Middle Fork Is Decent- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Middle Fork Is Decent

If you are not up for the ice in the Campbell Tract, check out the Middle Fork and other trails above Prospect.

A little icy in places down low, and you need studs, but up a little higher the trails are nicely packed snow.

mtbr member
    Just got home from riding this from prospect heights th. I did it with studded Dillinger 5's and my gf did with Bud/Lou unstudded. The lower half of the rim trail is packed and icy in sections, but not too bad. The upper half is great. Once across the bridge, the trail was windblown and drifty with about 2-4 inches of snow. No bike tracks at all, just a lot of footprints. Not packed. That said, it was still rideable with a firm base and mostly free of ice. These conditions continued to just before the 'knoll'. After that it was hero snow down to about the Wolverine turnoff. Fun, fast, smooth, no ice, packed, firm. Below that, things got icy on the down to the bridge and for the first 1/4 up towards Prospect. With the cold temps this week and the light after work, there's no excuse not to hit it.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Good, I was on dirt on those trails last week.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Two laps on the middle fork via Hilltop to start. Great riding on the first lap. However on the second lap things had drifted (kind of stiff) in a bit on the upper portions and the wind was certainly something to be contended with.

mtbr member
    I bet it was slippery today.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    It was not bad - a few slushy corners, a skosh of mud and slush on the cut-back to the Williwaw trail, but amazingly good overall. A little icy down low. S Rim was fine as well. Another warm day or two and it will get ugly though.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Headed up South Fork today before a mechanical turned me around at the top. Yeah, was ok, decent towards the top again, not too much mud or slush, but that will change in a matter of hours tomorrow when the sun comes out I suspect.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Bikes are good
    That trail is rad. I'm in hawaii, on Kona, and that trail beats the hell out of what I've ridden here so far. Other than the 80 degree thing, but that's too hot. I think 30 is perfect.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50 View Post
    That trail is rad. I'm in hawaii, on Kona, and that trail beats the hell out of what I've ridden here so far. Other than the 80 degree thing, but that's too hot. I think 30 is perfect.
    50 degrees today, I was riding up in a T-shirt. Not far off.

mtbr member
    Just a friendly reminder that the Middle Fork permit is for tires 3" or larger (fat bikes). I've seen some mountain bikes on the trail this winter and they are not allowed. Additionally, the permit expires April 1st. Let's keep this option open and hopefully other trails will open in the winter as well. ERNC may have winter fat tire biking on designated days next winter.
    My bike takes me places school never could...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Middle Fork is still good if you ride it early when it is still frozen. Dirt sections up high below new bridge (the one below the Williwaw junction). A fair amount of ice but okay with studs.

The last steep uphill (going up -the off-camber one) was not rideable but everything else was.
    Last edited by Stroganof; 03-23-2015 at 06:14 AM.