local DH biking- Mtbr.com

Thread: local DH biking

Apr 2009

local DH biking

I use to be pretty big into DH biking(just the local mountains) and some trials riding. Got out of it a few years ago to focus on work and snowmachine projects. I'm looking to get back into and pick up a nice DH bike. When I was biking before it was usually on Baldy in ER or up Highland valley. Are there any good DH trails in the ER/Anchorage area? I would love to get into it again if there are trails to make it worth the cost.

Thanks

Bikes are good

Unfortunately

For the downhiller that wants to ride a downhill big bike, Anchorage and Eagle River don't have the types of trails or features that necessitates one. Because they are so heavy, and pedal so poorly, getting to the places that you'd want to ride down would take a lot of the fun out of it. My advice would be to buy a big travel trailbike that pedals well,
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

Jun 2008
    Alyeska, is gone start opening lifts this season, so lets hope there will be some trails!!! i choose a freeride bike over a downhill, for the already stated reason that its not AS heavy as a DH bike, but gets the job done.
    I'm personaly looking at buildin my own little trail some where in Anch area!!
    Good to have another member on the DH side!!

Jul 2008

Fact Check

Please see the thread lower on this page "Alyeska Downhill?" as it will have the information regarding events at Alyeska this summer. thegerman is mistaken on what is happening there.

On a side note, I am selling my DH bike if you are interested.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Flattop trailhead down to campbell tract is the best shuttle ride I know of. Very little pedal for a lot of down and has a few different route choices.

Members who have read this thread: 0