Moose Drewl XC Winter Race - 2009- Mtbr.com
    Fat!Drunk!Slow!

Moose Drewl XC Winter Race - 2009

Moose Drewl XC Winter Race

Info From: http://groups.google.com/group/valle...osedrewl?hl=en

Date: Sunday, March 8, 2009

(generally Sun after 1st Saturday of March, Iditarod Restart to reduce snow machine traffic in the area)

Time:
    Start time: 3pm

Location: Moose Meadows (Upper Wasilla Creek) in Matanuska Moose Range off Wendt Road.

Cost: 2 categories:
    Race – about 16 mi, timed, potential VMBaH cup points - $20
    Touring – not timed, no VMBaH cup points, stay on race route - $10

Contacts: Race Info Volunteers

Safety: Must wear bike helmet.

Race # 3 in the VMBaH Cup Series.

This loop wanders from Wendt Road to Murphy Road along generally wide trails used by winter enthusiasts of most flavors – across streams, a few hills, frozen (hopefully) swamps, and some upland sites. Great introduction to the trails in the area.

The touring class is non-competitive ride for those that just want to ride a marked trail at their own pace. Please stay on the race course and be sure to let us know when you finish (obvious safety reasons).

Route may change as result of conditions.

***Information provided may change at any time***
    Last edited by JordyB; 02-10-2009 at 03:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Moose Drewl Correction

One revision to that is that we are only having the Race and Touring divisions this year since we only had 2 in the Beginner class last year. We just made that change in the last week or so, and hadn't had a chance to update the web pages until a couple minutes ago when I saw this. Sorry about that. Too many things going on trying to get ready for VaMoose 25. Hey, we said information subject to change.

Also, I'll be putting a slightly updated map up when we get a chance. The text accompanying the map describes the change and is the route used last year. We're trying to get a satellite image up also, like we have for VaMoose25. Winter (and summer, for that matter) course changes can happen up to the day of the race, but the basic route should be ok.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there.
    Last edited by trailrun; 02-10-2009 at 03:24 AM.

is buachail foighneach me
    hopefully i'll be back from mcgrath in time for this. these are really fun trails.

FatBike Fiend

Cool-blue Rhythm Good luck in the Ultrasport

Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    hopefully i'll be back from mcgrath in time for this. these are really fun trails.
    Hopefully you'll have some leg power left after that ride, Sean.

General note for racers and volunteers:

The Moose Drewl race course is in great shape due in large part to frequent grooming by Dallas, Powder80, and a couple other folks on the Buffalo Mine side. It's a bit on the soft-packed side though, great for fat bikes and skis but we ask if you're pre-riding the course on skinnies, please avoid leaving ruts on the groomed trails so as not to besmirch our good reputation with the other user groups. Good rule of thumb: if your tracks are deeper then the ski tracks, abort mission and find another trail.

ckg has graciously volunteered to host the post race barbecue. He has a big yard and is located on the road to the start. We could still use a few more volunteers. If you are planning to be a spectator, you could also be a race official or photographer and help us out a bunch. Please pm me for details.

Given the large turnout at the Willow race, it should be quite the event.

See everyone there.

FatBike Fiend

Race poster

Here's a poster we came up with.
    The barbecue after the race is a pot luck so try to remember to bring something edible and drinkable to contribute. Rode most of the course yesterday, it's a little soft in places from recent snow and wind but ridable.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mar 2007

volunter for moose range race

hey mark, will have the snow machine and tow behind available to do trail marking and I will not do the race so will be available to sweep or do signage pickup
    HOWIE

is buachail foighneach me
    so, does that poster mean there's gonna eventually be a knik glacier winter race??

FatBike Fiend

Thanks Howie

Definately could use your help. Dallas and I are marking the course with his machine, but sweep and pulling the course markings would be greatly apreciated.

Sean,
    That was the "Knik Glacier Invitational". We only invited three people this year. Great race, though. Maybe next year.
    Owner, Trailwerx Trails Contracting
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

Nov 2008

Race Date??

Hi Guys & Gals of VMBaH,

The race is on the 8th of March, right? I am only asking because the '2009 VMBaH Calendar' has it posted on the 1st of March, 2009... Just checkin

FatBike Fiend

March 8

[QUOTE=AKPhatTraks]Hi Guys & Gals of VMBaH,

The race is on the 8th of March, right? I am only asking because the '2009 VMBaH Calendar' has it posted on the 1st of March, 2009... Just checkin

[/QUOT

Sorry about the error, turns out the Alaska Ultra Sport is March 1 so we bumped it back a week. March 8 is also the Iditarod restart so most snowmachiners will be out on the Yentna instead of on the Moose Drewl course. March 8 it is and thanks for buying the calandar.
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Just a reminder about the Moose Drewl coming up on March 8.
    www.tinyurl.com/moosedrewl
    Registration at 2pm at Wendt Road trailhead. Race starts at 3pm. Cutoff time is at 3.5 hrs (6:30pm) - that's when we start looking. That's a little longer than the last finishers last year.

Also remember to spring forward (set clocks ahead) for Daylight Savings time. So that means those that really spend their time enjoying the course will be coming back in daylight.

Anything can happen between now and then, but those trails are usually groomed and get lots of fat bike and skiing traffic.

Saw a bunch of you at Iditarod Trail Invitational start today. Hopefully, we'll see you next Sunday also. And wish for similar weather. (Iditarod itself was very firm for first few miles that I ran it.)

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hey Dot and Mark. Howie, Dallas, and the other guy(s)? on the Buffalo Mine side have spent a lot of time and fuel grooming - does VMBaH have a 'stipend' available for them? If not, I know several of us who'd like to offset some of the cost for them. See you Sunday!

FatBike Fiend

I agree

Julia has suggested the same thing. We're going to bring it up for a vote from the board this week and decide how much to contribute. The people grooming have really made the area into a wonderful winter trail system and a lot of VMBaH members use the trails on a regular basis. Feel free to contribute individually as well, I gave Howie some bucks last year but not nearly enough considering all the time and expense it takes. Maybe we can take donations at the race start too. Both Dallas and Howie are also helping set up and take down the race course.
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Cool! Donations at the race start is a brilliant idea. And yes, they have done an amazing job on the trails. I was out riding tonight and basically everything below that short, steep hill going up towards Murphy Road is nice and firm with lots of groomed corduroy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

I agree

I agree. Yes, we usually have a donation jar at race registration (sometimes lost in the shuffle), but we can put up a sign this time that donations go to the local groomers. Maybe some other skiers and runners in the area on that time might donate also if they see a sign.

I agree they do a fantastic job out there. Thanks, Howie, Dallas, and Gene!!

FatBike Fiend

The race is on...

You've heard of the Iditarod Trail Invitational, The Raid, The Ruta de las Conquistadores. Well, they have asolutely nothing in common with The Moose Drewl. The coveted, nebulous VMBaH cup, that holy grail of Alaskan mountain biking's cognoscenti, is on the line and elite racers are girding their loins for a bid at the prize.

The race is still a go despite warm temps and new snow. I rode out there today and it was a bit slow but ridable. Should be really good if it cools down a bit by race time like it's supposed to. The fleets of industrious groomers are probably working their magic as we speak.

So anyway, to get to the point, come on out Sunday to race or tour. See you there.

PS Don't forget about daylight savings time.
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

Mar 2007

moosedrewl trail conditions

f.y.i. dallas and gene and myself have been machine packing and dragging the race course but since last saturday we probably recieved close to 2 feeet of snow and more higher up toward arkose ridge so trails are really really soft even though we got down to -7 last night little to no bonding and we have a fair amount of paddle track traffic
    i would assume standard mounatin bike tires are going to be very push worthy and times will be double last years or more

Nov 2008

Think 1-1/2 to 2' of Granulated Sugar...

I was out there this afternoon and...

Yes, I propose that times will be 2-3x's longer than last year easily. I was rolling on 100s and the trail was beating me up real badly. It is a granulated, unstable, and very unconsolidated. It felt like trying to ride through 2 feet of corn kernels

Good luck to all

If only a 250mm rim combo would fit into the stays on my bike...

FatBike Fiend

Ahh, yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by AKPhatTraks
    I was out there this afternoon and...

Yes, I propose that times will be 2-3x's longer than last year easily. I was rolling on 100s and the trail was beating me up real badly. It is a granulated, unstable, and very unconsolidated. It felt like trying to ride through 2 feet of corn kernels

Good luck to all

If only a 250mm rim combo would fit into the stays on my bike...
    And here I was going to tell everyone to bring their cyclocross bikes, but you guys blew it. I was riding there yesterday too, all the paddle track snowmachines out there didn't help at all. Hopefully today every self-respecting snowmachiner will be out on the Yentna watching the Iditarod and maybe it will have a chance to set up.

For me, I'm switching over to my 82's for this race. We'll be marking out the course this morning, may do a few course changes due to conditions. BUT THE AFTER RACE PARTY IS STILL ON! Look for the VMBaH Lath along Sun Valley Drive and the barbeque will be started at 5:30.

Heh heh heh.

mtbr member
    Darn, unable to make it! Looking forward to the post race post up.
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers

FatBike Fiend
    Back from marking the course, we dropped the beginner loop from last year because it was soft but the rest has set up a lot overnight. It won't be rock hard but most of it should be ridable. No snowmachines to be seen at all. It got hit hard yesterday by paddle tracks but it seems to be setting up.

FatBike Fiend

Thanks everyone

Thanks to the hardy group of racers that did the race yesterday. Conditions were pretty tough, lots of sugary snow, so no record times were set. We had good weather though and sounds like everyone had fun. Thirstywork schooled us all again, congratulations, Greg. The party was a blast too. Thanks ckg for hosting the party and TrailRun and Denise for being race officials. Big thanks to Powder80 and Dallas for the grooming and snowmachine support. TrailRun will probably be posting the final results soon.

Anyone get any pictures?
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Results

Thanks to all those that came out and enjoyed our course yesterday. Sounds like everyone really enjoyed themselves this year, enjoying it about 20-100% longer this year than last. (Well, it wasn't 50+ hrs to travel a normal 6-8 hr stretch.) And the post-race barbecue was great also, and lasted longer than the race itself. Thanks ckg. (I crashed when I got home, hence the delay in getting things posted.) (Sorry, I don't know everyone's online names.)

Congratulations to Greg Matyas for winning the men's division once again - once on bombproof trails and once on, ahh, softer trails.

Congratulations to Kristin Wolf for winning the women's division. Once again, the 3 women from Palmer (Kristin, Jill Valerius, and Julie Berberich) took 3 of the top 5 places.

Men
    1 Greg Matyas 1:41:00
    2 Jeff Gimbell 1:59:37
    3 Mark Gronewald 3:17:40
    4 Rick Dennis 3:31:42

Women
    1 Kristin Wolf 2:11:18
    2 Jill Valerius 2:29:45
    3 Julie Berberich 2:30:24

Tourers included (alphabetical order): Keri Dean, Jamin Hall, Jenny Hoeger, Taig Hoeger, Jeff Kellard, Steve Konieczki, Julia Plotnik, Dan McDonough, and Dave Werner.

Wildfire retains the men's lead in the VMBaH Cup race with 23 points across 3 races. Jeff Gimbel is close behind with 19 points (1st at VaMoose25 and 2nd at Moose Drewl). Julie Berberich is the lead woman with 26 points across 3 races. The final race is the Mooseberry Stampede on June 13 (during Palmer's Colony Days) when the VMBaH Cups will be awarded.

I'll have more detailed VMBaH cup standings and pictures posted to www.tinyurl.com/moosedrewl when I have a chance to catch up with myself. Give me a day or two.

Thanks to Wildfire for all the work he's done both on this race as well as our other races. Thanks to Powder80 and Dallas for grooming the course for the race and helping with setting up and taking down. I ran (or attempted to run) a little bit of the course but lots more off the course - where they hadn't groomed - before the race, so I know how much work they put into course prep. But winter biking is about the challenge of changing conditions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Moose Drewl pics

Some photos from yesterday's race:

Mar 2007

race cleanup

Mark, went out and grabbed the rest of the stakes, so 1/2 with me and dallas has the rest will transport to you later this week hopefully as snow melts we will find some of the ones that our friendly paddletrack friends ran over but i got the motherlode

thanx chris for a great after race todo

trailrun we were wondering with your gis knowledge if there were aerial photos of the swamp, we are looking at pushing some trails across that avoid the major snowmachine corridor and take advantage of the meadow areas

thanx to all

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Moose Drewl race pics

Some more photos from the race

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Moose Drewl pics

And some more photos. Mark, thanks for the tutorial.

FatBike Fiend

Paddle tracks

Gotta love 'em.
    Last edited by Wildfire; 03-10-2009 at 12:54 AM.
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

Fatback
    You guys did the best you could, so no worries there. Sometimes we get used to trails here in town that are rock hard and fast. It's hard to go back from there, but the course was a dose of reality. Always a pleasure to see all of you-I don't think there's a better group anywhere. Thanks again. By the way, if whoever sent the email from town here reads this, the paddle track snowmachines had more to do with the soft trails than anything else, not poor grooming.
    Speedway Cycles owner http://fatbackbikes.com

Nov 2008

Fully Agreed

Yeah, X2 on the paddle traffic...

I think that next time a can of pepper bear spray with steady aim and a properly placed hosing of spray-age to the facemask of such perpetrators should do the trick until the race finishes up anyways... he he

Good to see you gals and guys out there kicking a** as usual. Have a great spring everyone and happy trails,

-JG

Mar 2009
    Wow! That's a good sight.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Full results are now posted on www.tinyurl.com/moosedrewl along with pics from near the start area and a satellite image of the course. Thanks to Chris G. for both the pics and satellite image. I'll try to get some more photos from some others. VMBaH Cup standings are posted on www.tinyurl.com/vmbahraces .

Don't forget the final race in the series is the Mooseberry Stampede in the Matanuska Greenbelt (CMT-MSC-Farm-KB) on June 13 afternoon. This is same day as Palmer Colony Days, so lots of fun for everyone.

Also we have an IMBA Trail Building Training weekend coming up on May 1-3, 2009, that has a meet and greet on Friday night at VMBaH office, Saturday classroom training at the Matanuska Experiment Farm (Trunk Road) and field training at Kepler Bradley SRA. We'll post more details. Donation of $10 for Alaska Trail members, $15 for non-members, $25 for Class and 1-yr membership in Alaska Trails. We'll probably be posting more details.

powder80, Check out the satellite image on the Moose Drewl web page and see if that helps. We should be able to get an aerial photo image from same software, but that's a recent upgrade and my gps hasn't been downloading properly since the upgrade. Probably operator error. I don't have the track that Chris used to make that, but he might be able to do it. Between the two of us, we have an assortment of software, mostly different, and various sections of the trails out there. He probably has a more complete set and definitely a better command of this stuff. I'm going to try to find the files of my assorted pieces, but need to get some stuff together for our next Matanuska Greenbelt meeting on Thursday. As far as my gis skills, I'm on lesson 2 of the beginners' tutorial. Fortunately trail maps like this don't require gis skills.

Thanks for your help with the race on Sunday.

mtbr member

...it only makes you stronger

So if all the trails were always rock-hard there never would have been a need in AK for the FatBike, Pugs, Fat Back, etc and my Titianna and I never would have met...I'd still be riding my DBR with SnowCats with Fire Road XC's...besides, without fatties, it sounds like this race would have been an unridable push fest (maybe not quite like our Brothas and Sistas in the AK Range had...) instead of an endurance driven endeavour...

Suck it up Nancy! Embrace adversity ...at least you had someone to break the trail for you (if grooming is considered breaking trail)(NOT A dig on the trail support folks!) I'd bet my bottom dollar that our Bros would have choked a chicken...oops, wrong metaphor...kicked a puppy (?) for just one pass by a snogo with a 2 1/2" paddle track going over the Pass

PS really looking forward to Bill M's footage from the Pass...
    Last edited by damnitman; 03-10-2009 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Artistic License

Members who have read this thread: 0