Let me introduce an idea.......- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Idea! Let me introduce an idea.......

Packing some trails w/skis.....Those w/skis could meet at N.Bivaouc and head into the woods and make some NEW ZERO IMPACT singletrack winter trails. We could make them where we want.Skis would pack down a trail very well I think.
    Let's here what ya think.
    Dave
    Idaho Transplant (closet roadie)

Jun 2003

If I had ski's, I would get in for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by AkDave
    Packing some trails w/skis.....Those w/skis could meet at N.Bivaouc and head into the woods and make some NEW ZERO IMPACT singletrack winter trails. We could make them where we want.Skis would pack down a trail very well I think.
    Dave

I am game to help in any way that I can, schedule permitting.

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

Good idea.. but..

Dave
    Good idea, but what is to prevent them from becoming permanent trails? As once we start using them and they are created, others will start using them. With freeze/thaws they will eventually end up impacting the vegetation below and leave a pseudo trail in the spring wouldn't they? I also think that if we are going to do that perhaps we should wait until we have a little bit more of a uniform snow base and the ground is more frozen. Remember last week we stil had puddles in parking lots.

We also do not want to irritate another user group, they might think we are attempting to make permanent trails just like how they made them (by first cutting them out in the winter).

Just playing a bit of a devils advocate, otherwise it sounds like a reasonable idea.

Christopher

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

Winter + Snow + MTB = Low/Zero Impact

AKDave is right… there is no better low impact riding than riding in the winter so go out there and make some new winter trails and enjoy your user rights!!

There is already a substantial number of “unofficial winter only” ski trails already in existence in the FNBP which are covertly flagged and when packed enough are great to ride on. I’ll be skiing these trails quite soon and hopefully be riding them soon after that. These winter only trails (and new ones for that matter) are not readily passable in the summer months by foot or wheel so don’t be concerned about creating new permanent trails. The weather preceding our first major snow storm and the snow we’ve receive so far will be great for creating no impact winter-only ski/bike trails. Just be sensible about it... don't cut down trees or remove limbs or any other obstacle that impedes travel... find a way around.

When I can’t ride in the FNB park because the snow is too deep I get the back-country touring skis out and make new trails…. I and countless numbers of pin-heads have been doing this for years and years. This is the one of the joys of winter here in Anchorage… you can access the otherwise inaccessible when the winter comes with low/zero impact to the environment. If these trails do indeed become traveled and packed enough they will support MTBikes no problem… I’ve done it and will continue to do when and if snow conditions permit.

EndUser
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich

mtbr member

Good job! I realy doubt any perm impact from skiing in some trails.

Quote Originally Posted by crsouser
    Good idea, but what is to prevent them from becoming permanent trails? As once we start using them and they are created, others will start using them. With freeze/thaws they will eventually end up impacting the vegetation below and leave a pseudo trail in the spring wouldn't they? I also think that if we are going to do that perhaps we should wait until we have a little bit more of a uniform snow base and the ground is more frozen. Remember last week we stil had puddles in parking lots.

We also do not want to irritate another user group, they might think we are attempting to make permanent trails just like how they made them (by first cutting them out in the winter).

Just playing a bit of a devils advocate, otherwise it sounds like a reasonable idea.

Christopher
    I've spent years riding there and have seen many ski tracks heading into untracked areas. After the snow melts they are not to be found. I totally comfortable in doing this.
    Dave
    Idaho Transplant (closet roadie)

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

Ok, just was not sure

I've spent years riding there and have seen many ski tracks heading into untracked areas. After the snow melts they are not to be found. I totally comfortable in doing this.
    Dave
    Ok, I was just was not sure about the long term impacts, as I am really new to winter mountain biking. I do realize though that several of the sled dog trails that are winter only trails through the park are hardly visible in the summer, as well as many run right through a lake or swamp or something too.

Christopher

Jun 2003

THey build ice "Roads" on the slope.

As long as there is a decent base, it will be fine. We just need to stop riding the trails prior to a problem sufacing.