A little saddle reading....- Mtbr.com
    Ologist

A little saddle reading....

Effect of Bicycle Saddle Designs on the
    Pressure to the Perineum of the Bicyclist

BRIAN D. LOWE1, STEVEN M. SCHRADER2, and MICHAEL J. BREITENSTEIN2
    1Human Factors and Ergonomics Research Section; and 2Reproductive Health Assessment Section, National Institute for
    Occupational Safety and Health, Cincinnati, OH
    ABSTRACT
    LOWE, B. D., S. M. SCHRADER, and M. J. BREITENSTEIN. Effect of Bicycle Saddle Designs on the Pressure to the Perineum of
    the Bicyclist. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc., Vol. 36, No. 6, pp. 1055–1062, 2004. Purpose: Increasing awareness of an association between
    bicycling and male sexual dysfunction has led to the appearance of a variety of bicycle saddles that share the design objective of
    reducing pressure in the groin of the cyclist by removal of the narrow protruding nose of the saddle. This study compared three of these
    saddle designs to a traditional sport/road racing saddle with a narrow protruding nose in terms of pressure in the region of the perineum
    (groin) of the cyclist. Methods: Saddle, pedal, and handlebar contact pressure were measured from 33 bicycle police patrol officers
    pedaling a stationary bicycle at a controlled cadence and workload. Pressure was characterized over the saddle as a whole and over
    a region of the saddle assumed to represent pressure on the cyclist’s perineum located anteriorly to the ischial tuberosities. Results:
    The traditional sport/racing saddle was associated with more than two times the pressure in the perineal region than the saddles without
    a protruding nose (P  0.01). There were no significant differences in perineal pressure among the nontraditional saddles. Measures of load
    on the pedals and handlebars indicated no differences between the traditional saddle and those without protruding noses. This finding is
    contradictory to those studies suggesting a shift toward greater weight distribution on the handlebars and pedals when using a saddle without
    a nose. Conclusions: The recommendation of a saddle without a narrow protruding nose appears to be justified to reduce pressure to the
    perineum of the bicyclist. Key Words: BICYCLING, ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION, IMPOTENCE, GROIN PRESSURE

Ologist
    ...and it is not that I am having a problem. I just thought that I would share

mtbr member

they have pills for that

Take your meds!
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers

Ologist
    The blues ones or the green ones?

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    I get about 47 e-mails a day for those types of drugs so let me know if you need a supplier!

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Why does the saddle mount on top of the seat post?
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

mtbr member
    Oh crap, here we go!

Members who have read this thread: 0