Kincaid Trail Maintenance- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Kincaid Trail Maintenance

Went for a ride on Middle Earth yesterday 3/15/15 and there is a giant tree down on the trail about a quarter mile in from the Raspberry trailhead. Hopefully a few folks can head out there with a couple chainsaws and clear it out....its a pretty big tree.

Bikes are good
    Yeah. Where the hell are the magical chainsaw fairies? Get moving!

That's funny.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    By chainsaw fairies are you referring to the Singletrack Advocates who've received thousands of dollars in grants and have purchased equipment to build and maintain the Singletrack Advocates (STA) Trails at Kincaid Park?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Why complain about it on here?

[email protected]

They're also on facebook.

Bikes are good
    I guess the sarcasm flew over your head. My apologies. Volunteer yourself. Like STA does and clear the tree yourself.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    It's hard to read sarcasm over a computer screen. I know there are STA staff on these forums and other riders who want to get out on these awesome trails, so I thought I would let everyone know. I'll leave it up to the people who have permits to build and maintain these trails through the Municipality take care of it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I imagine that there is a lot of work to do on the trails out there. The volunteers will get to it when the time is right.

Elitest thrill junkie
    There are usually work parties in the spring.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Hey guys, as you probable know STA is a volunteer run organization. We do maintenance as needed when time is available. All of us have full time jobs. The best way to make us aware of a particular situation is through our Facebook page. I myself do not get on MTBR every day. I haven't ridden Middle Earth in a while because of how icy it's been, I've been riding mostly on the hillside. Thanks for the heads up on the tree. I'll get on it. -Ryan
    litespeed's break

mtbr member
    Thanks Ryan for all that you do. Volunteers are few and far between. The world sure could use more of them. If you ride the STA trails, I highly encourage you to become a member and/or make a donation, and show up for the trail maintenance events. Without them, we wouldn't have such wonderful trails to ride.
    My bike takes me places school never could...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Any info on what the current Dirt-to-Ice Ratio at Kincaid is right now?
    -Ride it like you stole it

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DucRR View Post
    Any info on what the current Dirt-to-Ice Ratio at Kincaid is right now?
    I rode most of the south side of the road (Change of Pace, Sandbox, Bowling Alley, etc) this morning and I'd say its about 70/30 ice to dirt. If you have good studs and hit it early in the morning while the dirt is still frozen, the trails are in fantastic shape.

mtbr member
    The tree has been removed.
    litespeed's break

mtbr member
    Kincaid Trail Maintenance-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ak greeff View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	363.6 KB 
ID:	974073
    Thank you!

Also, nice saw. 361?

Bikes are good
    Rad. Nice rip. New trail feature boards?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ak greeff View Post

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	363.6 KB 
ID:	974073
    Nice work
    Thanks for all the work you and the STA volunteers do to make and keep up the great trails we have here.

mtbr member
    There are always ideas rolling around in my head. It was a nice tree, I wanted to have options for the future. I'll wait to the ground thaws and see if anything comes to fruition.
    litespeed's break

Bikes are good
    I'll come help out. My skill set is lifting things and putting them in other spots. I can drill and hammer nails too, and test ride stuff.

mtbr member
    Hey guys, there's a big root that was exposed during last night's rain. Why didn't you take care of it last month when I was thinking a big rain might expose a root? Where has all the forethought gone? Doesn't being a volunteer mean you check my ever message 20-7 for any indication of impending trail doom? DAMMIT, CLEAR THAT SH17!

i picked up a stick from my yard that blew out of my tree during last month's ice storm. i'd like to think my obligation to nature for the year is fulfilled.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRider86 View Post
    It's hard to read sarcasm over a computer screen. I know there are STA staff on these forums and other riders who want to get out on these awesome trails, so I thought I would let everyone know. I'll leave it up to the people who have permits to build and maintain these trails through the Municipality take care of it.
    Why don't you dig out your saw and go cut the damn tree off. That's what most of us do when we want to ride and there's trees down. I've cut probably 20 trees of the hillside trails and 5 or 6 off the Kincaid trails. Do for yourself and your community.

mtbr member
    Big tree down on C$ between Lee's Train and Good Greef. Use QFB as a bypass
    As of 0930 5/18/2015

Disclaimer: I don't own a chainsaw

mtbr member
    The tree has been removed. Thanks for the heads up.
    litespeed's break

mtbr member
    May 2011

Large Birch Down on South Side of Bolling Alley In Curve Before Step-Up

Another large birch is down across the trail on Bolling Alley just uphill from the step-up at the low point between Sugar Lumps and Mighty Bike. Write off the step-up on even days until the tree has been removed. Moose with a brand new calf was also in the vicinity yesterday.Kincaid Trail Maintenance-big-birch-down.jpg

Elitest thrill junkie
    Big birch down on bowling alley on the south side just before the step-up double when heading clockwise. I don't own a chainsaw

Kincaid Trail Maintenance-img_0315.jpgKincaid Trail Maintenance-img_0316.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Big birch down on bowling alley on the south side just before the step-up double when heading clockwise. I don't own a chainsaw

Name:	IMG_0315.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	288.3 KB 
ID:	990860Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0316.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	292.2 KB 
ID:	990861
    You come up on it quick the other way, bout hit it yestersay. Look like there was some clean up down to get a path around it.

Is there a scheduled clean up day before the first race on the 2nd? Need volunteers?
    Why R+
    Why S7
    Why Big Iron
    Cervelo R2
    Scott Foil
    Epic HT SS
    Santa Cruz Chameleon SS
    YETI SB100
    Orbea Rallon M10

Elitest thrill junkie
    The paths came about real fast, the tree couldn't have been down a day and there were already paths on both sides. Going CW you come up on it way fast, I barely stopped (because I was building speed for the step-up). CCW is not so bad, as you aren't moving nearly as fast on the uphill.

I'm having problems with Good Grief, the traffic seems to be getting kind of crazy. I'd really like to see if there's a way to hack in another trail from C$ to Icebox, and then alternate directions just like Bowling Alley. I've had a few trail conflicts, scared some people grinding to a halt in front of them, stopped for climbers with plenty of space but made the guy in back of me run into me (xt disc brakes are great btw) and have a bad endo, and so on. Either alternate directions just based on the trail that's there (and use C$ on even or odd days) or a new trail to parallel Good Grief. My 2c.

mtbr member
    At the risk of sounding repetitive, the tree before the step up has been removed.
    litespeed's break

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    No offense, but it was there last night, hardly think this post is outdated or needs a reference to being repeditive, as it certainly was not removed as of the time of the last 2 posts, or I am thinking of another tree matching this one's description?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by numbnuts View Post
    No offense, but it was there last night, hardly think this post is outdated or needs a reference to being repeditive, as it certainly was not removed as of the time of the last 2 posts, or I am thinking of another tree matching this one's description?
    I just got done cutting out the tree on Bolling Alley. The one in the right hand turn just before the step up. If there is another, let me know.
    litespeed's break

Elitest thrill junkie
    Thanks for all that work!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks ak greeff and mini greeff!

I'm sure we'll see a lot of you guys/gals thursday night for the work party? 630pm meet at the raspberry parking lot! Bring bug dope and water.

Hanging Chad first and then Evolution. So meet us there if you're running late.

I'll be riding afterwards if anybody wants to join. Quick loop on the southside of the park.

mtbr member
    40 some people showed up to our trail work party tonight! Thanks everyone. Next work party is Saturday, June 6th. National Trails Day.
    litespeed's break

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The broken birch tree in the last bermed corner at the bottom of the big downhill at the end of Middle Earth (if riding Raspberry lot --> Coastal Trail) has been cleared.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tom11919 View Post
    The broken birch tree in the last bermed corner at the bottom of the big downhill at the end of Middle Earth (if riding Raspberry lot --> Coastal Trail) has been cleared.
    Thanks Tom
    litespeed's break