Lost Dog On Speedway Trail- Mtbr.com

Nov 2007

Lost Dog On Speedway Trail

I was riding with my dog, Nicola, on Saturday night around 7:15 PM. I took off on the Speedway trail from the Tour of Anchorage Trail (Service Side by the bench) and she was on my back wheel. Just a few minutes later - about 1/2 mile in - she was gone.

She is a medium sized, black dog - about 40 pounds, a lab-mix. She was wearing a blue and red harness, but no collar or tags.

She is remarkably good under voice command and usually follows very closely. She may have been spooked.

If you see her, she can be very skittish around men with hats, but is friendly and likes other dogs.

My family would really appreciate you all looking for her if you are riding any of the trails in that area or at the trailheads. She is a special part of our family and we really miss her.

Alaska Turner Mafia
    I was in that area this afternoon. I rode up Homestead and thru Speedway, up Moose Meadows, up Black Bear, up Brown Bear, and then across Campbell Airstrip Rd to ride around the bog. I never saw a loose dog, so hopefully someone's picked her up already.

I've been riding this loop almost daily, and will continue to do so, but with a keener eye scanning the periphery watching for Nicola. Maybe it's a good thing she likes other dogs, cuz I saw a ton of people out enjoying the day walking or running with theirs.

Rando
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Keep an eye on the trailheads...

Keep an eye on the sign boards at the various trailheads (Abbott Loop, Stuckagain Heights, Hillside, Hilltop) to see if there are any postings for a "found" dog. I see various signs up from time to time of others who have either lost or found animals out there, so it might be another place to check. I was also going to suggest Craigslist, but I saw that you have already taken care of that angle.

I will be up there Monday evening, so will keep my eyes open. Good luck finding her.

Nov 2007

Smile Nicola Has Been Found!!

Thanks so much for looking everyone! We found Nicola back at the Abbott Loop T.H. around 8:00 pm today.

Our family is very happy to have her back.

Thank you again!

Feb 2008
    congrats on finding her!

Oct 2005
    was she tied up or was she just hanging out? curious. so she was out on her own for 2 nights!? dogs amaze me. glad you found her. good dog.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Great to hear

Great to hear you found her. I must have just missed seeing her since I passed through that trailhead coming back from skiing at about 10 til 8 o'clock.

Just a thought... Since I know a lot of people remove the collar of dogs when they put harnesses on to avoid catching on them, I have seen people write some form of contact information on the harness itself, usually on a main strap with permanent marker. Helps also if you lose the harness separate from the dog as well I guess.

Nov 2007

She was hiding out!

Here's what happened.

First of all, our 5 year old took her collar off earlier in the day and we didn't realize it (even though she had been told repeatedly not to do so). The harness was what identified her.

Someone called Animal Control early Monday morning and had spotted her at Elmore and Lore road. Animal Control went out but didn't find her. True to government - they didn't make the connection to us until 3:00 pm! As soon as they called, we went out and scoured the neighborhoods.

I called my neighbor because her kids go to school over there and her parents live off of Lore road. So, she was out looking also and spotted her coming onto Elmore out of the Abbott Loop parking lot. They followed her (she was running at 25 mph) until she ran into the woods at the Lore road trail.

My husband (who is actually the one supposedly writing this) was already skiing out the trail and went the length of the Lore road trail as we came in from the Elmore road side. No luck.

We skied and biked most of the trail system, calling and calling until about 7:00 pm with someone waiting in the parking lot in case she showed up.

I know this is getting long - We decided to go home and get my Suburban - which has a blown head gasket as of last Tuesday - and drive it the short distance to the parking lot and leave it overnight with the door open because she identifies that car.

We got back to the parking lot and set up the Suburban then went and walked out the trail just to the bottom of hill with both of us calling repeatedly for about 15 minutes. As we were almost back to the car, she came running from behind the picnic shelter!

As far as we know nobody ever spotted her on the trail during the 48 hours she was out there. She is very timid around people she doesn't know and must have just been hiding out. I wish she could tell us her story!

Also, after we found her, dh decided to tell me that a lady said she saw a wolf on the trail just after he lost her. We think it may have scared her.

Okay, that's my long story. I would recommend ID and even microchipping, but I don't think it would have helped in this case because no one could catch her. Although, if she had had her collar on we would have been able to hear her tags jingling.

Thanks again - it was just awesome to know so many people care!

Members who have read this thread: 0