Mooseberry Stampede 2009- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Mooseberry Stampede 2009

The Valley Mountain Bikers and Hikers once again bring you the Mooseberry Stampede race, this year as one of the Palmer Colony Days events.

Date: Sat June 13, 2009
    That gives you time to go to the parade. Be aware of traffic in the Palmer area because of the parade. This is also 2 wks before the 24-hr race so it gives you a chance to pre-ride it and still be recovered.

Start/finish is at Crevasse-Moraine trailhead and winds through Mooseberry Mesa and Moose Poop Loop, then Long Lake connector to Picnic Table Single Track (see maps on www.tinyurl.com/matanuskagreenbelt if not familiar with some names) on dirt roads between farm fields, then through Kepler-Bradley and return via LL connector.
    All riders must be at least 18 years to satisfy land owner requirements.

New this year is a sweet reroute at northeast corner of Long Lake trail that was just built as part of the IMBA training (see Wildfire's posts on training).

Cost will be $25 for either racing or touring categories (gotta cover expenses). But we're encouraging everyone to donate at least $5 toward Matanuska Greenbelt's "Buy a Post" program (see Matanuska Greenbelt post) or to buy a post themselves. This is to help start getting some signage in the area. There's space on the registration form for this. We're encouraging other races and events (any type) to also "buy a post" since we use the area. This whole "buy a post" program was initiated by users to show their support for the area.

See www.tinyurl.com/mooseberrystampede for more race details and www.tinyurl.com/matanuskagreenbelt for more details on the greenbelt area and the "Buy a Post" program.

As part of Colony Days, we're trying to celebrate not just the trails, but the agriculture and history of the area. We're trying to line up some local ag products (not easy in mid June) for post-race food. We do plan to have Matanuska Creamery ice cream.

We can always use volunteers also, particularly along the race course to be sure folks stay on the trail. And you can take pictures and cheer people on. If you have friends that can't race that day, send them our direction.

See you on June 13!!

mtbr member

Swwweeet!!!!

Just rode out there this weekend. The new little connector next to Long Lake is really nice!!! Great Job to all who worked on that thing!! The trails are really nice, only a few spots here and there that need to dry a little more....Bring on the Stampede and 24hr!!!!!!!!!!

FatBike Fiend

Glad you like it

Thanks, I love the new trail, rode it yesterday. It went from muddy to dusty in less then four days! Big thanks to everyone that helped out. We'll be having a couple more work days this summer out on those trails. I'll keep everyone posted on this forum and AKSpokes.

Or check www.vmbah.org for rides, events, and trail work days.
    Owner, Trailwerx Trails Contracting
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

FatBike Fiend

Bump

Race is this Saturday. The trails are in primo shape.
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

New map and elevation profile

Yea, even the mud holes have dried enough that there's dry areas through them.

I just posted an updated map of the course overlaid on the Matanuska Greenbelt map as well as elevation profile of the course on www.tinyurl.com/mooseberrystampede

www.tinyurl.com/matanuskagreenbelt has improved overall map of the area as well enlarged maps of the Crevasse-Moraine end and Kepler-Bradley end. And there's some sampe preliminary signs out there on the northeast corner of the Long Lake Loop - marking the ends of the reroute we did in the IMBA trail training class.

We'd sure like any feedback on the maps - either here or on the MGB discussion pages. Of course, until we get signs out there, it's like trying to read a map of a cobweb and figure out where you are. We've heard at least one person is still wandering around lost looking for Mooseberry Mesa - even with a map.

Come and race Saturday. If you don't want to race or tour, you can enjoy volunteering along the route..

Registration starts at 12:30, race at 1:30pm. Volunteers should be there by noon for a pre-race meeting.

We'll be having Matanuska Creamery ice cream for racers and volunteers. Looks like great weather for it.

See you all Saturday.
    Last edited by trailrun; 06-12-2009 at 01:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Just a reminder that this is the final race in the VMBaH cup competition and winners will be announced Saturday. Mark Gronewald and Julie Berberich lead with 23 and 26 points, respectively. Full standings are here http://valleytrails.googlegroups.com...2009.pdf?hl=en

mtbr member
    are there still spots available for this race?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yes, there are still places available. Come join us. The course is marked and ready to go.

See you at 12:30 for registration.

We have Matanuska Creamery ice cream and some other goodies for riders and volunteers.

FatBike Fiend

Great turnout

Thanks everyone for supporting the race. 26 people showed up and the skies cleared nicely. Darren Mattingly won the mens's division (again) and Janice Tower won the women's. Record times were posted and the trails were in great condition.

Thanks, Trailrun, for organizing this event and thanks to all the volunteers who helped out. Big thanks to Matanuska Creamery for the ice cream, Backcountry Bicycles for the cool water bottles, Bill Mackreth for the EMS support, and Valley Mountain Bikers and Hikers for putting it on. Hopefully Trailrun can chime in with the official placings once she gets a chance to rest up and eat something besides Clifbars.

If anyone got pictures please post up.
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

mtbr member
    Thanks Mark and all the volunteers who put on this great event! Those trails that you built are sooo much fun. I forgot I was racing while on Mooseberry Mesa--awesome switchbacks and thread-the-needle trees. I couldn't keep my eyes off Pioneer Peak (and AkDeluxe's butt) while hammering across the hay fields. Ice cream at the end was a unique and very delicious post-ride treat!

Thanks for the fun!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Glad you enjoyed the trails. Us valley folks really enjoy riding and running Mooseberry.

Special thanks to the Matanuska Greenbelt land managers (Mat-Su Borough, UAF Matanuska Experiment Farm, State Parks Kepler-Bradley Lakes State Recreation Area, and UAA Matanuska-Susitna College) for allowing mountain bike racing to occur across these lands. And thanks for everyone's support for their "Buy a Post" program so we can get some signs out there to go with the maps. Of course, if people could find their way around out there, then we might lose some potential racers who want a marked trail.

If you visit their online site (www.tinyurl.com/matanuskagreenbelt), you'll find any updated maps and larger versions of the CMT and KB ends of the MGB. (1.2 - the version handed out at race today - is the most recent and don't anticipate any revisions in the near future)

Also, thanks to the Palmer Chamber of Commerce for providing the medals. The race was part of their Colony Days celebration. We tried to have more local agricultural products for post-race food (in recognition of local ag and the agricultural history along the race route), but ice cream was the only thing available. Farmers said we were about 1 wk too early for this year's crops.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Mooseberry Stampede 2009 results

Order Firt Last Time
    1 Darren Mattingley 00:48:59
    2 Andy Pohl 00:50:29
    3 James Cardwell 00:52:23
    4 Tony Berberich 00:53:16
    5 Brian Garcia 00:58:24
    6 Joseph Hawkins 01:04:45
    7 Josh Berberich 01:06:28
    8 Ward VanSickle 01:06:44
    9 Eric Victor 01:08:51
    10 Steve Tower 01:11:15
    11 Joe Ortner 01:13:47
    12 Leonard Fancher 01:13:51
    13 Michael Hensley 01:15:04
    14 David Donahue 01:19:51

Women
    Order Firt Last Time
    1 Janice Tower 00:58:32
    2 Jill Valerius 01:03:20
    3 Julie Berberich 01:04:21
    4 Jessie Donahue 01:07:44
    5 Wendy Lindskoog 01:15:39
    6 Joyce Kelly 01:24:24
    7 Julie Martin 02:11:00

Wood chips are stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen Bee
    Thanks Mark and all the volunteers who put on this great event! Those trails that you built are sooo much fun. I forgot I was racing while on Mooseberry Mesa--awesome switchbacks and thread-the-needle trees. I couldn't keep my eyes off Pioneer Peak (and AkDeluxe's butt) while hammering across the hay fields. Ice cream at the end was a unique and very delicious post-ride treat!

Thanks for the fun!
    uhhh,I'm not sure how to respond to that. Thanks?

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

Wood chips are stupid

Very cool

I really liked the way the course would change up from ski trails to singletrack and then back to ski trails. Also, a fast finish is a good way to end a loop. Thanks for the fun event.

akdeluxe
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

Members who have read this thread: 0