Looking to move to AK- Mtbr.com
    all about the ride down
    Apr 2008

Looking to move to AK

Howdy All, I'm looking to move to AK. My primary reason is dog mushing. I mtn.bike in summer and road bike a little. I'm also a backcountry splitboarder.

Any thoughts as to where I should look to move to?

Chris
    The More People I Meet the More I Prefer Dogs!

k-2
    mtbr member
    If running dogs is the main reason, I'd say Willow in South Central, or Two Rivers in the Fairbanks area.

They both have great trail systems with lots of mushers. Two Rivers is a bit more extreme because of the interior weather, but if you are preparing for long distance races, you'd better get used to -40 anyway. Willow probably has the most consistant snow fall and you can still get your -40 fix!

But remember, a Fat Bike requires no care and feeding at checkpoints, or booties!

all about the ride down
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the reply. -40 is already a part of my life. I have friends in Two Rivers. There is better access to backcountry splitboarding in Willow? How is the summer mtn.bikng?
    Thanks again, Chris

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Willow has great access to Hatcher's Pass, one of the better back-country, ski-snowboarding areas.

all about the ride down
    Apr 2008
    Thanks. How is the mtn.biking around Willow?

mtbr member
    hope you like atv trails

I've been working out in willow over the last couple of months on a cabin and I dont thing there is much in the way of mt. biking trails that I'm aware of... the terrain is swampy with all of the lakes scattered around in spots which is no problem in the winter when your running dogs since everything is frozen, but summer not so good.

There is a separate paved bike/ pedestrian path along the highway that goes all the way into Wasilla which would be good for road biking I believe.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    If your primary reason to move to AK is to mush dogs then I'd think Two Rivers would make the most sense. There are awesome trails out there in the winter. Lots of summer trails too, although depending on where you're coming from, the summer riding may be a step down and the summer season is sure gonna be shorter.

Road riding around FBKS is probably a bit better than most of the state...just because there are actually a few raods to choose from and there is generally not as much traffic here as in ANC or the MatSu Valley.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    2 Rivers is a good place if you want to mush. The winter trail system is extensive and makes for great winter biking too. Once out of town (like Willow) there's not going to be much summer biking, not enough people to make trails. Lots of 4-wheeler trails but they are often muddy. Single track around Fairbanks is rare but there is a little and the 4 wheeler trails are good riding. Best summer mtn biking I've found around Fairbanks is on ridgetrails. There is a new book called "Outside in the Interior" by Kyle Joly that is pretty informational. Not biking oriented but there is some in there. Mostly hiking with some river trips. t

all about the ride down
    Apr 2008
    Thanks, We have all but bagged the idea of AK. We are going to find a place that we can afford with similar access to what we enjoy now.

Members who have read this thread: 0