Kincaid sta multi use trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Kincaid sta multi use trails

Ok, people the new STA trails are multi use. Ski them, snow shoe them, ride your snow bike on them, whatever. Please DO NOT ride on the groomed ski trails. We have had the support of the NSAA to build the new single track and we greatly appreciate it. We do not want to step on their toes and start pissing people off. Plan your rides to enter and exit the new multi use trail at approved locations only ( jodphur parking, the chalet, raspberry rd at the park entrance perhaps). Cross the ski trails between the post only, look both ways and please yield to skiers. Don't congregate on the ski trail at crossings. Please don't ride the new trails to some point, decide your done, and then b line back on the ski trails. This could and most likely will damage the good relationship that we have been working so hard on with NSAA. Signage is being produced as we speak, and should be going up towards the end of the month. We are breaking new ground here with the two or more user groups sharing the space in Kincaide Park during the winter months. We want this to work so that in the future other projects around town may be met with enthusiasm and support from all user groups. Most of all, lets be courteous to our fellow park users. Thanx for your cooperation and support.
    Last edited by ak greeff; 11-09-2011 at 09:25 PM.
    litespeed's break

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Thanks!

Thanks for the clarifications, I was wondering if I was poaching those trails today or not! I hope that the signs you talked about will let all the users know where they are allowed to go. I was cornered by two skiers who told me I was illegaly riding their trails. I explain that to my knowledge the STA trails were considered multi-use but they would have nothing of it. They said they were going to go out to the shalet and find someone to report me to. Guess you can't make everyone happy. By the way the trails are somewhat difficult to ride right now. I was able to ride about 60% of the time but the trails need more packing down to be fun. The trail condition did improve the farther east you went on the trail. Thats it, thats all.

mtbr member
    here's a link to the map. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-SuxBumVds-...25283%2529.jpg

rule of thumb: if it's groomed, don't ride it. the exceptions are, the multi use corridor along the Raspberry Rd., the multi use corridor that intersect the rd. at Kincaid and Jodphur streets, and of course the new single track. Basically all the blue trails are nordic ski trails that are SKI ONLY.

here's another useful link to area trails. Maps & Links
    litespeed's break

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Great reminder!

It will definitely take some time to educate all user goups. As ak greeff said, this is a fairly new concept around here with the trails so intertmixed. The skiers out there who aren't bikers are most likely seeing the new STA trails for the first time right now, so they are used to how it was. Try to have some patience.

I know I am looking forward to riding the new STA trails, then grabbing the skis and hitting the ski trails for a nice double workout. Gonna make for a fun winter!

No, that's not phonetic
    Great work, folks. Maybe I'll get to see the goods on a trip up in December.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brown note View Post
    Thanks for the clarifications, I was wondering if I was poaching those trails today or not! I hope that the signs you talked about will let all the users know where they are allowed to go. I was cornered by two skiers who told me I was illegaly riding their trails. I explain that to my knowledge the STA trails were considered multi-use but they would have nothing of it. They said they were going to go out to the shalet and find someone to report me to. Guess you can't make everyone happy. By the way the trails are somewhat difficult to ride right now. I was able to ride about 60% of the time but the trails need more packing down to be fun. The trail condition did improve the farther east you went on the trail. Thats it, thats all.
    Do you know whether you were on a ski trail (~40 feet wide) or on the new singletrack (~4 feet wide)?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

never touched the skiiers domain!

I was only on the STA trails and never rode down the double track ski trails. The only time I set foot on the ski trails was where the STA trails cross the ski trails. When I crossed the ski trails I got off my bike so that I did not leave a trench across the trail. I think the people who got mad at me were simply used to the way things used to be out there. It wasn't a major encounter but it did drive home the need for some signage to explain the rules of the trails out at Kincade. I hope said signs are already in the works.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brown note View Post
    I was only on the STA trails and never rode down the double track ski trails. The only time I set foot on the ski trails was where the STA trails cross the ski trails. When I crossed the ski trails I got off my bike so that I did not leave a trench across the trail. I think the people who got mad at me were simply used to the way things used to be out there. It wasn't a major encounter but it did drive home the need for some signage to explain the rules of the trails out at Kincade. I hope said signs are already in the works.
    Thanks for the clarification. You were entirely fine out there. You can ride across the ski trail--in fact I think that the ski club would prefer that everyone ride rather than walk. I think that foot prints are more egregious than tire tracks to Nordic skiers. It will take some time for folks to get used to the new use patterns.

The signs will ask people on the STA Trails to yield to cross traffic at the trail intersections. There is also a sign informing people that the ski trails are ski only in winter. From the skiers' perspective, there will be a sign that says, "Caution--Trail Crossing" so that they won't be surprised when someone pops out of the woods. And of course there will be trail name signs which will take more time to produce because they are being custom made by a volunteer. The other signs should be up by the end of the month.

Happy riding!

mtbr member
    just snowshoed the inner loop via the jodphur parking lot, come on folks lets get these trail ridden in!
    litespeed's break

mtbr member
    May 2006
    A little off topic, but I just spent most of the day on the hillside. On snowshoes pulling my 4 year old in a sled, and on my bike. How many fatbikes did I see during that period? Only two. All this snow, and now a divide in where people ride is really kicking our asses. I bailed on my ride early simply because I grew tired of getting off and walking/pushing every few feet. I actually thought about buying some new skate skis and hanging up the bike when I got passed by a dog walker.
    c

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    A fair number of multi-use trails are groomed but this doesn't mean they are off limits to other user groups and the NSAA knows this.
    Many multi-use trails are groomed and are also part of a major trails corridor system linking different parts of Anchorage which is a federal requirement that without there would be no trail money. I could be wrong, but the new single track in Kincaid is multi-use because of this and are open to all user groups, skiers included.
    The multi-use trail into Kincaid, while groomed is one such trail. It was extended to Kincaid but it's essential purpose is to connect the surrounding neighborhoods to the vast system of multi-use trails within the bowl.
    Be courteous and mindful of other users.

Fatback
    Quote Originally Posted by ANYRIDE View Post
    A little off topic, but I just spent most of the day on the hillside. On snowshoes pulling my 4 year old in a sled, and on my bike. How many fatbikes did I see during that period? Only two. All this snow, and now a divide in where people ride is really kicking our asses. I bailed on my ride early simply because I grew tired of getting off and walking/pushing every few feet. I actually thought about buying some new skate skis and hanging up the bike when I got passed by a dog walker.
    c
    Pull yourself together Man! Nah, just kidding. I felt the same way on today's ride on the Hillside, as well as last weeks break in of the STA Trails at Kincaid (though truth be told, I was late to the party and got in their second lap). I'm amazed by how many riders I'm not seeing out there. Is everybody waiting for someone else to pack the trails? There are more bikes than ever these days, and I saw more foot traffic today than bike.
    Today we rode Blue Dot, Ballfields, Speedway, Moose's Meadow, Rover's, then over to Moose Ridge and around. The riding is great, and it's up to us to pack everything in.
    Anybody ride the Hillside STA trails?
    Speedway Cycles owner http://fatbackbikes.com

mtbr member
    just got done with a ride in kincaid. started at jodphur, rode north on the west side trails, then crossed over to the inner loop. i rode counter clockwise to four corners where it was not happening at all. turned around rode back out by the bug and looped back around to the jodhpur parking via the kitchen sink. everything but the inner loop portion rode well. come on folks let's get er done.
    litespeed's break

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by thirstywork View Post
    Pull yourself together Man! Nah, just kidding. I felt the same way on today's ride on the Hillside, as well as last weeks break in of the STA Trails at Kincaid (though truth be told, I was late to the party and got in their second lap). I'm amazed by how many riders I'm not seeing out there. Is everybody waiting for someone else to pack the trails? There are more bikes than ever these days, and I saw more foot traffic today than bike.
    Today we rode Blue Dot, Ballfields, Speedway, Moose's Meadow, Rover's, then over to Moose Ridge and around. The riding is great, and it's up to us to pack everything in.
    Ok, I pulled up my pink panties and went back out. Much better this evening on the hillside. Thanks Thirsty and crew for your efforts.
    c

mtbr member
    Snowshoed on the Hillside STA trails today--6" of dry fluff. Not yet ready for prime time. Need those runners, skiers and more snowshoers to love these trails to death!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    We did the same ride tuesday and thursday, only saw 2 other sets of tracks on both rides combined. I wonder what people are waiting for? Maybe they bought the bike and don't know where to ride? Maybe they encountered the pushfest and decided they don't like winter biking?

There were literally 50 cars at Tincan Sunday, maybe people are making turns instead of pedaling..

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I was out there this afternoon. Started at Jodphur. Kitchen Sink all the way around to the intersection with the loop trail near the "old bug" was pretty good. The trail west out of the Jodphur parking lot was bomber around to where it meets the same loop mentioned above. That loop was marginal for me on the east end and got worse as I went west and then better again on the return. I rode it counterclockwise and no one had ridden the cut off around toilet bowl, which I had to take going that way. The trail heading off towards L Train from the Jodphur access did not look to good either. It looked like they must have had some snow last night after Ryan rode, otherwise damn he's good. Steve
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    I hope you have all had the opportunity to play around on the Kincaid STA Trails. A huge thank you to all the contributors and volunteers who made this project happen! You can all pat yourselves on the back for making this community project a reality. Volunteers gave a total of 2,170 hours to the project (hand finishing volunteers plus project managers) which is valued at $45,300.

The trails are fantastic to ski and snowshoe. These activities help pack down fresh snow and firm up the trail. The winter bikers would appreciate the added traffic, so tell all your friends!

A note about winter trail etiquette: At trail crossings, please proceed directly across and do not stop or congregate on the ski trails. The ski trails are for skiing only during winter and we will help to reduce trail conflicts by trying not to block the trail for the skiers. It will take awhile for folks to get used to the new traffic patterns in Kincaid Park. Trail signage will be installed in the next few weeks to help inform all trail users. In the meantime, please play nicely. We are incredibly fortunate to have the support of the Nordic Ski Association of Anchorage!!! Without their coopertion this project wouldn’t have happened. Please consider buying a trail pin or making a donation to ski trail grooming: NSAA Membership.

A draft of the trail map is available on our blog. It isn’t exact but it will give you an idea of the general layout of the trails. A final map is in the works.

Don’t forget to “like” us on Facebook to get up-to-date information on trail conditions and happenings. Please visit our website for maps and more information: Singletrack Advocates.

Happy Thanksgiving!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I was curious, I noticed someone using an old Yamaha fat tired dirt bike to pack in their trails.

Is there anyway that Singletrack Advocates could use a small three wheeler or something of that type to pack in our multi-use trails? Just a thought. I would think that donations would be easy to come by for the purchase/maintenance/gas for something like that.

Just a thought, thanks for all the hard work!

is buachail foighneach me
    Really? A three wheeler to pack the trails for you? It doesn't take that much work for users to pack them by riding/walking/skiing. I thought excercise was part of the deal?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach View Post
    Really? A three wheeler to pack the trails for you? It doesn't take that much work for users to pack them by riding/walking/skiing. I thought excercise was part of the deal?
    Sorry, I didn't known this was such a sensitive subject for you.

is buachail foighneach me
    It is. You made me cry.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Rode from the chalet today. Pushed the first mile, on and off the second. Not until the Jodphur area were the trails really rideable.

The wind has really hammered the first section near the chalet.

mtbr member
    kincaid is shaping up nicely. a bit of deadfall in places, some post holes in others. all in all it's a nice hillside alternative.
    litespeed's break

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I think a three wheeler to groom the STA multiuse trails is an excellent idea. Not everyone is an exercise hound but out to have a good time just like the multitude of skiers enjoying their groomed trails.
    Me, I would benefit from a little bit wider trails and I'm sure it would benefit users with children. The three wheeler is a good idea.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    A single track trail groomer wouldn't be bad however, snowshoes and skis do a great job and provide some good bike cross training. i see the jr nordic kids on the single tracks all the time which is fun to see and helps keep them packed. Now if we could only keep the damn moose off the trails.

I got out some othe other night on snowshoes trying to get the trails packed, tough with all this new snow.

mtbr member
    Thanks for snowshoeing and encouraging others to do the same. We've packed in The Hive, Yellow Jacket, Hornet's Nest, and Queen Bee. Stinger and Janice's Jive still need attention. There's a lot of deadfall, so some chainsaw action would help!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Kincaid STA Status

All the trail sections at Kincaid are riding really nice. The most hard packed are the AWWU-Tang (Raspberry to water tank), Kitchen Sink, and the inner loop. All these have been dragged with a tire and packed. Bluff/Ridge, L-Train to the stadium is packed with skier and foot traffic. The trails closest to the stadium where dragged with a tire but are soft. Toilet Bowl, Good Greef and the trails between the inner loop and 4 corners are all riding pretty nice little more technical and soft. This was as of last night Ryan and I rode all these sections.