Lurker 1st ak post (yellow snow bike build)- Mtbr.com
    Really I am that slow

Lurker 1st ak post (yellow snow bike build)

Just wanted in introduce myself...I'm from Denver and ride a bit on fixie's. You guys are the defacto experts on snow bikes and such... I may run into snags and jsut wanted to introduce myself before I ran into trouble

Here's the start....

Project Yellow Snow.......

A cheaper fixie snow bike with 3.7 tires....

I have...

An old humahumakuna'apua frame that I had set up as a 29er for a bit. It well fit an surly endomorph tire with some cold forging (2x4's and a Hammer) and playing around with crank and bb length

I ordered today.....

Surly pugs fork 100mm, 2x large marge rims the heavy cheaps ones (may drill them out myself to loose a bit of wight), 2x Endomorph 3.7 tires (not cheap!!!), 3x surly's tubes (i think I could use those for tubing down cherry creek. 398gram tube!)

Prob a phil rear hub, whatever I can find for the front, gonna set up a oh crap front canti brake, gearing well be prob 28x18 to start with, Maybe a 31" moto bar

wondering if I should powder coat the frame/fork green then the rims yellow?

What is this for you ask?

Well to have fun at my folks place this winter

To go play with Dave in Diggs and Jay P in Jan up in WY

And maybe the Ultra 350 the end of Feb in AK
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

Beware of Doggerel
    Cool,
    Yeah lets talk snow bikes! Iím already thinking about my set up for this year!!

My $.02 would be to set up an emergency rear brake instead of front. Brakes are of minimal use in the winter. Lots of folks, myself included, run only a single rear brake for winter riding. Iím sure there are lots of reasons for this, from weight savings to fashion (ie all the cool winter bikers remove the front brake). For me I tend to find that even thinking about using the front brake makes my front tire break loose, its really of no use to me. On the other hand rear wheel skids work really well. So you might just need a rear brake to help you into a skid.

Also, are you aware how heavy these things can be? Iíve never ridden a fixe so I donít know if heavy wheels and bikes make it harder to ride/stop/control, (it seems like this would matter but maybe not) but when you are all loaded up for an overnight you should expect the set up to weight from 40-60lbs. So plan accordingly.

I use the heavy surly rims and tubes, I figure the place to save weight in the winter is on your gear not your bike. Its a winter bike, itíll be heavy. So I wouldnít worry about the weight too much, unless your into that sort of thing then knock yourself out.

The biggest part of your project is going to be making the tires fit. But Iím sure its doable. Have you seen Pat Irwinís ďPorkyĒ, as posted on this forum? He did a similair project where he manipulated the stays of a pink surly 1x1 to fit endos on large marges. it seems to have worked well. Do a search, or maybe Pat will post up some pics.

Good luck and keep us posted
    Adam
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

no brakes?

Some of the best, funnest, riding is in the hills and, for that, you will want 2 brakes, preferably disc. If you just torment yourself by interminable river rides minimalist brakes are fine. If you ride on any interesting terrain at all you will want good brakes - or at least to provide you riding partner with good video gear so you can relive the spectacular crashing that is likely to follow . . . .

Really I am that slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    Cool,
    Yeah lets talk snow bikes! Iím already thinking about my set up for this year!!

My $.02 would be to set up an emergency rear brake instead of front. Brakes are of minimal use in the winter. Lots of folks, myself included, run only a single rear brake for winter riding. Iím sure there are lots of reasons for this, from weight savings to fashion (ie all the cool winter bikers remove the front brake). For me I tend to find that even thinking about using the front brake makes my front tire break loose, its really of no use to me. On the other hand rear wheel skids work really well. So you might just need a rear brake to help you into a skid.

Also, are you aware how heavy these things can be? Iíve never ridden a fixe so I donít know if heavy wheels and bikes make it harder to ride/stop/control, (it seems like this would matter but maybe not) but when you are all loaded up for an overnight you should expect the set up to weight from 40-60lbs. So plan accordingly.

I use the heavy surly rims and tubes, I figure the place to save weight in the winter is on your gear not your bike. Its a winter bike, itíll be heavy. So I wouldnít worry about the weight too much, unless your into that sort of thing then knock yourself out.

The biggest part of your project is going to be making the tires fit. But Iím sure its doable. Have you seen Pat Irwinís ďPorkyĒ, as posted on this forum? He did a similair project where he manipulated the stays of a pink surly 1x1 to fit endos on large marges. it seems to have worked well. Do a search, or maybe Pat will post up some pics.

Good luck and keep us posted
    Adam
    I've seen Pat's part of what gave me the idea of using what I had laying around =) the heavy wheels are a bit on a concern but not too big..... I've done plenty of riding with 40-60 lbs of gear so i'm semi used to it (at least without all the white stuff)

Thanks guys and i'll post some pics when there is something to show =)
    Read my BLOG!

Caveman
    One thing that I'm sure you've already thought about is the miles and miles of quality bike pushing you will do..
    With a fixie those pedals are going to be turning and likely hitting your legs alot or digging into the snow more than you'd want.
    Just something to think about.

Really I am that slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait
    One thing that I'm sure you've already thought about is the miles and miles of quality bike pushing you will do..
    With a fixie those pedals are going to be turning and likely hitting your legs alot or digging into the snow more than you'd want.
    Just something to think about.
    I figgure I walked a good 80 miles out 837 I got done on the gdr this year so kinna used to it....

Another reson to go with a wide handlebar
    Read my BLOG!

Caveman
    nice, then you're dialed.. maybe just make one side of your handlebars longer with lawnmower grips. It would be cool looking

Beware of Doggerel
    Quote Originally Posted by Stroganof
    Some of the best, funnest, riding is in the hills and, for that, you will want 2 brakes, preferably disc. If you just torment yourself by interminable river rides minimalist brakes are fine. If you ride on any interesting terrain at all you will want good brakes - or at least to provide you riding partner with good video gear so you can relive the spectacular crashing that is likely to follow . . . .
    So what'er ya sayin' there stroh boy? That I'm only half braked. Ha ha.

Although I have to admit that when I ride the trails here in town I ride my dual braked bike to zipp around.

Adam
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

Really I am that slow

a picture

have some of the parts waiting for my wheel build... just got the phil hubs
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Read my BLOG!

Really I am that slow

Almost done

Just the front wheel left...
    Read my BLOG!

mtbr member
    Dave
    Did you have to modify the frame much to fit the Endos?

mtbr member

Nice

Man i thought you'd have to weld to fit one of those in there! How exactly did you manipulate the rear stays, and how wide were they to begin with?

mtbr member
    Just looking at this frame, what ive read is that a 2.0 barely fits in there heres a pic of the rear stay..Man you must have really widdened that thing by about 2 more inches....Did it end up straight?

Really I am that slow
    Used a vise and some 2x4's to make the tire fit ie bent the s**** outa the rear triangle. Its pretty stright though

I'll have some more pictures later got it all togather today who woulda thunk I can spin this beast up to 12-13mph with 22x16 gearing
    Read my BLOG!

Really I am that slow

Finished

Its a hoot to ride!
    Read my BLOG!

mtbr member

any close ups?

Im seriously gonna hunt me down one of those frames and try that..Ive got the large marges as a spare wheelset for my sheep in the winter time, but i can only fit a 2.7 timberwolf in the rear...I need endos in the rear.....Im afraid im gonna destroy the frame though.(kona not sheep).Oh well its worth a shot..Way to go-----you made it work...

Really I am that slow

Too flexi fllyer

well green mt. was interesting tonight. my driveside crank arm started to hit the chainstay.... and then started to drop my chain alot...... well looks like the frame is way out of alinement gonna see if I can get it dailed again and reinforce it some how?

Gonna sleep on it and see if I have some more ideas...
    Read my BLOG!

Members who have read this thread: 0