Matanuska Greenbelt - home of Mooseberry Mesa- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Matanuska Greenbelt - home of Mooseberry Mesa

Some of you may be aware that the four local land owners/managers have been working together since December on trying to reduce some of the confusion / safety issues in the area encompassed Crevasse-Moraine on the north and Kepler-Bradley on the south with UAA Matanuska-Susitna College and UAF Matanuska Experiment Farm (yes, that's the correct name inspite of what you may see on some maps). Rather than the mouthful of names previously used, they are calling the area the Matanuska Greenbelt. It's just the landowners trying to facilitate safe use of the area and doesn't have a legal standing. I used Mooseberry Mesa in the title so you'd have an idea where Matanuska Greenbelt is if you weren't familiar with the name already.

Two goals of the first year were (1) a map of the area and (2) some signs along a main corridor. The first maps along with some background information on the area are posted on www.tinyurl.com/matanuskagreenbelt
    More will be coming, but partly waiting for feedback and partly waiting until I have more time - summer race season is here.

In order to put signs up, we're trying to raise some front-end money for the posts that can be used as seed money to match potential grant funding to buy the signs. A "Buy a Post" program was initiated where you can buy a post for $100 and your name or organization will be attached to the post. It was spawned by a couple people saying, "shucks, I can buy a post to show I care." Details are on www.tinyurl.com/matanuskagreenbelt
    We're trying to get at least 21 posts this year to sign the Long Lake Connector trail, but will expand in the future. There's about 100 intersections out there, iirc. Mooseberry Stampede will have an option for you to donate some funds if you don't want / can't afford to buy an entire post. (see next post - ahh, that would be mtbr.com post)

You can also help by educating people that the farm fields are agricultural research or production projects. It is ok for motorized tractors to be out there; it is not ok for unauthorized motorized vehicles to be out there.

Thanks for your support.

PS: I might point out that this is an example of races acting for trail advocacy. The initial Mooseberry Stampede served as a mechanism (ok, excuse) to start working with the land managers in the area and see how we can all work together providing a win-win-win-win-win (that's 4 landowners and trail users) situation for everyone.
    Last edited by trailrun; 05-08-2009 at 10:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Thanks Trailrun

Amazing, I can hear the crickets from here!

Trailrun has done an amazing amount of work interfacing the the three different land managers acting as a voice for all of the south-central mountain biking and trail running community.

I, for one really appreciate her efforts and will be making a contribution towards the signing project.

I hope others will join me and show land managers that mountain bikers are willing to support this emerging legal trail network.

Sourdough
    Last edited by Sourdough; 05-17-2009 at 11:37 AM.

is buachail foighneach me
    i really can't swing 100, but 50 or 25 would be doable. anyone want to go in on one with me?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Sean, If you're going to do the Mooseberry Stampede, you can contribute with that. I have a place on the form where you can contribute any amount you want to a pool that would have "Mooseberry Stampede" on the post. Some people or groups who can afford it might prefer to buy a post and have their name on it.

Even if somebody's not doing Mooseberry Stampede, they can use that form to submit a donation. www.tinyurl.com/mooseberrystampede

The intent is to have a grassroots effort to start, so we welcome any donations. The more donators, the bigger message it sends.

is buachail foighneach me
    thanks! i should be around for the stampede.

Members who have read this thread: 0