Looking for unique rack- Mtbr.com
    cdouble
    Jul 2007

Looking for unique rack

I am trying to get my buddies psyched up for some winter riding and I remember seeing a picture on the web a while back that would help "break the ice" (pun intended). I think the picture was from the Bike Iditarod, it was of a couple of bikes in a bike rack - the kind of rack you would see in front of the local public library - except instead of traditional a metal rack it was actually the rib cage from a caribou or moose. I have tried to Google it but no luck. It was such an excellent photo I am hoping that one of you will remember it and maybe point me toward it. Anyone?

is buachail foighneach me
    wasn't even looking for it....

http://home.gci.net/~winterbiker/photo6.html

cdouble
    Jul 2007
    Bingo that's it! Practical, innovative, a little irreverent, and totally green/eco-friendly. Thanks.
    cdouble

http://mo7s.blogspot.com

"It never gets easier, you just go faster"
    Greg LeMond

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Those photos were taken a few years ago (6-8?) on the Little Chena River about 10 miles outside of Fairbanks. That's Tim Mowery in the one photo, he's a reporter for the Fairbanks Daily News Miner and I took him out for a piece on winter biking. The photo of the single bike and rack was posted on the "Icebike" website for a short time but someone complained and it was removed. Don't really understand what the problem was, I didn't kill the boo. That area is riddled with good winter trails and ties into the Two Rivers mushing trails and the Love Road trails where I do much of my riding. t

cdouble
    Jul 2007
    Very very cool, thanks for the color. I live in PA so we don't get nearly the winter you guys do, but I enjoy biking too much to give it up for half the year. And now that we've got it figured out (suck it up for the first 10 minutes while you warm up, how to dress, lighting, etc) we've had some of our best riding experiences in the winter. In particular, after a slight thaw followed by a good freeze, you get a nice strong crust on top of the snow and the riding is unbelievable - as if someone paved the entire planet with undulating white asphalt. So I am a four season guy and really looking forward to the coming winter...

So while I have you on the line, what's the local Alaskan perspective on Sarah? She's good to look at but what's the local opinion on her in high office (finger on the button and all that)? Just curious...

Thanks for the info and hope you have a great season of riding as well!
    cdouble

http://mo7s.blogspot.com

"It never gets easier, you just go faster"
    Greg LeMond

Members who have read this thread: 0