes 1:19:36
    13 M 10 Dan Danowski 1:50:25
    14 M 11 Tore Banta 2:02:30
    15 M 12 Joe Banta 2:03:15

Note: I've edited some changes in here over the last couple days. Apologies to Kim Kittredge and Tore Banta for my errors. Let me know if anyone sees any others. (I haven't updated the other places yet where these data occur.)
    Last edited by trailrun; 08-13-2008 at 11:41 AM.

Aug 2008

Thanks

This is my first year getting into mtn. biking and so this was my first race, it was great!
    I just want to say THANKS to everyone you helped put on this race. From my perspective it all went very smoothly, the course was marked well, and as a newbie there was no confusion! Very well done, again thanks!

mtbr member

Moose Poop Loop

I missed this loop during the race and I've rode this trail like 6 times this summer.....oh well

Very well put together race and I wish we could have more of these things in the valley!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

More races

Quote Originally Posted by wspanicrunner
    Very well put together race and I wish we could have more of these things in the valley!!
    Thanks for all the nice comments. And thanks to everyone for staying on course (ok, one missed loop, but didn't involve going someplace we weren't supposed to be ) This was critical for our first impressions with land managers, especially the farm, and definitely affects whether we can have races like this again on these properties. So thanks to all the racers.

Regarding other races, yes, we've considered some and are looking for feedback for the future as to type of race, date range (June, July, late Aug) or dates to avoid (like Tour of Anchorage), formal / low key, etc. We'll definitely need to discuss this in the committee as well as the overall VMBaH club, etc. Getting volunteers is critical for a race like this. We've had a series of 4 races this year with a wide range of formality and conditions. It's been a learning experience. Winter races are easier in some respects because many of our volunteers have field jobs in the summer, and we also have our trail work days then. These are the days when we build trails like Mooseberry Mesa and have started on a new trail up Lazy Mtn. I suspect we'll be discussing races somewhat this weekend on Lazy Mtn work day, so that's a good place to come to help build new trails and discuss future races.

Some thoughts for other races include 24 hr (this was discussed even before having this race and is being discussed more), multi-class routes like our Moose Drewl (advanced, easier, touring), duathlon, etc. Even consider starting at one of the other trail heads and rotate around each year. Collaborations with other bike groups, bike stores, whatever. Perhaps institute an official "VMBaH Series" and have bragging rights for the top racer.

And other groups could put on races also.

Members who have read this thread: 0