Large Marge surgery- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Large Marge surgery

I'm going to be building up a Fatbike and was inspired by DirtDad's conversion of his Large Marge rims into single wall rims. Last night I did the same, starting with one offset rim and one non-offset rim. I used my table saw and made multiple cuts circumferentially with a carbide blade. I still need to do a bunch of sanding to clean it all up. This cuts about 1/2 pound per rim.
    Attached Images Attached Images

FatBike Fiend

Nice job

Never thought to use a table saw, good idea. But why stop there? Have you considered getting out a big ol' hole saw and drilling away? Probably could save another 1/4 lb per wheel. You'd need a rim liner though to seal off the holes. I'm guessing it would still be strong enough for XC riding. If it doesn't work, forget I suggested that.
    Owner, Trailwerx Trails Contracting
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildfire
    But why stop there? Have you considered getting out a big ol' hole saw and drilling away? Probably could save another 1/4 lb per wheel. You'd need a rim liner though to seal off the holes. I'm guessing it would still be strong enough for XC riding.

I've seen the drilled out version done with excellent results. The entire inner well was removed, then the spoke-bed wall was drilled. It was a ton of work according to the originator, so much so he didn't want to do it for anyone else even for payment. You can see from the pic that he does have a rim liner for sealing the holes, and I think it's been plenty strong for his light weight, for snow riding applications anyway. It was a secret last fall, but it's been circulating enough now that the cat's out of the bag!

Not sure just how much weight it saved, but I picked up the wheel in the pic below, and man I was shocked how light it was. Of course having a Zipp hub and no rotor helps, but it's dang light.

Rando
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

FatBike Fiend
    Man, I hate it when people steal my ideas before I even think of them
    Quote Originally Posted by EndoRando
    I've seen the drilled out version done with excellent results. It was a secret last fall, but it's been circulating enough now that the cat's out of the bag!

Rando
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

Mr.Secret
    Sno-Cat SL's with the 4.0 rubber works great for me, a full lb. lighter per wheel than the stock Large Marge XC's. If the snow conditions dictate a wider rim I'm just gonna' hop on my 183 Sugar Daddy's and go RIP some vertical lines compliments of good ol' Mr. Gravity
    Last edited by R.T.R.; 08-20-2007 at 02:37 AM.
    ...think we'll ever get outta' this world alive ?...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Hole-ier than thou...

I calculate that 62 holes (not drilling at the joint) 3/4" in diameter will drop another 2-1/4 ounces off the rim. This doesn't seem worth it to me for my non-racing use. Wouldn't the holes tend to pick up more snow or mud and make the rim heavier in some conditions?

FatBike Fiend

Not too bad

Quote Originally Posted by NHpug
    I calculate that 62 holes (not drilling at the joint) 3/4" in diameter will drop another 2-1/4 ounces off the rim. This doesn't seem worth it to me for my non-racing use. Wouldn't the holes tend to pick up more snow or mud and make the rim heavier in some conditions?
    If you use a slick rim liner like the heat shrink wrapping used for boat storage, it usually sheds snow well. You've gotta use a rim liner anyway so it won't add too much weight back on. Just a thought, may not be worth the hassle.

Hey RTR,

"Sno-Cat SL's with the 4.0 rubber works great for me, a full lb. lighter per wheel than the stock Large Marge XC's. If the snow conditions dictate a wider rim I'm just gonna' hop on my 183 Sugar Daddy's and go RIP some vertical lines compliments of good ol' Mr. Gravity"

Why not use some skinny skis, they're a lot lighter? Ha, gotcha
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

Mr.Secret
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildfire
    If you use a slick rim liner like the heat shrink wrapping used for boat storage, it usually sheds snow well. You've gotta use a rim liner anyway so it won't add too much weight back on. Just a thought, may not be worth the hassle.

Hey RTR,

"Sno-Cat SL's with the 4.0 rubber works great for me, a full lb. lighter per wheel than the stock Large Marge XC's. If the snow conditions dictate a wider rim I'm just gonna' hop on my 183 Sugar Daddy's and go RIP some vertical lines compliments of good ol' Mr. Gravity"

Why not use some skinny skis, they're a lot lighter? Ha, gotcha
    Not if ya drill the crap outta' the fatties But I wouldn't do that because they're already very light. Might make for some nice face shots though, kind'a like the old Kazama tele boards
    ...think we'll ever get outta' this world alive ?...

Caveman
    Why not just get fat skis and drill holes in them? theny they'd be lighter and still fat??
    I think I'll try it with my skate skis first and see how it goes..

Dec 2006
    was always wondering about the fat rims didn't find many comparisons started to look at them after I saw some pugs pass me and my Nokians... bearbait theres a picture of a bike with a ski for steering at uaabikeclub.org it looked like the ski kept getting stuck though... i think he mentions it was his snow bike last year but I never saw that bike anywhere

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Update

Greg at Speedway warned me that I'd have a bear of a time mounting the Endos on the rims, because the tire bead gets stuck in the inner portion of the rim that used to be covered. Yup, he's right! I tried soaping the tires and all that got me was a few rounds of blowing the tire off the rim.

What I ended up doing was to fill the cavity of the rim with lightweight 2" wide strips of camping pad foam. I used 1/2 inch because that's what i had - 3/8 inch would maybe be even better. It was a wrassle getting the tires on the rim, but when putting the air to it the beads seated perfectly. The foam bits added back 2 ounces, cutting the savings over the XC rim back to 75 grams. Probably not worth it!

Wood chips are stupid
    good thread.
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

Members who have read this thread: 0