Lost Lake Loop- Mtbr.com

Thread: Lost Lake Loop

Bikes are good

Lost Lake Loop

Alright, Enduser posted this ride a month ago and I thought I'd follow up since we had a great day on it yesterday. After parking on the Lost Lake side of Lost Lake, we (AlHansen and I) rode out to the highway and north about 7 miles. I'm sure we could have hitchhiked with one of the several trucks driving by, but didn't. At mile 11.5 (though it says 12) we rode ski trails this way and that way to find the single track Enduser talked about. Keep heading toward the mountains away from the road on these ski trails. There is a powerline, and you are there. Right away there are boardwalks so you'll know. The trail is a little soft as it is brand new. Twists, turns, roller coaster sections, and a few steep climbs keep you occupied on the way to Primrose. Follow signage to Long Lake on the way (keeping left at the intersections I believe) and bam you are there. No idea how many miles this section was, but we were through in about an hour of hard riding. Then of course the Lost Lake trail is epic, finishing this nice loop. Thanks Enduser for your write up. If you haven't done this ride yet, go. Oh, they've cleared the Lost Lake side of its infamous jungle.
    Last edited by Elfbkr50; 08-09-2009 at 11:33 AM.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50
    Alright, Enduser posted this ride a month ago...
    I've searched all over for the thread you refer to and cannot find it anywhere on these forums or on AKSpokes. Can you link to it? Any chance of making a basic map of the route you describe? I found the Seward ski club's website and they have a trail map. I assume you are talking about the "Iditarod Trail North trail head"?

Last edited by Oosik; 08-29-2009 at 11:31 PM.

Bikes are good

Check this

http://akspokes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1434

The map is right. I don't see the trail on there. That is the parking lot though, and those are the trails you ride to get to the trail. Head away from the road as much as possible, up a bit of a hill, and look for the powerline. the ski trails take you there, and will dump you right into the iditarod trail. You'll know it is the right trail when you see the wood boardwalks. Keep left at the intersections too. Follow signage to Long Lake.

Good luck.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Ah, very cool. Thanks for the beta. It will be a long time before I get a chance to check it out, but I have squirreled the info away for future use.

Jesus is coming Look busy
    May 2009
    Any body been out on the "lost lake" loop? or just Primrose to Lost lake trail head recently? Just curious

Members who have read this thread: 0