Kesugi Ridge Trail- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Kesugi Ridge Trail

Has anyone ever ridden this or know of anyone who has?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Based on the information here: http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/maps/kesugisouth.pdf , it appears that Kesugi Ridge is only open for hiking, biking not allowed. Anyone know otherwise?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Called the park headquarters and they said it was open.

mtbr member
    I would bet that someone has their wires crossed here. I'm sure what the state parks meant by open was that it is "snow free and able to be traveled". I've hiked the section from LCC to EH several times and have never seen a biker out there. Additionally, the brochure that is linked to above specifically excludes 'biking' from 'allowable uses'.

sluice box
    I've never seen bikers on that trail also but I've seen their tracks off trail in the alpine tundra. Tread lightly folks.
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Temptations

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Based on the information here: http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/maps/kesugisouth.pdf , it appears that Kesugi Ridge is only open for hiking, biking not allowed. Anyone know otherwise?
    The ticket might be worth the ride. All state parks are off limits to mtb so I'd consider the ticket the equivalent of a lift ticket or pass. Sometimes people ride the state park in Kodiak but be mindful of hikers because they're not expecting to see you. I'd ride early or late or whenever it's not populated if you go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by simpterfex View Post
    The ticket might be worth the ride. All state parks are off limits to mtb so I'd consider the ticket the equivalent of a lift ticket or pass. Sometimes people ride the state park in Kodiak but be mindful of hikers because they're not expecting to see you. I'd ride early or late or whenever it's not populated if you go.
    If fat-bikers are to continue to form positive relationships with land management agencies, non-profits, other user groups, and even individual community members, I would strongly dissuade anyone from riding where it's illegal. The cost of such behavior is not a 'ticket to ride', but of reduced trail access, negative perceptions, and an increase of difficulty of creating inroads/finding common ground/changing laws that allow new user groups to use existing trails. That type of mentality will just serve to diminish our collective voice. Don't be that guy/gal.

Bikes are good
    So do you think that eventually all bike closed trails will be open if everyone followed the rules on those trails all the time? "Closed to bikers" on any trail seems like complete insanity to me. In the winter, especially. Unless of course those trails are specifically maintained for the ski dudes. I agree that people shouldn't go poaching, or if they do, don't go post on here about how to do it or that you did it. That being said, we can kiss all the a$$ we want and I doubt no biking signs will start falling off of existing trails. Let alone a trail project that actually accesses the chugach mountains and is open to bikes. I'll follow the rules, but only because I like being a nice guy, not because I think my compliance will convince the magical trail biking gods to create or open more bike trails. Kesugi ridge would be an epic trip for sure.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50 View Post
    So do you think that eventually all bike closed trails will be open if everyone followed the rules on those trails all the time? "Closed to bikers" on any trail seems like complete insanity to me. In the winter, especially. Unless of course those trails are specifically maintained for the ski dudes. I agree that people shouldn't go poaching, or if they do, don't go post on here about how to do it or that you did it. That being said, we can kiss all the a$$ we want and I doubt no biking signs will start falling off of existing trails. Let alone a trail project that actually accesses the chugach mountains and is open to bikes. I'll follow the rules, but only because I like being a nice guy, not because I think my compliance will convince the magical trail biking gods to create or open more bike trails. Kesugi ridge would be an epic trip for sure.
    No, all trails closed to bikes will not be open to them, but some will be. There are already a number of trails that have been closed to bikes for a long time being opening to them, some seasonally, some year round. No, it won't happen to all trails and it won't necessarily happen quickly, but it is happening. "no biking" signs ARE falling off of existing trails. A lot of work has been done by individuals and groups to get us as far as we have so far and keep things going in the right direction. Let's not undo their work.

Bikes are good
    Which ones? Middle fork and wolverine bowl in the winter is one I know of. I agree with you on not breaking closure rules, but still skeptical about the optimism that if we are all behaving there will be less no biking signs. I hope I'm wrong. I am often.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50 View Post
    Which ones? Middle fork and wolverine bowl in the winter is one I know of. I agree with you on not breaking closure rules, but still skeptical about the optimism that if we are all behaving there will be less no biking signs. I hope I'm wrong. I am often.
    Rabbit Lakes and some trails out at the Eagle River Nature Center are others to add to the list that are in the process of being opened up soon.

Bikes are good
    That's good to hear. They closed rabbit lake officially and now they'll open it again. Fingers crossed for more access in the future. More trails is more better.