Kincaid Park CX race series?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Kincaid Park CX race series?

Hey guys.
    I live down in Kenai & have never ridden in the park, let alone raced there.
    I'm an old guy (47) trying to get back in shape & have been back on the bike for a few weeks. I've done a couple of XC races before, but it's been 6 yrs....
    What type of terain etc should I expect there? How big are the fields?
    And then finally the big decision, Sport or Beginner ......
    Vance in AK.

Jul 2006
    The difference between sport and beginner is the number of laps you take. Here is a link to view the course map Kincaid is well Kincaid, nothing technical and the course tonight is on the main trail so to speak but it looks like they are running it reverse. So there is one climb that gets in the way but that is about it.

Ologist
    To elaborate on what Bubba said, Kincaid is a bunch of rolly, well shaped, cross country ski trails. Hardtails and <4" travel bikes are perfect for the trail system out there. I am not familiar with the race course but I would expect a roller coaster of ups and downs on featureless hard pack.

I don't race, but I do ride Kincaid on my cycloss bike and it seems perfectly suited.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thanks Bubba.
    I guess that was one of my big questions. How technical, how much climbing, etc.
    Having never pre-ridden the course I'll obviously be at a bit of a disadvantage.
    I've been doing 20+ mile bike trail rides (rolling stuff) & getting out to the local XC ski trails (Skyview) & putting in 10+ miles out there with about a 10mph avg. There's a fair amount of up & down but no technical stuff.
    If I can get up there for the race it will be nice to get out & play again.
    Vance in AK.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thanks Valhalla.
    Sounds like my Razorback should be perfect! If only I were
    Sounds a lot like where I've been riding lately.
    Vance in AK.

Jul 2006
    Vance if you make it give me a shout. I will pm you my contact info. You will do just fine; after all it is about getting out on the bike and having a good time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thanks Bubba.
    I should have mentioned I'm looking at the 14th of Aug....
    Got the PM, & will get ahold of you then if I can make it up.
    Vance in AK.

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    I'm taking that week off from work. Maybe I can meet you guys out there. I have to put a new front der cable on my bike though...not a good idea to throw 2 bikes in the back of a buddy's truck!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Hey guys.
    I'll be out of internet contact for the next few days but should make the race. I'll probably be there 6ish, no later than 6:30. Chunky 47 tr old guy, not an overubandance of hair, & glasses. I'll be riding a K2 Razorback Team. Probably blue baggies (black if lycra), & a yellow jersey that says BOMB on it. Mostly blue Vigor helmet, with black, silver, & gray trim.
    Blue Ford Winstar van with 2 bike trays on top.
    If you see me be sure & say "Hi".
    Vance in AK.

Members who have read this thread: 0