Kuskokwim 150- Mtbr.com

Thread: Kuskokwim 150

Sep 2005

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Kuskokwim 150

In an effort to promote winter sport in the Yukon Kuskokwim Delta...the Alaskan Outdoor Center is working towards developing a venue for a 150 mile bicycle race down the Kuskokwim River.

We're teaming up with the worlds premier mid-distance dog race, the K300, and planning to work within the bounds of their long-standing event...we're envisioning a 'first season' trial / tour of the course...looking to see how things would fit with the overall weekend festival.

Goals this year would be to: 1) introduce the race concept and demonstrate equipment and racer capabilities; 2) develop a schedule for the event as well as course and safety scenarios; 3) have fun!

- Demo / Race would be scheduled around Jan 18 K300 start date
    - Course is Aniak to Bethel on the K300 trail, Kuskokwim River...150 miles
    - Support and prizes for this first year effort will be limited to serious contributors and those
    willing to assist with the development of this venue

Learn more about the K300 race festival here:
    http://k300.org/

Email me for more info at:
    [email protected]

------

COMMENTS???

Martin

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

longer

Martin,
    How about a longer option....like start in Bethel and do the entire dog trail? It's an expensive trip for us to get up to Aniak and do only 150 miles.
    We could make it a fun ride to introduce folks to the lower Kusko.
    Just my thoughts.
    Pat

Sep 2005

More Comments - Kuskokwim Race!

Pat....I hear ya'

There are Anchorage to Aniak direct flights...Anchorage to Bethel...about the same costs!

Working on some 'ingratis' and reduced rates for transport of racers and equipment. Should be very reasonable...maybe some prize $$$.

----------------------------

Either way you get to see the same trail...the K300 loops back...150 miles up 150 miles back...depending on the course they do go off river a bit and divert for 50 miles or so...either way you get to see some of the middle and some of the lower Kuskokwim!

300 miler would be good too...let me talk with them about it...the idea on the 150 is we avoid dog team front runners...or maybe you'll catch them anyway!

-----------------------------

I have six Fatbikes and potential riders here at the aoc (yeah, only one original Mark..;-)) and if we could get another 6 or 10 riders to come out...it would be a good showing for the inaugural year.

Thanks Pat...looking forward to seeing you.

OTHERS?

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by patirwin
    Martin,
    How about a longer option....like start in Bethel and do the entire dog trail? It's an expensive trip for us to get up to Aniak and do only 150 miles.
    We could make it a fun ride to introduce folks to the lower Kusko.
    Just my thoughts.
    Pat

This place needs an enema
    Interesting for sure. Not too keen on the all-river (or even mostly river) route. Any options for touristas to go 'sploring on off-river sledneck tracks?

Thanks for the heads up.

MC

Sep 2005

Wink Challenges....

MC

The upland portion of the trail goes on and off the river, many portages, in some hilly country. The lower section is pure Delta but it too is on and off the river.

Reality is...it passes, in part, through two physiographic provinces - both with their own characteristics incuding influences of mountain and maritime climates. That's the beauty of the race...the variability in trail conditions and weather...which can make this the hardest region in Alaska to travel. The speeds and ease at which racers 'think' they can traverse the route are often underestimated...on the other hand, the fastest dog-race times in the world have been put in here.

There's a reason that all of the top mushers come here prior to the Iditarod...to test their own metal and to put their teams to the test as well...the race has left some of the most seasoned veteran mushers in tears and any dog that finishes is seen as completing a serious 'rite of passage'.

Here's a quote from the K300 webpage:
    As the start of the 1980 inaugural race approached, the weather took a turn for the worse. Low temperatures and blizzard conditions forced the wind-chill factor to 100 degrees below zero for the first 36 hours of the race. That was followed by a freakish thaw that brought freezing rain and slushy trails for the second half. The storm and close finish of the first three mushers -Rick Swenson, Susan Butcher and Joe Redington- set the tone for future races.

If you haven't traveled this region extensively...it would be a grave mistake to underestimate it and you're missing a great challenge...this isn't Interior-type travel nor is it Norton Sound maritime!

You know you're invited...with your experience....maybe you can put the trail to the test!

;-)

-------------

There are plenty of trails to sidetrack a rider...no problem - hundreds of miles...the only issue would be which direction you want to travel...N S E W??

Cheers...

ML

Hey BTW...you didn't tell me if you would lace-up those Rohloffs for me??

Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Interesting for sure. Not too keen on the all-river (or even mostly river) route. Any options for touristas to go 'sploring on off-river sledneck tracks?

Thanks for the heads up.

MC

Quote Originally Posted by qayaq_alaska
    The upland portion of the trail goes on and off the river, many portages, in some hilly country. The lower section is pure Delta but it too is on and off the river.
    Good to hear. I make a habit of not underestimating any course/region/terrain, I've just had enough of river travel if I can help it. Too many trips up the Yentna, I guess, plus overland trails are (usually) much more interesting.

it would be a grave mistake to underestimate it and you're missing a great challenge...
    Not underestimating anything, just don't wanna grind up/down rivers all day and night.

this isn't Interior-type travel nor is it Norton Sound maritime!
    So, what is it? Not coastal and not interior, but affected by both, right?

You know you're invited...with your experience....maybe you can put the trail to the test!
    It's intriguing for sure.

There are plenty of trails to sidetrack a rider...no problem - hundreds of miles...the only issue would be which direction you want to travel...N S E W??
    Not too particular, just interested in seeing some new country. A big loop would sure be nice, or a looong point to point would be even better. Ideas?

Hey BTW...you didn't tell me if you would lace-up those Rohloffs for me??
    I responded on 9/22/07 at 12:10am. Musta been burnin' the midnight oil. Again...

If you can't find the email I'll resend it.

Best,

MC

Sep 2005

off topic....

I missed the email..or my email reply didn't make it to you...probably my bad as my head was stuck in the tube of a wave on O'ahu at the time!

resend please: [email protected]

Quyana MC

ML

Sep 2005

... and if we just ... K150 Update....

As you know we've been trying to get a Kuskokwim Bike Race going...marrying it with the great activities associated with the K300 dog races has been the aspiration.

The community wasn't quite ready to embrace a full-on race effort this season for various reasons...so we had a group of fatbikes and riders set to ride the trail during the dog races to demonstrate and 'show-off' the bikes and what they can do.

Watching the weather and trail conditions closely...I had a gut feeling about the feasibility for this first showing and decided to lay-back and not go out...proved to be THE right move.

Watched some of the best dog teams, dog drivers and trail people in the world battle some unbelievably horrid conditions...even for the Kusko - this was a year to remember...or forget. Wind, rain, wetsnow, overflow - oh my!

Listen in to the dog race report here:
    http://aprn.org/2008/01/21/seavy-wins-sloppy-kusko-300/

Mitch Seavy (Iditarod winner) sums it all up at the end of the piece..."this is one you either want to forget about real quick...or just tell everyone you see about it!"

Start redesigning those biking over-boots and waders now...maybe next year!

Martin

mtbr member
    Maybe try the Bogus Creek trail for a total of 150, but with a Bethel Start and Finish...easier logistics, bigger spectator draw, any number of plusses...though it would necessitate backtracking the return trail. Or maybe Bethel to Nunap to Pilot Station to Mountain Village? Mostly overland on the woodcutters trail. Not quite as much support as alongside the K300, but...

Anyone follow the K300 race? MAAAAAANNNNnnnnnn am I glad I couldn't make the trip. Sounded brutal at best and very dangerous at worst.

MC

Members who have read this thread: 0