Lost Lake- Mtbr.com

Thread: Lost Lake

May 2004

Lost Lake

I was thinking of taking a detour on my way back from Seward tomorrow to ride Lost Lake. I've never ridden the trail before. Given all of the late snow this year does anyone who has done this trail before think it might be worth riding yet? Or should I just stick around Seward one more day and try and catch some more halibut?

Diaskeuast
    Quote Originally Posted by AKBiker
    I was thinking of taking a detour on my way back from Seward tomorrow to ride Lost Lake. I've never ridden the trail before. Given all of the late snow this year does anyone who has done this trail before think it might be worth riding yet? Or should I just stick around Seward one more day and try and catch some more halibut?
    I'd be very surprised if it's clear at this point, but maybe someone who has been in the area can provide better info.
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

Bikes are good

Recon

You are the man. I bet lower on both ends is good. Take a rip up until it gets soggy and report back. Pleeeease. I thought your thread was going to say "Lost lake was sweet this weekend."

Alaska Turner Mafia

Keep fishin'.....

Even during normal years in the past we've learned not to attempt it until July. If you do give it a shot though, please give us a conditions update.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by EndoRando; 06-04-2008 at 12:15 PM.
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails
    I agree, and being in Seward last weekend and Exit Glacier road still had two feet of snow on it and seeing the snowline up the valley the trail is on it will be a while.

Lost Lake I usually hike a couple times early season, usally by this time or memorial day you can make the treeline before hitting any snow. As of two weeks ago I heard you didn't even get to the division between the summer and winter trails before hitting snow by that time.

I am hiking it 6/15 with a group and will have a detailed report on its condition then, but I expect snow before I get to the top for sure, probably by the cabin with more snow on the Primrose side.

Even sometimes in Early July the lake is still frozen.

Check out my South Central Trail Conditions report though if you decide you want to take your bike along and catch a trail on the way home.

Christopher

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    It would not be worth the effort to try and ride it at all on the south end. There will be snow almost imediately once you get on the trail. You are better off riding the Iditarod trail. it starts at mile 3 on Nash Rd. Or the north end of Lost Lake will have more riding as it gets less snow and more sun over there.

Bikes are good

Latest???

Lost lake, anyone? Snow free? Mucky?

May 2004
    I had some friends hike in and camp Lost Lake last weekend, they said there was still about 4 miles of solid snow cover and the lake is still snow/iced over It is going to be a while before this trail is good to go.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I just rode Lost Lake from the south, Seward side, today. The trail is getting better and is snow free from this side up to the Clemins cabin turn, about 3.5 miles in. After that it is almost solid snow along the flatter section to the far end of the lake, or about 5 miles in from the Primrose end. It will be at least 2 more weeks until it can be riden all the way snow free. In the 7 years I have lived and riden in Seward this trail has always been free of snow by July 1st. THis IS CRazy.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckymtbr
    I just rode Lost Lake from the south, Seward side, today. The trail is getting better and is snow free from this side up to the Clemins cabin turn, about 3.5 miles in. After that it is almost solid snow along the flatter section to the far end of the lake, or about 5 miles in from the Primrose end. It will be at least 2 more weeks until it can be riden all the way snow free. In the 7 years I have lived and riden in Seward this trail has always been free of snow by July 1st. THis IS CRazy.
    Hey ! Its that global warming they been talking about !

Members who have read this thread: 0