Monday afternoon.....- Mtbr.com
    Mr.Secret

Monday afternoon.....

..........reconnoitering session somewhere in the Talkeetna Mtns......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ...think we'll ever get outta' this world alive ?...

Mr.Secret
    a few more....

Ologist

2 words...

hey bear!!!

Mr.Secret
    Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla
    hey bear!!!
    Uhh yeah, this is Ak. Doesn't matter where you're at up here, anytime you're off the asphalt you're on the bears turf.......You'll probably avoid bears if you stick to the C St. bikepath, you're more than likely gonna' get ate by a car up here than run over by a bear anyhow......

Ologist
    Thanks I didn't know there were bears up here in Alaska

Mr.Secret
    Anytime......

Ologist
    Quote Originally Posted by R.T.R.
    Uhh yeah, this is Ak. Doesn't matter where you're at up here, anytime you're off the asphalt you're on the bears turf.......You'll probably avoid bears if you stick to the C St. bikepath, you're more than likely gonna' get ate by a car up here than run over by a bear anyhow......
    Actually I would argue that even on pavement you are on bears' turf. ADFG data shows that the density of bears around the "paved" trail system is considerably higher than one might think. Our greenbelts provide ideal corridors for moving around the Anchorage bowl. You prob saw those maps in published in ADN last year. Denning data would scare you and so would the travel times from Ship Creek to Kincaid to Flattop...and these are resident bears.

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/story...-7249123c.html

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Remember this poor fella off the Coastal Trail last summer?

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/wildl...-7958666c.html

Mr.Secret
    Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla
    Actually I would argue that even on pavement you are on bears' turf. ADFG data shows that the density of bears around the "paved" trail system is considerably higher than one might think. Our greenbelts provide ideal corridors for moving around the Anchorage bowl. You prob saw those maps in published in ADN last year. Denning data would scare you and so would the travel times from Ship Creek to Kincaid to Flattop...and these are resident bears.

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/story...-7249123c.html
    Seriously they don't bother me or have prevented me from biking and fishing amongst them for years......if I worried about stuff like that I think I would be more concerned about slipping and bustin' my butt gettin' out of the shower or hitting an unleashed dog on the hillside, or something like that.....

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Yup, probably more likely to happen than getting eaten by a bear.

My wife wants to go up to the Moose Dropping festival this summer (oh gawd not again...I can only take so much of hippy chicks beating a drum and singing about the flowers and moon) but I was thinking maybe I could take the MTB and get some riding in. Any good trails close to Beautiful Downtown Talkeetna?

Jul 2006
    All this talk about bears and the links that Valhalla and daveIT posted are getting me scared now!

Mr.Secret
    Quote Originally Posted by daveIT
    Yup, probably more likely to happen than getting eaten by a bear.

My wife wants to go up to the Moose Dropping festival this summer (oh gawd not again...I can only take so much of hippy chicks beating a drum and singing about the flowers and moon) but I was thinking maybe I could take the MTB and get some riding in. Any good trails close to Beautiful Downtown Talkeetna?
    I think ' 86 was the last year the fine folks of Talkeetna put on a cross country MTB event during the MD Festival, our course consisted of all the cross country ski trails around Talkeetna.......also if you can sneak your bike across the railroad bridge going over the Talkeetna Rv., there's a double track you can ride upstream almost to Clear Creek, but LOOK OUT FOR THE BEARS ' CAUSE THEY'RE UP THERE TOO Oops, I was correct on the year but it was the Miners Day Celebration.event.....

Ologist
    Quote Originally Posted by R.T.R.
    Seriously they don't bother me or have prevented me from biking and fishing amongst them for years......if I worried about stuff like that I think I would be more concerned about slipping and bustin' my butt gettin' out of the shower or hitting an unleashed dog on the hillside, or something like that.....
    If anyone here worried about bears to the point it inhibited our behavior, we wouldn't be mountain biking in bear country.

Caveman
    I dont know about the rest of you but I yell a big "Hey Bear!" every time I go through the chester creek tunnels by the lagoon. It makes me feel better. The frisbie golf players think I'm strange but better safe than sorry. This is Alaska and all, you know "Big wild life" and shiot.

let's ride...
    Dec 2006
    Not to disrupt the fine discussion of AK wildlife, but I was curious if RTR would fill us (well, me) in on where those fine pics were taken. I only have a limited knowledge of trails in the Anchorage vicinity and would love to know the name and location of that fine looking trail...

thanks,
    zach.

Beware of Doggerel

Nice shots

Wow those trails look really good.

Funny all this talk about critters. On Sunday, Jo-Ann and I cut over to Cambell Airstrip road from the Science center, we came out by the bridge and went to head up the road to ride the hill etc. and right there in front of us was a very, very non-afraid black bear. Just calmly wandering around the parking lot, sniffing the cars and acting like a bear with NO FEAR.

So while you saw no bears in the woods, I saw one on my road ride.

Adam
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

Wonder Boy

More talk about critters......

Last Sunday evening I was riding with my son on the back side of Elmendorf and we met two wolves loping along the fire road just about where the power line comes across the Knik Arm.

Older, bigger one scented us right away and spun off into the woods, younger one couldn't figure out the scent. He lowered his head and kept coming. We decided that discretion was the better part of valor and reversed course.

Sonny just knew the wolf pack were going to run us down and have dinner. I figured because I am faster, he had the problem.

Bill
    If you want to get there, go there.

"Their civilization was just a thin veneer over the unyielding realities of life beyond the frontier, and all too soon these dreams of civilization gave way to the inevitable."
    - anthonys

Ologist
    That is pretty sweet - no other city in the world can offer that!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Another Bear Report

Yup, there's bears out there. Yesterday there was a small black bear that came out of the woods behind the Trooper's building at Tudor & Boniface and wondered around beside the building for about 15 minutes. Some folks got really excited when it looked into the ground level windows. It started to get into the trash bins before when someone spooked it and it ran back into the woods.
    --
    Curt Harris
    Anchorage, AK
    [email protected]

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Another Bear Report

Yup, there's bears out there. Yesterday there was a small black bear that came out of the woods behind the Trooper's building at Tudor & Boniface and wondered around beside the building for about 15 minutes. Some folks got really excited when it looked into the ground level windows. It started to get into the trash bins before when someone spooked it and it ran back into the woods.
    --
    Curt Harris
    Anchorage, AK
    [email protected]

Members who have read this thread: 0