Land for Freeride Park?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Idea! Land for Freeride Park?

Are there any visionary freeriders out there? I was contacted about putting a mtn biking park on some contours in downtown Anchorage. The site doesn't look suitable for singletrack, but maybe there's potential for some constructed stuff.

This is a time-sensitive proposition. Email me at [email protected] if you want more information.

QB

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen Bee
    Are there any visionary freeriders out there? I was contacted about putting a mtn biking park on some contours in downtown Anchorage. The site doesn't look suitable for singletrack, but maybe there's potential for some constructed stuff.

This is a time-sensitive proposition. Email me at [email protected] if you want more information.

QB
    I never saw this when you originally posted it. Please tell me your inbox was filled with ideas/offers and something is in the works?

Hope so...

MC

Wood chips are stupid

Big race comming up.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    I never saw this when you originally posted it. Please tell me your inbox was filled with ideas/offers and something is in the works?

Hope so...

MC
    yea...right. Around here,if the powers that be were giving away land and begging people to carve trails in it, six people would show up on ground breaking day, In Anchorage, comfort zones and personal time are priority.

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

mtbr member
    I think it has more to do with the fact that there isn't a big freeride group in Anchorage, and there are not so many freeriders in Anchorage that use this forum. I'd like to think that is has something to do with me scaring them all off mtbr with threatening pms.

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger
    to do with me scaring them all off mtbr with threatening pms.
    You sure it was your threatening pm's. I heard otherwise

let's ride...
    Dec 2006
    Actually, I have been in contact with the Queen Bee herself. I know of at least three others who are interested in the pursuing this possibility.

The land in question is held by a local non-profit and is basically an overgrown, urban canyon located in mountain view. The property is just unfeasible to develop into anything commercial, so there is some speculation that it may be possible to develop it for biking.
    I'm sorry to be so vague, but I've been jammed up with studying for finals and I haven't actually made contact with any of the other interested parties.

I have however seen the lot. I think it will probably suffer from some serious drainage issues and it's got some pretty ridiculously steep banks. But, it's got to be an acre+. And it's in town.

I think that the folks who would benefit most from this just don't spend time on this forum. I don't know all the details, but I've seen a few hostile threads towards the kids that build dirtjumps on public easements or in the backs of public parks. These are the individuals who would build a terrain park and benefit from it the most. It's an ideal opportunity to build a series of dirt jumps, a pump track, ladders, bridges, etc... As well as serve to not upset the powers that be by keeping the kids from going haywire in places they shouldn't.

I've been so busy with school that I've faded from my two wheeled friends and it was just happenstance that I learned about this--I hadn't read this forum in months. I am hoping to rally the troops and organize something over the coming winter break. I will greatfully accept any thoughts or advice on how to pursue this further. I believe in the end, for this to be a feasible project, it's going to involve a lot of orginization, a fair amount of advocation, and a whole lot of consternation... I suspect there will be "committee meetings", "board meetings", "municipal meetings", etc, to try my patience. Any constructive input on dealing with such formalities would be greatly appreciated.

Bikes are good

I will help

We could have the sweetest trail system in the country. We should start making it happen.

Let me know what I can do.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    basically an overgrown, urban canyon located in mountain view
    Hmm, where exactly is that? I haven't fully explored mountain view but I didn't think there was any green space over that way that wasn't Elmendorf property.

let's ride...
    Dec 2006
    Please don't think i'm doing this to be rude. I would prefer not to say where the parcel is specifically until I've talked to my contact at the non-profit. If more details are to be made public, then I would prefer that Queen Bee announce them as she "knows" the interested parties.

I will say it isn't what you would typically call green space.

But, while we're talking about it...

How do folks feel about guerilla jump/trail building on abandoned/undeveloped urban lots. It's hard to argue with a straight face that it's actually okay to build in Chugach or even Kincaid.. and there is room to maneuver about the arguements for jump building in parks like Russian Jack... But, what about straight up dumping grounds. You know the lots that I'm talking about. They're everywhere. And yes, they are private property. But, if the the strongest argument I hear concerns environmental damage, then what about these sites? There's a gem right in the middle of eagle river. it's mainly a garbage dump, but it has the near perfect topography for a bike park. where? that one's easy. Eagle river loop rd. one block up from the Holiday station--sort of behind/next to the american legion... If folks clean the site up--compared to its original condition, what is the real harm ...?

ThisseatmakemyA$$lookfat?

Good job!

WOW, I haven't been here in awhile... Is this still going on???
    Build on an old garbage dump??? Not sure about that. Why do we/us have to build on on an old garbage dumps? I guess that might work. If I remember right, were Merrill Field is (or part) use to be Anchoages city dump a very loooooong time ago... They closed it down and moved it out to High Land road...
    Last edited by brian_404; 03-11-2008 at 09:02 AM.
    aka: akfreeridemtber; brian_404
    Just get out and, RIDE!!!
    www.facebook.com/shagwn007

Jun 2008

... and if we just ...

DANG, i just moved up here, so i hope something happened to this, would like to know here this is at.
    I go to UAA and actually have run into quite a lot of freeride/downhiller most of them are out of state and just have no idea where to really go or who to talk to so. i think we devenetly have potential to get some freeride/downhill trails going and some parks
    preferably around anchorage, riding out the alyeska is a mission aspecially with gas prices and being a college student.
    In addition i want to bike, not drive a car!!

Members who have read this thread: 0