Let the trails dry out- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Let the trails dry out

Just saw a post on Facebook of some serious ruts in the STA trails at Kincaid. Just because the snow is gone in most areas doesn't mean the trails are ready to ride. Give them time to dry out. I know it is hard to wait, but it is for the best. Remember, usually it isn't until around June 1 that we can really get on the trails in for the summer. Due to the low amount of snow and nice spring, we seem to be well ahead of that schedule. No need to rush it and tear up what so many spent so much money and time building and everyone enjoys.

mtbr member
    Thank you and I agree completely. Been telling my friends to wait.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Last week I was told the bluff trail was in great shape (it is) so I went out and investigated. The trails that are exposed to the sun and on a ridge/bluff are rather incredible. The mountain biking trails still need time to dry out. I saw some tire tracks though. I did check out the condition of bowling alley and ran into soupy mud rather quickly and turned around. There were tire tracks on all of it though . With that said the bluff trail is great. I ran it Friday and Saturday and it was a treat.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Agreed, everyone is itching to get out there with the beautiful weather and all, but it's just not ready. I took a walk to check out Hillside STA conditions today --- still snow and it's pretty soupy near the entrance, so it's not going to be ready for a little while. There's a lot of tracks there. Maybe we should put something up on the bulletin board on some bright colored paper to let people know to give it another few weeks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    If anyone knows the crew that does shuttle riding from Glen Alps to Hilltop please ask them to wait until things dry up in the front country.

Every year they blast down through the muck leaving everyone else to "enjoy" their ruts all summer long.

Bikes are good
    The bottom of Drone lane is usually the last part to dry up. I wonder if up just a bit higher they are all dry. I agree though, it isn't worth thrashing trails when they'll be good in another week or 2. Dome trail is shaping up. Anyone have a Mcleod I can use to scrape the bumps off once it dries up? They are $85, and I have bike th
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyjacksons View Post
    There's a lot of tracks there. Maybe we should put something up on the bulletin board on some bright colored paper to let people know to give it another few weeks.
    No need to wait for someone else to do it. If you have paper and pencil, go for it. "We" includes all of us users, not just the big groups/organizations/government bodies.