Meet the new guy- Mtbr.com

Jul 2004

Meet the new guy

Hey all, I just rode in from Fort Collins, CO (www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/bicyclingyank), am currently living in Eagle River and was recommended to get on here to familiarize with the bike scene.

First and foremost, I am wondering about trails. I'm sure with some searching through the forums I'll find em, but are there any particular note-worthy trails I could check out in the meantime that are within riding distance of Eagle River?

Secondly, I need a used mountain bike. As tough as the bike I rode up here on is, it's resting this winter. I've been eyeing craigslist, but not much has come up. Any suggestions? Anyone selling a bike for under $300? All I need is a simple hardtail, I dig vintage too, if that possibly came up..

And thirdly, whats the scoop on the bike culture here? I saw a critical mass poster...awesome. I raced fixies and was involved with a co-op back in Fort Collins, so I'd love to meet that sort of crowd..

Great to be here, I look forward to meeting you all and possibly riding together! You guys live in, from what I can tell, a beautiful area and I appreciate you sharing it with a southerner like myself..

Oh one more thing, is there a place I can pick up a map of the bike trails around? I plan on sticking with a bike all winter..

Cheers
    Ben

40 & Fast
    Welcome to AK.

There is a book on local trails. I saw it at Borders in the local interest section.

I remember reading around here somewhere that it is also available at the bike shop (Northern Lights Blvd).

I'm a fringe rider so I can't help you with the scene.

Maybe RIO will chime in and help get you introduced.

I've never ridden eagle dribble so I'm just not much help at all.

There are winter riders around here and I have considered a winter bike. If its a low snow year I may get one. If there's plenty of snow I'll be out abusing my snowmachine.

My most common place to ride is the hillside trails. launch out of hilltop ski area parking lot. There is a good network of trails accesible from there.

I have an old large GT LTS 4.75 -inch travel frame that I don't know what I'm going to do with, but no hardtails.
    Ride hard, Drag the broken pieces back, Share lusty tales of adventure & Tell everyone, " I almost stuck the landing".

Ologist
    Welcome!! You can check all the pawn shops in Anchorage for a used bike. There are many bike swaps come spring.

I don't think there are many riding trails in Eagle River?? There are some great trails in general but they are off limits to bikes (I would still love to poach Symphony lakes!). The book Hiredgun is referring to is called something like 49 trails in the 49th state. It is fairly easy to find. REI, most bike shops, and Tidal Wave books should have it. It is a really good start for trails around southcentral AK. Most of the riding in Anchorage is done in Kincaid and on the Hillside - Hilltop/Campbell creek area and up to Powerline Pass. There a bunch of access points through the Muni, BLM, and State Park trailheads. Best all mountain riding is high on hillside and down on the Kenai. This is a very tough time of year to ride. Everything has a layer of slime on it and as the veg continues to die back (which opens up trails that were too overgrown to ride) things get muddier until the ground freezes in October.Maybe we will get a dry spell but it usuall rains just enough to keep thing soggy. IMO it is best to seek out gravel and sandier trails - most of the forest trails get too snotty and passes like Johnson are impossible (way too muddy for the integrity of the trail).

Keppler-Bradley is a good spot out in Palmer. The Mooseberry Mesa is a great trail, but again getting slick with the leaves and precip. There are a bunch of old mining roads on the Glenn Highway as you head east. They get a lot of ATV activity but they are mostly well drained.

Hope this helps. PM me if you have more question. This is a really helpful group here and I am sure many others will chime in.

Hope this

mtbr member

Welcome

Man - your trip sounds awesome - have been threatening to do the Alcan highway on my bike since it was the Free Spirit ten-speed I bought with my paper route... sounds especially good 30 years later...

Yep - Eagle River Trails are sparse - but I have been slowly trying to tie them together - I have included a Topofusion overview - rides from my door - some asphalt, some single track, and some hike-a bike - be happy to guide you. There are more, I just don't always have the Garmin with me.

Just the right winter can make Eagle River itself a great ride... look for group rides in January? (AKDeluxe?).

See ya out there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Hello - did you get my post in your guestbook? Nice to see you've made it here!

Wood chips are stupid

ER jaunts

Quote Originally Posted by Mesotony
    Man - your trip sounds awesome - have been threatening to do the Alcan highway on my bike since it was the Free Spirit ten-speed I bought with my paper route... sounds especially good 30 years later...

Yep - Eagle River Trails are sparse - but I have been slowly trying to tie them together - I have included a Topofusion overview - rides from my door - some asphalt, some single track, and some hike-a bike - be happy to guide you. There are more, I just don't always have the Garmin with me.

Just the right winter can make Eagle River itself a great ride... look for group rides in January? (AKDeluxe?).

See ya out there.
    Wow Tony, you have some trails there alright. Yes,winter riding on Eagle River is cool. I see a overnighter in the future. Got down?

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

Caveman
    thats a cool loop out the ptarmagin valley Tony. nice one.
    Welcome Ben,
    The scene seems to be almost more alive here in the winter than the summer. a bunch of crazies I tell you..

Mar 2007
    Great map. What is the color key to the trails?

Mar 2007
    I'm always looking for new dirt trails in Eagle River. These are the "traditiional" ones:

Beach Lake Trails - (the trails at Chugiak High School) - wide with no single track, but theres a 10K loop that is fun with lots of little rolling hills. Off limits in the winter.

Mirror Lake - Sections are very boggy, but there is some "unofficial" single track that is pretty good even though it's not extensive. Iffy in the winter, the snow is ussually too soft.

Peters Creek (Bear Mountain) - Nice climb with single track at the end. Is also normally too soft in the winter.

Peters Creek Park - a very small but fun park with loops of single track to the "disk golf" baskets. This is great riding in the winter since it gets plenty of foot traffic and no "grooming" for skis. Winter single track!

South Fork Confluence Trail at the Eagle River Campground - wide (used to be a road) but goes quite a way. There is a river crossing so take sandals.

Eagle River (as in the river itself) - obviously winter riding!

Did I miss any? Any one know of more than what I listed?

Mar 2007
    I thought Ptarmigan Valley was off limits to bikes?

OlTime XR500 JumpingChamp
    Thanks Tony , I can see on that map, the butcher shop that gave me 2 lbs./$0.00 of the best moose summer sausage.That stuff was truly excellent, I can't wait to get back...I'm only a PT resident.

Sorry for the OT , thanks for the map...........

mtbr member

colors, limits

Steel - the colors are altitude - all in relation - red is highest point of climb, this very easily done with a gps mapping program named topofusion - available for free trial at topofusion.com . This software makes a great training partner and lets you have fun exploring.

As for Ptarmigan being closed to bikes- I don't know that - I've seen snow machines up there, and there is just a very short section between Baldy and Ptarmigan (aka lil peters creek) that doesn't have a road. If it is closed I certainly wouldn't encourage it.

t
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers

Members who have read this thread: 0